Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Free Agent Thoughts to Share....

Because the Salary Cap is going down to roughly 180-185m...  down from nearly 200m this year,  it strikes me that this might just favor a team like the Colts, which has I think has the 2nd or 3rd most money available to spend. 

I believe the top players will still get paid,  though perhaps not quite the money they might have received just one year ago.   So, maybe down 10-20 percent on their top offers....

Of course, the rookies get their deals,  and veteran minimums will agree to those deals.

That leaves the biggest group on any roster.    The middle class.    I think this group, the vast majority of veteran players are going to get hammered.   I think their offers are going to be mostly disappointing.   Say, perhaps 30-50 percent less than they might have received a year ago.    GM's have to figure out where and how to save money,  it's got to come from the biggest part of the roster --- the middle class.

If we're among the leaders in money,  I believe that will put us in position to sign a good amount of free agents....   both our own,  and perhaps a few from outside the building.

A lot depends on how deals are structured, especially the deals for Q, Leonard and Smith.  

But I think this might turn into the most interesting,  and potentially most exciting free agency we've ever had.     At least, for now,  that's my story and I'm sticking to it!     :thmup:

No "it might favor the Colts", it WILL. The Jags have a lot of cap space too, but the Colts can dip into the middle area and sign players that would have wanted a lot long term to a 1 or 2 year deal for cheap. X-Rhoads may re-sign for another year at a lower base, I doubt the market will be rich for him..

46 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because the Salary Cap is going down to roughly 180-185m...  down from nearly 200m this year,  it strikes me that this might just favor a team like the Colts, which has I think has the 2nd or 3rd most money available to spend. 

I believe the top players will still get paid,  though perhaps not quite the money they might have received just one year ago.   So, maybe down 10-20 percent on their top offers....

Of course, the rookies get their deals,  and veteran minimums will agree to those deals.

That leaves the biggest group on any roster.    The middle class.    I think this group, the vast majority of veteran players are going to get hammered.   I think their offers are going to be mostly disappointing.   Say, perhaps 30-50 percent less than they might have received a year ago.    GM's have to figure out where and how to save money,  it's got to come from the biggest part of the roster --- the middle class.

If we're among the leaders in money,  I believe that will put us in position to sign a good amount of free agents....   both our own,  and perhaps a few from outside the building.

A lot depends on how deals are structured, especially the deals for Q, Leonard and Smith.  

But I think this might turn into the most interesting,  and potentially most exciting free agency we've ever had.     At least, for now,  that's my story and I'm sticking to it!     :thmup:

I am not sure if they have as much money as u think. If they go with Eason then yea. They have no qb under contract plus they got some young guys that r due for big contracts.

15 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I am not sure if they have as much money as u think. If they go with Eason then yea. They have no qb under contract plus they got some young guys that r due for big contracts.

I’m well aware.   But we’re going be signing guys...   I’m just saying having the 2nd or 3rd most this year will be helpful.  

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not only do I agree but with that same cap drop many teams will have to cut ties with good players as well. I see a lot of vet 1 year deal possibilities in Ballards future. 

@NewColtsFan, where did you get the estimated cap number?  I read it was projected to be around $176M (overthecap.com).  I know they make adjustments based on the previous years spending, so that may account for the extra $$.  

What’s interesting is that about a third of the league is projected to be over the cap.  Since teams have to be under by the start of the league year, there are going to be a lot of good players looking for jobs.  

Plenty of space for Stafford, sign some of our own FAs and to bring in one or two others that could put this team over the top.  

There has been reports of $176 million for cap but also in December there were reports of the NFL trying to keep the cap higher (estimated $195ish) because they are hopefully to have full stadiums in 2021 and tv deals are still good for revenue. Just to put it out there. Both could help us but honestly lower cap numbers can really play in our favor. 

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

@NewColtsFan, where did you get the estimated cap number?  I read it was projected to be around $176M (overthecap.com).  I know they make adjustments based on the previous years spending, so that may account for the extra $$.  

What’s interesting is that about a third of the league is projected to be over the cap.  Since teams have to be under by the start of the league year, there are going to be a lot of good players looking for jobs.  

Plenty of space for Stafford, sign some of our own FAs and to bring in one or two others that could put this team over the top.  

There was a story out this week saying the NFL has advised teams that the number will likely be around 180m.   Some teams believe it might be as high as 185m.    

The 175m figure is the absolute lowest figure it could be.   That number was agreed to by both the league and the players a number of months ago.  But that’s the floor.   I’ll see if I can find the story later today.   @Superman referenced it here as well in one of his posts. 

Archived