Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training camp day 5 8/1

@NewColtsFan, I already know where you stand. It seems like you don't want AR to start under no circumstance which is confusing in itself. What if he has 2 outstanding games in pre-season and he says he's ready to start and feels comfortable doing so, how can you disagree with that? That is all I am saying in a nutshell. There is really nothing confusing about my thinking, coaches start rookie QB's all the time if they think they are ready. I also did specify that I was talking about top 5 picks as well.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@NewColtsFan, I already know where you stand. It seems like you don't want AR under no circumstance which is confusing in itself. What if he has 2 outstanding games in pre-season and he says he's ready to start and feels comfortable doing so, how can you disagree with that? That is all I am saying in a nutshell. There is really nothing confusing about my thinking, coaches start rookie QB's all the time if they think they are ready. I also did specify that I was talking about top 5 picks as well.

I think you meant to tag Nickster there chief.

Just now, RollerColt said:

I was under the impression from most of the media and experts that the biggest thing Anthony needs is experience. Practice reps are essential, but so is actual live game experience. And there's only one way to increase that... 

That is what I am saying. The media for the most part has been saying that on ESPN and the NFL Network.

20 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I think you meant to tag Nickster there chief.

We shouldn’t be winning much this year.  I would suspect Minshew would give us a better chance to win early, he’s been a decent QB in the league for a while, but that I don’t even consider.

My concern is the team around him as far as protection goes. He won’t develop if he’s always on his skates or his adz like our QBs have been the last two seasons.  If Moss cannot play, he’s a plus pass protector.

Im not in the least confident in this line in pass pro.  If I had to guess I’d say they won’t be very good hopefully not bottom 1 or 2 like recent lines, but I wouldn’t play AR until week 9 if they are godawful terrible like the last two years.  No reason for him to take the beatings all season that Wentz and Ryan endured.  I wouldn’t think that would help him develop either.

Just now, Nickster said:

We shouldn’t be winning much this year.  I would suspect Minshew would give us a better chance to win early, he’s been a decent QB in the league for a while, but that I don’t even consider.

My concern is the team around him as far as protection goes. He won’t develop if he’s always on his skates or his adz like our QBs have been the last two seasons.  If Moss cannot play, he’s a plus pass protector.

Im not in the least confident in this line in pass pro.  If I had to guess I’d say they won’t be very good, but I wouldn’t play AR until week 9 if they are godawful terrible like the last two years.  No reason for him to take the beatings all season that Wentz and Ryan endured.  I wouldn’t think that would help him develop either.

The line will be a major factor I think in how this all plays out. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Im not in the least confident in this line in pass pro.  If I had to guess I’d say they won’t be very good, but I wouldn’t play AR until week 9 if they are godawful terrible like the last two years.  No reason for him to take the beatings all season that Wentz and Ryan endured.  I wouldn’t think that would help him develop either.

To me it depends on if he and the coach thinks he's ready in week 1. If not, I am fine either way. For some in here just to be opposed to AR starting on opening day no matter what is baffling. It isn't even about the wins/losses this year, it is about AR improving going into season 2. 

Who knows, if AR plays we may win 8 or 9 games and surprise everyone. We have an average schedule and play in a weak division.

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Meh media schmedia.  Great coaches including Reid would not ever start a rookie QB.

If you are referring to Mahomes, that is a poor take. Chiefs already had a good QB in Alex Smith who was right at top 10 material at the time - Chiefs were a playoff team. Rodgers didn't play either but is was because the Packers had Favre and were also good.

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So let me get this straight, if AR looks great in pre-season and feels comfortable starting on opening day, also Shane feels good about it, then some are still against that? That makes about as much sense as Homer not liking Donuts lmao 

There was an episode of the simpsons treehouse of horror where homer kept using the toaster to switch to different timelines, and eventually he found one where his family were respectable, Patty and Selma died (his sister in laws he hates), and they are rich. He then asks Marge for a Donut and she says "what's a donut?" He runs out of the room and switches timelines and it rains donuts outside.

Homer would have been in paradise.

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@NewColtsFan, I already know where you stand. It seems like you don't want AR to start under no circumstance which is confusing in itself. What if he has 2 outstanding games in pre-season and he says he's ready to start and feels comfortable doing so, how can you disagree with that? That is all I am saying in a nutshell. There is really nothing confusing about my thinking, coaches start rookie QB's all the time if they think they are ready. I also did specify that I was talking about top 5 picks as well.

Please…. 

I’m fine if AR starts if he’s ready.   That’s Steichen’s call.   

What I’m not fine with is the typical nonsense of….  “the only way to get better is to play”    Thanks for that old school logic of throwing QBs in the deep end and telling them to swim.    Tell that to Patrick Mahomes.   

If you can’t see that AR is a unique case and needs a unique plan after all that’s been talked about here, then I don’t know what to tell you.    Solving a 2023 issue with 1983 thinking doesn’t cut it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To me it depends on if he and the coach thinks he's ready in week 1. If not, I am fine either way. For some in here just to be opposed to AR starting on opening day no matter what is baffling. It isn't even about the wins/losses this year, it is about AR improving going into season 2. 

Who knows, if AR plays we may win 8 or 9 games and surprise everyone. We have an average schedule and play in a weak division.

but Bestie, great football minds including Andy Reid believe QBs develop best starting in the sideline.  So I don’t understand why you’re so baffled bro.

• Like 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Please…. 

What I’m not fine with is the typical nonsense of….  “the only way to get better is to play”    Thanks for that old school logic of throwing QBs in the deep end and telling them to swim.    Tell that to Patrick Mahomes.   

If you can’t see that AR is a unique case and needs a unique plan after all that’s been talked about here, then I don’t know what to tell you.    Solving a 2023 issue with 1983 thinking doesn’t cut it. 

I should clarify that I'm honestly alright either way as far as Richardson playing this year or sitting and learning. I do think he needs to play in a few games in designed packages, perhaps not start but at least get a feel for the true speed of opposing defenses and such. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Please…. 

See above, using Mahomes as an example is a poor take, sorry my friend. They had Alex Smith who was a proven good QB and they were a playoff team. Look at what Mahomes did after 0 starts in year 2. I don't think him sitting a year made any difference at all. Mahomes would've been great right out of the gate. They had Smith though.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If you are referring to Mahomes, that is a poor take. Chiefs already had a good QB in Alex Smith who was right at top 10 material at the time - Chiefs were a playoff team. Rodgers didn't play either but is was because the Packers had Favre and were also good.

I’m pretty sure he’s said he’s for bringing them along slowly.  But even if I misremember, most coaches in history has most today do not start rooks right away.

This is neither controversial nor should it be baffling.

18 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I was under the impression from most of the media and experts that the biggest thing Anthony needs is experience. Practice reps are essential, but so is actual live game experience. And there's only one way to increase that... 

Richardson also needs to work on footwork and mechanics, especially as he's working through progressions. That can be drilled, and should be. But I don't know if that needs to hold him back from playing.

To me, I keep saying, the timeline should be based on when Richardson can handle game speed and run some version of the passing game that works in the modern NFL. The timeline is not about a comparison with Minshew, it's not really about Richardson's accuracy either. It's whether he can function and run a somewhat competent offense. And while I agree that playing is generally the best way for him to get better, I also think it's possible to harm his development if he gets thrown to the wolves too soon. There should be no rush, and even if Minshew starts and is awful, it doesn't justify pushing Richardson out there before he's ready.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I’m pretty sure he’s said he’s for bringing them along slowly.  But even if I misremember, most coaches in history has most today do not start rooks right away.

Huh? Recently, Baker Mayfield, Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow, and Trevor Lawrence all started from day 1. That is just real recent, there have been many more.

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

SS has a six year deal with a new shiny QB for 4 years maybe 5.  I don't see any reason why he needs to force AR into a starters role early.  They both have the time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Richardson also needs to work on footwork and mechanics, especially as he's working through progressions. That can be drilled, and should be. But I don't know if that needs to hold him back from playing.

To me, I keep saying, the timeline should be based on when Richardson can handle game speed and run some version of the passing game that works in the modern NFL. The timeline is not about a comparison with Minshew, it's not really about Richardson's accuracy either. It's whether he can function and run a somewhat competent offense. And while I agree that playing is generally the best way for him to get better, I also think it's possible to harm his development if he gets thrown to the wolves too soon. There should be no rush, and even if Minshew starts and is awful, it doesn't justify pushing Richardson out there before he's ready.

Oh I'm all for that, truly. Sometimes my writing doesn't always get what I'm thinking across that well. That's a me problem, definitely not you guys... 

I imagine the staff has an understanding better than all of us on how to proceed with this, and they'll stick to that guideline to the letter. As most have said, this year isn't about winning a Super Bowl, it's about development and growth. I was just speculating that weeks 5-6 could be a good time for Anthony to join the field. My reasoning was more of the "if Minshew is playing well and the team is winning" scenario that they could keep Gardner out there longer to ride the hot hand. 

No doubt the general public will start demanding AR if Minshew is bad, but the coaches can and will ignore that. Like you said, the last thing we want to do is David Carr the poor guy... 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Huh? Recently, Baker Mayfield, Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow, and Trevor Lawrence all started from day 1. That is just real recent, there have been many more.

But none of them looked nearly as bad as what AR is bound to look early.  They all were ready to play, and even though Lawrence struggled with processing and game speed, he could at least throw the ball very well.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Joe, Justin, and Trevor were all quite polished and again had a lot of games under their belt before even being drafted. Even Baker had more experience than AR... 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who feels that way?    Don’t play your passive-aggressive nonsense with me.  Who?    Don’t say “some” here,  tell me who?!?    Cuz it sure ain’t me. 

I’ve repeatedly said it’s Steichen’s call. 

And most every time you write that you know my position — you prove you don’t.   That’s gotten old and tired. 

I have never heard you once say that AR should start if he's ready. If you have posted that, than my apologies. I have seen many other posters that don't think he should start. When I have took the stand and I say he should if he is ready and Shane thinks he's ready, I get confused face and sad faced constantly.

I would say more but I am not in the mood to be put in a bad mood by you. You constantly pick fights in here with everyone and confuse and sad face them which shows you don't value many opinion's in here, that is what is getting old.

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Joe, Justin, and Trevor were all quite polished and again had a lot of games under their belt before even being drafted. Even Baker had more experience than AR... 

All I am saying is if AR is ready and Shane thinks he is he should start on opening day. How hard is that for anyone to comprehend. Goodness gracious lmao 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

All I am saying is if AR is ready and Shane thinks he is he should start on opening day. How hard is that for anyone to comprehend. Goodness gracious lmao 

You know we're good '06. I think most will be in agreement that IF he is ready by Shane's choosing, then it's all good with us. No one's really arguing against that. We just don't want to see our potential future QB get obliterated this year. 

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nobody disagrees with that. How could anyone disagree with that? But a lot of people think he will not be ready.

1 minute ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Nobody disagrees with that. How could anyone disagree with that?

I don't know, there are some in here that have posted they are opposed to starting a rookie QB no matter what. I just go by what I read. I am pretty sure a guy like Mahomes would have been just fine starting as a rookie. I give a great response to why he didn't start and it doesn't matter. They had freakin Alex Smith is why. It is obvious.

• Like 1

Colts fans, no need to argue over when AR starts.

We all have opinions, some that differ hugely.

SS is the only opinion that counts.  AR starts when SS says he's ready.

We will all have to live with that decision.

• Like 5

Just now, PRnum1 said:

Colts fans, no need to argue over when AR starts.

We all have opinions, some that differ hugely.

SS is the only opinion that counts.  AR starts when SS says he's ready.

We will all have to live with that decision.

I am actually good either way. Shane knows more than any of us.

• Like 2