Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Glass Half Full Guy Says...

Smonroe

23 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s why I’d rather see them try Kelly at right guard with Pinter at Center.  I just know watching Thursday i am done with Pryor.  9 pressures given up in a game is beyond bad.

I think guards do heavier lifting than centers do so in my mind if a guy is struggling at center then im not sure if guard is going to bring better outcomes. I could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think guards do heavier lifting than centers do so in my mind if a guy is struggling at center then im not sure if guard is going to bring better outcomes. I could be wrong.

I think it’s the best of a bad situation.  The other option would be Smith at Guard and trying Dennis Kelly at RT.  

40 minutes ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

What are your thoughts on more three Tight End Sets, with Mo chipping to the left, Granson in the slot, Woods chipping on the right.....Pittman and Pierce wide?  More quick hits and a little more time....

Interesting question.   Interesting to me because the “zero backfield” is my least favorite formation.   Unless you have a running threat QB like Jackson, Murray, Allen or even Tannehill, a zero backfield screams to the defense that we’re passing!   I like having a threat of a run,  especially with our RB crew. 

All that said….  Your suggestion would work for me if used selectively and strategically.   Red Zone, key first downs…. That would interest me.   Maybe 5 times a game +/-.

Appreciate the outside the box thinking.  

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting question.   Interesting to me because the “zero backfield” is my least favorite formation.   Unless you have a running threat QB like Jackson, Murray, Allen or even Tannehill, a zero backfield screams to the defense that we’re passing!   I like having a threat of a run,  especially with our RB crew. 

All that said….  Your suggestion would work for me if used selectively and strategically.   Red Zone, key first downs…. That would interest me.   Maybe 5 times a game +/-.

Appreciate the outside the box thinking.  

You would still have a running back in this scenario...

56 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

?????

You listed three tight ends and two wide receivers.    That’s 5 receivers.   

No room for a running back.   

I’d rather use 2 TEs / 2 WRs all the time running or passing from the same symmetrical formations keeping the D guessing. Colts in the Manning days used to do that with 2 good blocking TEs in Dilger and Pollard and a good RB Edge that read the blocks well. Maybe we bring the stretch play back, I’d like to see that from those formations. 

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I’d rather use 2 TEs / 2 WRs all the time running or passing from the same symmetrical formations keeping the D guessing. Colts in the Manning days used to do that with 2 good blocking TEs in Dilger and Pollard and a good RB Edge that read the blocks well. Maybe we bring the stretch play back, I’d like to see that from those formations. 

Im a fan of that as well…  I don’t mind switching it up every once in a while.  But I like 12 and 11 personnel groupings.   

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Guys! I'm not sure if Frank Reich thinks of offensive formations as much as you've discussed here, based on how each game has started... :D

9 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Guys! I'm not sure if Frank Reich thinks of offensive formations as much as you've discussed here, based on how each game has started... :D

Of course he does, but for stretch plays, the OL positioning of hands is important and teams with lighter and more athletic OL guys do it better, not sure where our OL falls other than turnstile at this point :). You can do variations of the stretch play with outside zone on either sides and can do RPO stretch too.

The OL guys aren’t winning enough or their technique isn’t working, so plays called can’t be executed well.

On 10/8/2022 at 7:08 PM, LiveAndLetAddai said:

What are your thoughts on more three Tight End Sets, with Mo chipping to the left, Granson in the slot, Woods chipping on the right.....Pittman and Pierce wide?  More quick hits and a little more time....

i would say this and get out of the shotgun and give JT the ball on the run. let the oline hit downfield fast on run games to mess up their stunts. if it quick on running plays their stunts want have time to develop.

also you could run the same with play action and draw plays

On 10/8/2022 at 11:56 PM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Maybe Frank tried to over-choreograph the plays, and the players are just trying to follow the footprints he layed out on the field?

Archived