Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Face Mask Shields for QBs

mirobi48

It's a good idea to do the "Texas Hold 'Em" thing with tinted visors so that they cannot see your eyes.

But I believe it's an NFL rule that you cannot wear a tinted visor unless you have a medical exemption that says your eyes are overly sensitive to sunlight (or similar issue).

Back in the day, Bears QB Jim McMahon wore sunglasses all the time due to his light sensitivity.  (He wasn't just trying to look cool.  Although he did.)

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 10:04 AM, John Hammonds said:

It's a good idea to do the "Texas Hold 'Em" thing with tinted visors so that they cannot see your eyes.

But I believe it's an NFL rule that you cannot wear a tinted visor unless you have a medical exemption that says your eyes are overly sensitive to sunlight (or similar issue).

Back in the day, Bears QB Jim McMahon wore sunglasses all the time due to his light sensitivity.  (He wasn't just trying to look cool.  Although he did.)

Back when I was young and stupid in college, I would wear contact lenses for 12-14 hours a day… well one day all of that abuse to my eyes finally caught up with me and caused me a nice painful ulcer right next to my iris… and thanks to that scar I am now always sensitive to light and wearing sunglasses when outside. Even overcast causes me discomfort!

Where am I going with this? 

Dont Know Idk GIF by Marko Penn

The NFL has a rule against this for this very reason.  QBs have to get special clearance to wear a shield and that’s rare and it’s even more rare to get one to wear one that’s not clear and it’s outlawed period if you play indoors and you are a QB.

AR has to first get proficient as a passer before safeties start respecting his head fakes and eyes, right? Let us not put the cart before the horse too early. :) 

It is like volleying in tennis. Make the basic open court volley against your opponent consistently for them to respect it. You can start going behind them to wrong foot them once you get the basics and the control down.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I think if a QB can get permission to wear one, they should.  Protect their eyes at all costs.

Agreed, even a clear visor would prevent them getting poked or otherwise have their eyeballs attacked.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 9:04 AM, John Hammonds said:

Super Bowl Arts GIF by Mic

• Like 2