Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Coach and the Culture

CoachLite

On 10/15/2020 at 11:47 AM, Nickster said:

That's pretty much all there is to it.  We are in bad shape at QB unless Eason turns out to be any good.  I think we need to play him if the team losses quite a few games in the next 6 weeks.  If we play Brissett, then I am pretty much completly soured on the entire organization.  

This org was expecting to have elite QB play.  Andrew screwed the team by quitting right before the season started, and Rivers, whom I wanted, looks pretty washed up.  We'd be much better off tanking if this thing goes south.  The org is in trouble really.  High priced contracts will come due and if we don't have a relatively cheap young QB by then, things will get bad for a while.

Luck's sudden retirement will effect the org negatively for the forseeable future.

^^^^ this ^^^^

In a passing league we now have and probably will for the foreseeable future one of the weakest QB & WR play in the league. 

On 10/14/2020 at 9:06 AM, Mitch Connors said:

Not to be argumentative but I dont know that that's true, just look at the Titans. After last night its hard to say they're not the best team in the AFC and they're doing it without a franchise QB. Do you honestly think if the Colts signed Tannehill last year the Colts would be getting the same production from him? I honestly dont believe that anymore. That's all coaching IMO and, for me, the luster is quickly wearing off of Frank 

Actually I think Tannehill can be a franchise QB.  I would have loved for the colts to sign him.  He is a great QB.  Just played for terrible teams.  And hand some injury problems.  Now that he has a good Defense,.  And some weapons.  He is showing what he can do.  

On 10/14/2020 at 5:44 AM, boo2202 said:

Don’t think it’s a coaching problem, it’s not having a franchise QB problem. The one year Reich had good QB play we made the playoffs and won a playoff game. We’re just missing the most important piece. 

It's more than a QB issue.  It's an injury issue across the board.  Right now, if you look at our roster/depth chart from the start of the season to week 6 we are without our #1 RB, our #2 and #3 WR, our #1 FS, we've been rotating TE (Doyle, Burton and Alie Cox have all had injuries and missed games), we were without our #1 LT last week, without our 2x All-Pro defensive captain last week(and maybe this week), had our 2nd (Walker) and 3rd (Okereke) LBs banged up last week, missed a starting CB (Ya Sin) for a brief stint, etc.

Every team has injuries, so it can't be too much of an excuse... but, I'm not sure how many other teams have that many this early in the season.  We've got a new QB who had a shortened training camp and no preseason games playing with multiple back-ups at key position on the O.  Our D hasn't been as badly banged up, but they've had their issues and they're still one of the top units in the league.  

I'm nowhere near hitting the panic button yet.  I think we're still in a good position to make the playoffs and don't think TN is all that good.  That said, there have been times where the playcalling has baffled me (e.g., defensively week 1 and mainly the runs up the middle by Hines on O).  Regardless, I'm sure week in and week out every team in the league has some questionable calls and I just don't focus on those games as much.  

On 10/14/2020 at 10:51 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Could maybe say that about the fans too? Most every time a talented,high profile player is available the fans say "I'll pass" lol.

But seriously,  our coaches, not just the head coaches don't seem to impress with their intelligence or resume. 

Our current coaches(hc,oc,dc) are first timers in their current positions. Pagano another example and his assistants.  How Pagano got a HC gig I'll never know. And and the list of OC's we've had. Since Polian, Dungy & Tom Moore how happy have you been with our hires, playcalling? Arians had success before he came here tho, but most of us wasn't really pleased with his play calling thinking  it would get Luck killed.

Maybe it's a Indy thing, small market , mid west etc.. that doesn't attract Big Time hires?

There's a growing number of fans here that are becoming less than thrilled with Reich and are thinking of moving on from him in a season or two. I'm not one of those, because who will be the guy irsay  hires to replace him? For years we waited and prayed for Pagano to be gone. When it finally happened,  Reich is who replaced him. 

Our Golden era was Manning, Polian, Dungy, Tom Moore, and our OL coach Mudd. And our Star Wars offense with Freeney,  Mathis, and Bob Sanders on D.

Winningest team of the Decade!

Those were the days my friends. :D

There is nothing Reich has done in his time here that leads me to believe he is unintelligent.  He hasn't hit on 100% of his playcalls, but no coach in the league has..  from all I can see Reich is a very intelligent human being.  

How did Pagano get the HC job?  Easy, he was a coach in Baltimore (secondary coach for 3 years and then d-coordinator in 2011 before he came here) on one of the best defensive teams of all time.  Baltimore went 12-4 in 2011,  lost by 3 to NE in the AFC Championship game and their D was outstanding.  How Grigs became the GM is baffling to me, how Pagano became the head coach makes a lot of sense, he was the DC on one of the best defensive teams in the entire league.

I don't see a whole lot of fans who really want to move on from Reich right now.  This board is over emotional after losses (and also after wins).  Regardless, the fans on this board don't get to decide if we should move on from Reich in a year or two.  Ballard, and ultimately Irsay, get to do  that.  Irsay has to realize that Brissett was not the best option for us last year after Luck retired and we're way too early in the season to figure out if Reich can lead us to the playoffs again right now (my gut is that he will).

On 10/15/2020 at 6:03 AM, ClaytonC said:

Did Andrew Luck notice Reich's habits that kill drives and momentum?   I have been wondering this for some time now.  

No, I think Andrew Luck noticed he was going to rehab and to get surgeries for basically his entire off-season (and rehabbing during the season) for several years in a row and decided he wanted to be able to live a normal life instead of being a cripple by age 30.

It really bothers me that people think frank reich is the problem .   He is the best coach the colts had since dungy .   He is creative runs a balanced offense and is aggressive .  He is everything i want in a head coach .   frank has a bad QB and no weapons on offense , plus half the team is injured .    Give the guy a break he is still a new coach , bill belichick got fired his first time coaching took him about 5 years to get going .  Frank is still learning and has been dealt horrible hands at QB and lack of talent at wr .   now if frank had a franchise QB and good weapons on offense and the offense struggled then you would have a point .   A coach is not a miracle worker look how the pats looked with hoyer at QB , horrible .

Archived