Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Galko's 10 Reasons Why Rg3 Isn't The Top Dog

http://nwe.scout.com/2/1173463.html

Who is Eric Galko?

Eric Galko is the Owner, Director of Scouting of Optimum Scouting and lead editor forOptimumScouting.com He has been scouting college football for eight years, and for pro teams and other sports professionals for the last four years. Eric is also a member of the FWAA.

Is Robert Griffin a Better Prospect than Andrew Luck?

Ten Reasons Why He's NOT

1. Coaching Around Him

2. Pro Style-Scheme

3. Better NFL Built Body Type

4. Mental Preparedness

5. Pre-Snap Ability

6. Consistent Mechanics/Footwork

7. Read Progression Confidence

8. Decisiveness as a Passer

9. Poise, Confidence in the Pocket

10. Touch Between Levels

Read the entire article for the details behind each of these 10 points. The link to the entire article is provided at the very top of this post.

I'm certain Irsay knows about all this. His scouting team is going to do their absolute best homework feasible to ensure this pick is the right one. of course, Grigson will also help. Grigson is considered very obsessive about free agency, doing his homework, and possessing an eye for talent. That's one of the reasons he was hired in the first place.

Luck is also better taking snaps under C and has played in a more pro style offense than Griffin. He was also given the freedom to call some of his own plays and audibles by reading defenses, which is something very important in my opinion. Both are good, but Luck is better. I've said it many times; I can't see a situation where we don't take Luck

I agree with all those except 6,7 and 9

Actually Reason 9 is the main issue that RG3 has. He can't sense the pressure very well at this point. Since he was running a spread most of his plays were 1 read and fire. His internal clock is not fully developed like Luck's is. The reason this is the main worry, in my opinion, is he is going to take a few more hits than Luck, and with his smaller stature that could lead to injuries. Not saying he will get injured, but that would be my main fear in drafting him.

As we all saw for years with PM, its not about the OL protecting the QB as much as it is the QB knowing how to feel that pressure and how much time he has before he is going to get clocked. So instead of getting hammered and taking a big hit because he isn't ready for it, PM would feel the pressure before it got there and make a slight movement and/or prepare for the hit so he wouldn't get clocked, thus saving him from injury for all those years. I honestly think that played about 80% in Manning being and ironman for as long as he was.