Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New 5th Year Option Rule Begins in May

12 hours ago, dw49 said:

The new CBA deal calls for guaranteed contracts for players whose teams exercise the 5th year option.  This pertains to the draft class of 2018. 

so the only Colt impacted is Nelson?

So do I have this right - now teams could release a 5th year option player after year 4 and not be on the hook for the contract unless he got hurt in in that 4th year?

If that is right, seems a minimal impact rule to me.  

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

so the only Colt impacted is Nelson?

So do I have this right - now teams could release a 5th year option player after year 4 and not be on the hook for the contract unless he got hurt in in that 4th year?

If that is right, seems a minimal impact rule to me.  

For the year 2021 , it affects Nelson as you say. Affects no one in in 2022 and 2023 as you infer. 

As to what the new rule means , I'm not sure you have it right.

It basically means that starting next year , the players extended now have their 4th and 5th year salaries guaranteed . What the rule in the past meant was the 5th year was guaranteed only if the player was injured. Bottom line is teams will have to think a little harder before using the option . Below link explains it pretty well I think...

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/6/24/21301116/changes-to-the-fifth-year-option-salaries-in-the-new-cba-pittsburgh-steelers-fitzpatrick-devin-bush

24 minutes ago, dw49 said:

For the year 2021 , it affects Nelson as you say. Affects no one in in 2022 and 2023 as you infer. 

As to what the new rule means , I'm not sure you have it right.

It basically means that starting next year , the players extended now have their 4th and 5th year salaries guaranteed . What the rule in the past meant was the 5th year was guaranteed only if the player was injured. Bottom line is teams will have to think a little harder before using the option . Below link explains it pretty well I think...

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/6/24/21301116/changes-to-the-fifth-year-option-salaries-in-the-new-cba-pittsburgh-steelers-fitzpatrick-devin-bush

That is exactly what I meant. 

prior to new rule, Say Indy picked up Hooker’s 5th year option this Spring and he did not get hurt but underwhelmed with his play, they could have released him after the season and not been on the hook for his 5th year salary. If they had picked it up and he blew out his Achilles they would have had to pay him. 

Archived