Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Staring QB battles 2022

holeymoley99

Not many spots open this season.......

Carolina-Appears Baker Mayfield was brought in to start on Sam Darnold with Matt Corral getting a red shirt,would take a major fail for Baker not to start imo

Seattle-Geno Smith starts with a sizable lead can Drew Lock's bigger arm catch him up ? Eason sits 3rd,distant 3rd. I expect Smith to start but Lock to be in by game 4-5 and shows enough to earn a backup spot for next season. If Jimmy G gets released and finds his way to Seattle we have a different conversation however.

Cleveland-Jacoby Brissett  ....whoever else Browns bring in with Wastson out for the season most likely (outside shot just 12 games). Unless it is Jimmy G getting reunited can't see any other vet pushing J.B. Newton is spent,Bortles isnt an upgrade. Dobbs is just a guy to hold the clipboard. If Jimmie G comes in he wins the spot hands down.

Atlanta-Marcus Mariota is thought of by many as the worst expected NFL starter,Desmond Ritter was brought in to perhaps start this year but likely next. Can Ritter show enough to push Mariota,will Marus get injured once more ? What if M.M. shocks everyone and takes one of the worst rosters in the NFL and starts generating wins ? I think M.M. wins 4-6 games and stays healthy all season.

Pittsburgh-Mitchell Trubisky with a sizable lead over Kenny Pickett by all reports and should start opening day and could thrive if he learned as much last season in Buff as reports said he did. Mason Rudolph the forgotten QB in all this talk,was waiting for Big Ben to retire to get his chance,it happens and he slides to 3rd on the depth chart.

A few vets who could lose their jobs due to pay later in 2022....

Daniel Jones-Doesnt have much behind him but has to finally show something,the clock is ticking

Tua- Bridgewater was brought in for a reason,Phins brought in many weapons if Tua doesnt show it now he likely never will

Winston-Andy Dalton has enough left not to embarrass a club if losses are mounting and turnovers are why

Goff-Another case of little talent behind him (Boyle and Blough..worst QB room in the NFL)

I think Pickett will unseat Trubisky by mid season. 

I think Willis could unseat Tannehill by week 14 or sooner if he comes in earlier because of a Tannehill injury and never gives up the job. .... maybe like a Wally Pip/Lou Gehrig situation???

Whoever is backing up Tua has a chance to unseat him.

20 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Not many spots open this season.......

Carolina-Appears Baker Mayfield was brought in to start on Sam Darnold with Matt Corral getting a red shirt,would take a major fail for Baker not to start imo

Seattle-Geno Smith starts with a sizable lead can Drew Lock's bigger arm catch him up ? Eason sits 3rd,distant 3rd. I expect Smith to start but Lock to be in by game 4-5 and shows enough to earn a backup spot for next season. If Jimmy G gets released and finds his way to Seattle we have a different conversation however.

Cleveland-Jacoby Brissett  ....whoever else Browns bring in with Wastson out for the season most likely (outside shot just 12 games). Unless it is Jimmy G getting reunited can't see any other vet pushing J.B. Newton is spent,Bortles isnt an upgrade. Dobbs is just a guy to hold the clipboard. If Jimmie G comes in he wins the spot hands down.

Atlanta-Marcus Mariota is thought of by many as the worst expected NFL starter,Desmond Ritter was brought in to perhaps start this year but likely next. Can Ritter show enough to push Mariota,will Marus get injured once more ? What if M.M. shocks everyone and takes one of the worst rosters in the NFL and starts generating wins ? I think M.M. wins 4-6 games and stays healthy all season.

Pittsburgh-Mitchell Trubisky with a sizable lead over Kenny Pickett by all reports and should start opening day and could thrive if he learned as much last season in Buff as reports said he did. Mason Rudolph the forgotten QB in all this talk,was waiting for Big Ben to retire to get his chance,it happens and he slides to 3rd on the depth chart.

A few vets who could lose their jobs due to pay later in 2022....

Daniel Jones-Doesnt have much behind him but has to finally show something,the clock is ticking

Tua- Bridgewater was brought in for a reason,Phins brought in many weapons if Tua doesnt show it now he likely never will

Winston-Andy Dalton has enough left not to embarrass a club if losses are mounting and turnovers are why

Goff-Another case of little talent behind him (Boyle and Blough..worst QB room in the NFL)

i wouldn't say Mariotta is the worst NFL starter.

Brissett

Geno Smith

Danial Jones

and a few others can/will challenge him for that spot.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Brissett

Geno Smith

Danial Jones

ESPN just came out with their top 10 QB's going into 2022 and Matt Ryan wasn't on it. Doesn't surprise me. They have:

1. Rodgers

2. Mahomes

3. Allen

4. Brady

5. Burrow

6. Stafford

7. Herbert

8. Wilson

9. Watson

10. Dak

I have issues with this list of course. Watson should not be on it because of pending suspension. He may not play at all (we are just talking 2022). ESPN talking heads keep saying Lamar should be top 10 but he is injury prone, and when was the last time Dak won a playoff game? - never. 

I have switched my list around just a tad and go as of today = July 11th, these are the QB's I would want going into 2022:

1. Mahomes - all-time Rodgers is the better QB but if I had the #1 pick going into 2022 it would be this guy and easily.

2. Rodgers - MVP

3. Brady - They could make the SB again because the NFC is top heavy and repeating is tough which the Rams face. I still have him 3rd until Allen can at least make the SB. Betting against a 7 time SB winner is something one should not do.

4. Allen

5. Stafford - he just won the SB. I give him credit, he did it and still has a good 4 years left IMO.

6. Burrow - was in the SB

7. Wilson - a SB winner, like Ryan he had an off year but his team stunk.

8. Herbert - no playoff wins but he has the potential to be great!

9. Matt Ryan - proven winner (had the Pats beat in a SB) and a former MVP, can't go by last year as an argument. He had a terrible team around him in Atlanta just like Stafford had in Detroit in 2020. 

10. Carr - he belongs here. I would take him over Lamar, Watson, or Dak. Carr hasn't won a playoff game but he is 100% healthy. Lamar was really banged up last year and Watson may not even play. Dak is good but he chokes every year when it comes to playoff games.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Brissett

Geno Smith

Danial Jones

They are all bad/below average as starters but would be great back ups for a game or 2. Throw Trubisky in that group too. Tomlin will have his work cut out for him this year without Big Ben. Brissett as a starter was average here but we had a great run game with Mack and a great O.Line. If a team doesn't have a top 15 QB in the league they are pretty much screwed. Matt Ryan is top 15 at worse thankfully, I have him top 10. See list above.

As far as worse starter in the league, I would say looking at all the rosters it would be Geno Smith if he even starts in Seattle. 

On 7/11/2022 at 8:29 AM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think Pickett will unseat Trubisky by mid season. 

I think Willis could unseat Tannehill by week 14 or sooner if he comes in earlier because of a Tannehill injury and never gives up the job. .... maybe like a Wally Pip/Lou Gehrig situation???

Whoever is backing up Tua has a chance to unseat him.

Bridgewater is in Miami, but hasn't conceded that he's a backkup.

A reddit poster claimed that Logan Woodside had looked good behind Tannehill, and that Willis was unlikely to play this year. Other Titan posters have uggested Willis gadget plays.

Steeler podcasters I've read claim "the players have decided" that Trubisky is the guy so far.

Archived