Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank's "feel of the game" is lacking and gets too cute with special plays

TigerColt

A few things I have noticed during Frank's tenure is his ability to notice when a player is hot and does not go back to them.  Example of this was Woods electric catch and run and he is promptly pulled to go back to the run package only to get stalled..... again.  We were destroying the defense with TEs and once we get in the red zone, run up the gut a few times which sets up the dreaded 3rd and long and sack / fumble game.

Another example is going to a "special" play in a critical time in the game (mostly on goal line and 4 down situations) only to fail miserably.   They may practice the trick play a few times during the week but its never practiced against live speed thus they are always blown up.  Just line up in your standard formations so the players can have a better chance to focus on just executing the play. A commentator during the game even pointed this out.  

I love Franks leadership, demeaner during the game, and his press conferences but I'm starting to side with the group that says he should give up play calling so he can "read the game within the game".  He is so focused on play calling I think he gets lost in the weeds to see the bigger picture.

Joseph

32 minutes ago, cjrichard said:

A few things I have noticed during Frank's tenure is his ability to notice when a player is hot and does not go back to them.  Example of this was Woods electric catch and run and he is promptly pulled to go back to the run package only to get stalled..... again.  We were destroying the defense with TEs and once we get in the red zone, run up the gut a few times which sets up the dreaded 3rd and long and sack / fumble game.

Another example is going to a "special" play in a critical time in the game (mostly on goal line and 4 down situations) only to fail miserably.   They may practice the trick play a few times during the week but its never practiced against live speed thus they are always blown up.  Just line up in your standard formations so the players can have a better chance to focus on just executing the play. A commentator during the game even pointed this out.  

I love Franks leadership, demeaner during the game, and his press conferences but I'm starting to side with the group that says he should give up play calling so he can "read the game within the game".  He is so focused on play calling I think he gets lost in the weeds to see the bigger picture.

Joseph

I've noticed that too. A player makes a great play and it's like...ok sit your butt down  and don't do that again!!

This should definitely be merged with the other topic where we were talking about the same thing. 

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

@w87r @Shive - tasks/thoughts for you, this is another coaching issue discussion thread like 

Do we merge all GM issue threads and coaching issue threads? It is either about Frank Reich or Chris Ballard mostly as the "pitch fork's" flavor of the week. :) 

Merging the Ballard threads would be hard because they’re all about 7+ pages.

Archived