Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Play calling


strt182
 Share

Recommended Posts

I know there are probably threads on this but I was thinking about something last night.

 

I'm thinking one of the issues is that the playbook hasn't changed to work on Ryan's strengths. Frank liked calling RPOs.  Also there is very little involvement of the TE's except for blocking. You will see the Colts' TEs catch a pass or 2 a game. 

 

Peyton had Clark, Luck had Doyle ect . 

 

And yes i know the issue with the line has made things rougher on some of the plays but against the Eagles we did see some slants and crossing routes so it seems to be getting a lil more creative now that Parks has been calling the plays. 

 

Do you all think that Parks will start adjusting plays to suit the players skills more?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know how much Parks can do. He could incorporate more motion and reverses with Parris in the back field like the Chiefs do with Hardman, or Campbell throwing a pass too for a trick play if he sees safeties cheating towards the LOS if Pittman is 1-on-1 and streaking with separation. We don't have a small speedy RB anymore to match up against LBs, so it is going to have to be up to Granson to beat them consistently. Not that we used Hines correctly in that fashion anyways. 

 

If anything, I would say come up with a brand new set of plays not in Reich's playbook for red zone plays where zones are squeezed. That is what Peyton would do with Clyde Christensen, who was next in line behind Tom Moore. Tom Moore and Peyton would mainly focus on plays between the 20s and Clyde and Peyton would focus on extra red zone plays every week based on matchups. 

 

A few examples would be:

 

1. Force a couple of pass catchers short of the sticks while sending one closer to the back of the end zone if they play heavy zone and the ball will be thrown with touch towards the back of the end zone pylon for toe drag swag catches

 

2. My favorite one was outside WR breaking in, inside slot WR breaking out with ball thrown waist to shoulder level quickly and slot WR breaking the front pylon

 

3. Then you had Jacob Tamme faking like he was going for a catch at the front of the end zone line and turning around and proceeding straight to the back of the end zone and ball released before the break with other WRs clearing that portion of the back of the end zone. So, the DB HAS TO jump not letting Tamme catch the ball, and if he tries to grab Tamme when Tamme fakes and runs towards the back of the end zone, it is a PI but if he is even slightly juked without PI, the timing of the ball will end up with Tamme catching a TD at the back of the end zone, which happened with Peyton. 

 

It takes WRs being on the same page for spatial awareness, and coming up with plays exclusively for the red zone, IMO. Once we do that, our red zone efficiency goes up and if you look at recent struggles, we punch in a TD extra per game, we would be winning more games. We just don't use the corners of the end zone enough, IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, strt182 said:

I know there are probably threads on this but I was thinking about something last night.

 

I'm thinking one of the issues is that the playbook hasn't changed to work on Ryan's strengths. Frank liked calling RPOs.  Also there is very little involvement of the TE's except for blocking. You will see the Colts' TEs catch a pass or 2 a game. 

 

Peyton had Clark, Luck had Doyle ect . 

 

And yes i know the issue with the line has made things rougher on some of the plays but against the Eagles we did see some slants and crossing routes so it seems to be getting a lil more creative now that Parks has been calling the plays. 

 

Do you all think that Parks will start adjusting plays to suit the players skills more?

Parks had his chance in the red zone against the Eagles.  I was waiting for a throw to Cox in the corner of the end zone.  Never happened.  Cox scored twice in the end zone in earlier games in the red zone.  Our tight ends are average right now.  We need them for blocking and they are not great at that.  Parks needs to step it up to impress me.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There was not going to be a change in playbook halfway through the season. Just hope players execute better.

 

Yes, that is why I said add a few plays for the red zone every game based on matchups. That way, the learning curve is incremental and small every week. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, strt182 said:

I know there are probably threads on this but I was thinking about something last night.

 

I'm thinking one of the issues is that the playbook hasn't changed to work on Ryan's strengths. Frank liked calling RPOs.  Also there is very little involvement of the TE's except for blocking. You will see the Colts' TEs catch a pass or 2 a game. 

 

Peyton had Clark, Luck had Doyle ect . 

 

And yes i know the issue with the line has made things rougher on some of the plays but against the Eagles we did see some slants and crossing routes so it seems to be getting a lil more creative now that Parks has been calling the plays. 

 

Do you all think that Parks will start adjusting plays to suit the players skills more?

 

Big topic. Big in terms of complexity and size... My random thoughts... 

  • Presser comments about increasing chunk plays... Guessing you can translate more, deeper, passing... and likely chunk runs too. 
  • Agree, yes OL situation has limited us, but looked better the last two weeks. Last week, far from great, but better, and against a great D/roster. 
  • Can't see much more TE use right now.
    • Not with Pitt coming to town. More blocking Monday. 
    • Granson is improving, but it's more of choice between Granson in the slot, or likely Parris or Pierce. And Parris has been much better (efficiency/consistency) than Pierce. And Granson is probably is better (efficiency/consistency) than Pierce. Pierce is good at chunk plays. But consistency is not there, and routes still need work. 
    • When Woods (he practiced today IIRC) is back, might see more use. 
  • On Parks adjusting. I think we saw that with PC last game, and to an extent vs LVR too. 
    • And to your point - we saw more slants and crossers, and IMO is better suited to some players vs opponent LBs and slots and SSs.. 
  • Overall - the scheme and playbook is staying (remainder of the year). Player utilization, situational play calling, route combos, depth of passing, and perhaps some OL scheme (run game), will likely be tweaked the rest of the year. I'm guessing Ryan, Parks, and perhaps Reggie, are all putting their heads together....
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Agree to an extent. Playbook isn't going anywhere, but we can look different within the existing playbook. Not a huge departure, but a difference in aspects. 

the first week was nice, but it was against a bad defense. 

 

last week didn't look that much different from what we've had on the average. 

 

Im hoping sunday we see a more extended view on Frazier's "aggressive in his own way" philosophy. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

the first week was nice, but it was against a bad defense. 

 

last week didn't look that much different from what we've had on the average. 

 

Im hoping sunday we see a more extended view on Frazier's "aggressive in his own way" philosophy. 

 

Philly has a great D, especially vs the pass. And our O looked better than I expected. Matt's target chart looked pretty good given Philly's defense. IMO, more 10+ yard targets than I thought. 

 

And.... no INTs... 

 

Before Jeff... vs now... 

  1. Ryan had only 2 games with 50+ QBR games... Since Jeff, 2 straight games with 50+.
  2. Ryan has only 2 games with 0 INT games.... Since Jeff, 2 straight games with 0 INTs. 
  3. We've had only the lead starting the 4Q in 2 games. Both since Jeff... 

Not saying that the O is great. Not at all.

But that's 3 big things... in the last 2 weeks. 

Hoping things continue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/23/2022 at 7:56 PM, EastStreet said:

 

Philly has a great D, especially vs the pass. And our O looked better than I expected. Matt's target chart looked pretty good given Philly's defense. IMO, more 10+ yard targets than I thought. 

 

And.... no INTs... 

 

Before Jeff... vs now... 

  1. Ryan had only 2 games with 50+ QBR games... Since Jeff, 2 straight games with 50+.
  2. Ryan has only 2 games with 0 INT games.... Since Jeff, 2 straight games with 0 INTs. 
  3. We've had only the lead starting the 4Q in 2 games. Both since Jeff... 

Not saying that the O is great. Not at all.

But that's 3 big things... in the last 2 weeks. 

Hoping things continue. 

Two guys off the street and they dominated the highest paid Olne!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Suh and Joseph

And Suh and Joseph are just "two guys off the street"... 

Come on...

Both are high quality vets with a history of guns for hire... 

I'm sure both are probably grading 75+ since they joined.

I'm sure they'll both collect a couple mil for a half season, and were happy to do it (playing on a playoff team)... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

And Suh and Joseph are just "two guys off the street"... 

Come on...

Both are high quality vets with a history of guns for hire... 

I'm sure both are probably grading 75+ since they joined.

I'm sure they'll both collect a couple mil for a half season, and were happy to do it (playing on a playoff team)... 

The difference between a great GM and an below average.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The difference between a great GM and an below average.

Philly is going all in... because they leading the NFC... now their roster is great.... 

But... a few years ago... it was dumpster fire. Remember???

I'm never amazed about your lack of context lol.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...