Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Red. Zone Offense

krunk

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

I thought we made some real improvements today. Third down conversion still needs work but i saw some good things at different points

Thought our 3rd down was better today too. 

Could be mistaken but thought I heard them on the post game show say were were 7/14?

21 minutes ago, krunk said:

I thought we made some real improvements today. Third down conversion still needs work but i saw some good things at different points

Yes, in the RZ we were much better today (less predictable).  We also had our first TD of >20 yards today (the pass to Hines) - I'd love to start seeing that become a regular thing.

As @EastStreetsaid, we were 50% (7/14) on 3rd down conversions.  At one point (I think when were were 6/13) I saw a stat saying our average to-go on 3rd down was 9.7 yards.  We need that number to go down if we want to see our 3rd down conversion percentage go up.. there were a few cases when we had a lead where we were passing on first down (which I'm fine with, though I don't think we should have the majority of our first downs be pass plays, especially with a lead).  A couple drops or poor throws cost us in some instances (the one that sticks out to me is the drop by Hines on a 2nd and 10 after 1st and 10 went incomplete to M. Johnson - where Hines started to look up field before he secured the catch -- that could've probably moved the chains - if not picked up at least 7-9 yards, instead, it put us in a 2nd and 10 position).  

6 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yes, in the RZ we were much better today (less predictable).  We also had our first TD of >20 yards today (the pass to Hines) - I'd love to start seeing that become a regular thing.

As @EastStreetsaid, we were 50% (7/14) on 3rd down conversions.  At one point (I think when were were 6/13) I saw a stat saying our average to-go on 3rd down was 9.7 yards.  We need that number to go down if we want to see our 3rd down conversion percentage go up.. there were a few cases when we had a lead where we were passing on first down (which I'm fine with, though I don't think we should have the majority of our first downs be pass plays, especially with a lead).  A couple drops or poor throws cost us in some instances (the one that sticks out to me is the drop by Hines on a 2nd and 10 after 1st and 10 went incomplete to M. Johnson - where Hines started to look up field before he secured the catch -- that could've probably moved the chains - if not picked up at least 7-9 yards, instead, it put us in a 2nd and 10 position).  

I like to be 50/50 on first, unless we're up by more than 2 TDs. I like to take shots on 2nd and short, power run on 3rd and short, and just have a good mix overall. 2nd and long is still 50/50 down for me. 3rd and long obviously passing, but that and 3rd and short are the only situations I want to be obvious on.

Archived