Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Mailbag: Michael Pittman Jr.'s Breakout, T.J. Carrie's Value, Why Not More Play Action & QB Sneaks?

AWalkerColts

Thanks again for all the terrific questions for this week's Colts Mailbag. I tried to dive a little deeper into the Colts' issues on third- and fourth-and-short, as well as why I am such a proponent in the quarterback sneak (well, with Jacoby Brissett in the game), and why Indy is in such better shape with T.J. Carrie backing up Kenny Moore II at nickel cornerback.

Also, I took the bait on a question about Frank Reich's dental hygiene.

You can read this week's Mailbag by clicking here.

As always, thanks Andrew. Also, I can shed some light on the question and your answer about Philip and his history of low number of play action attempts in his career. He talked about this in a related question once about why his play action "fakes" to the back when dropping back are so quick and unconvincing (something anyone who's watched him over the years knows exactly what I'm referring to). Paraphrasing, his answer was this.

He puts far greater importance on getting his head around to see downfield as quickly as possible than he does on any perceived benefit from a "more convincing" fake to the back. And with his mind, I think his results bear that out. Certainly all of his coaches over the years have agreed, as not one of them has ever insisted on changing it.

I think if you take that answer to it's logical conclusion, you can get a pretty good answer to the question about why he doesn't run a higher number of play action attempts, as well. He feels it's a greater advantage for him to have his eyes downfield at all times than there is in running more play action snaps.

And once again, with his overall skill set, maximizing his strengths (his mind) over his weaknesses (his lack of mobility when he doesn't find an open receiver) makes it pretty understandable why things are the way they are with him and play action. That, and him being top five all time in many quarterback production categories says he's probably right :).

What's the saying.  "If it aint broke don't fix it".  He's had a great career doing what he does best.  If we really want to improve our offense I would let him call more plays at the LOS.  Our hurry up was pretty effective when he was turned loose.  I would give him the freedom Manning had.  Three plays to choose from and call it as he sees it.  Works for me. 

6 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

As always, thanks Andrew. Also, I can shed some light on the question and your answer about Philip and his history of low number of play action attempts in his career. He talked about this in a related question once about why his play action "fakes" to the back when dropping back are so quick and unconvincing (something anyone who's watched him over the years knows exactly what I'm referring to). Paraphrasing, his answer was this.

He puts far greater importance on getting his head around to see downfield as quickly as possible than he does on any perceived benefit from a "more convincing" fake to the back. And with his mind, I think his results bear that out. Certainly all of his coaches over the years have agreed, as not one of them has ever insisted on changing it.

I think if you take that answer to it's logical conclusion, you can get a pretty good answer to the question about why he doesn't run a higher number of play action attempts, as well. He feels it's a greater advantage for him to have his eyes downfield at all times than there is in running more play action snaps.

And once again, with his overall skill set, maximizing his strengths (his mind) over his weaknesses (his lack of mobility when he doesn't find an open receiver) makes it pretty understandable why things are the way they are with him and play action. That, and him being top five all time in many quarterback production categories says he's probably right :).

Great context. 

Archived