Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interactive Scouting Report - Top 3 Qb Prospects

Thanks this was informative. The way I see it right now...

Arm strength--advantage RG3. Griffin clearly has the stronger arm. He throws a tighter ball with more velocity. Luck arm strength is adequate and he can make all the throws that he needs to but it doesn't compare to Griffin's.

Cerebral game--slight advantage Luck. Both young men have high football IQ's at this point in their careers. RG3 dazzled scouts with his black board skills at the combine. Luck has experience though calling his own plays at the collegiate level and thus I give him the nod here.

Legs--advantage RG3. RG3 has elite speed. Luck has good Aaron Rogers type mobility. RG3 is a threat to run for a touchdown on any given play. Luck is a threat to run for a first down.

Feet--advantage Luck. Luck has more experience taking snaps directly under center and incorporating 3, 5 and 7 step drops. His transition to the game at the Pro level will be easier than Griffin who played primarily in the spread offense in shot gun formation. Griffin will have some work to do in this area.

Pro readiness--advantage Luck. Overall Luck is the more pro ready prospect. RG3 has more physical tools but Luck's game is built upon a better foundation and is better suited for long term success at the next level.

I believe both men will have successful careers. RG3 could be going to a better team initially and as a result may have the better rookie season. Luck's fundamentals will help him to better adjust to the intricacies of the pro game and his stock will begin to rise as the Colts surround him with better talent.

I approach the evaluation of Luck and RG3 differently. Instead of a head to head comparison, I compare them against what the Colts require in a QB:

Arm strength--Both Luck and RG3 have adequate arm strength to deliver any throw that may be asked of them.

Cerebral game-- Advantage Luck. Luck has experience though calling his own plays at the collegiate level, knows the game since childhood and through his NFL QB dad.

Legs--Both Luck and RG3 have adequate speed and mobility. The team does not want their QB to run very often (certainly not 179 times a season), and expose himself to hits.

Feet--Advantage Luck. Luck has more experience taking snaps directly under center and incorporating 3, 5 and 7 step drops. His transition to the game at the Pro level will be easier than Griffin who played primarily in the spread offense in shot gun formation. Griffin will have some work to do in this area.

Pro readiness--Advantage Luck. Overall Luck is the more pro ready prospect. Luck's game is built upon a better foundation and is better suited for long term success at the next level.

Given the above, there is no question who the Colts should select with their #1 overall pick on April 26.

I approach the evaluation of Luck and RG3 differently. Instead of a head to head comparison, I compare them against what the Colts require in a QB:

Arm strength--Both Luck and RG3 have adequate arm strength to deliver any throw that may be asked of them.

Cerebral game-- Advantage Luck. Luck has experience though calling his own plays at the collegiate level, knows the game since childhood and through his NFL QB dad.

Legs--Both Luck and RG3 have adequate speed and mobility. The team does not want their QB to run very often (certainly not 179 times a season), and expose himself to hits.

Feet--Advantage Luck. Luck has more experience taking snaps directly under center and incorporating 3, 5 and 7 step drops. His transition to the game at the Pro level will be easier than Griffin who played primarily in the spread offense in shot gun formation. Griffin will have some work to do in this area.

Pro readiness--Advantage Luck. Overall Luck is the more pro ready prospect. Luck's game is built upon a better foundation and is better suited for long term success at the next level.

Given the above, there is no question who the Colts should select with their #1 overall pick on April 26.

Can i ask you a question? Are you andrew lucks cousin or something>? I mean you are so in love with a kid that has never played a down in the NFL.. What NFL team did you root for prior to January?

Can i ask you a question? Are you andrew lucks cousin or something>? I mean you are so in love with a kid that has never played a down in the NFL.. What NFL team did you root for prior to January?

No, I am not Luck's cousin or anything.

No, I am not in love with Luck.

But I do recognize talent that the team can use.

I rooted for the Colts even before Manning was a Colt.

Now that your interrogation is over, and you are done questioning my fanhood, will you please move on to non-character-assassination posts?

No, I am not Luck's cousin or anything.

No, I am not in love with Luck.

But I do recognize talent that the team can use.

I rooted for the Colts even before Manning was a Colt.

Now that your interrogation is over, and you are done questioning my fanhood, will you please move on to non-character-assassination posts?

The biggest reason i ask is you became a member in January and have posted almost 3000 times. I dont care if you are a new fan, new fans are a must for a franchise. Just seems you are obsessed over Andrew Luck.

The biggest reason i ask is you became a member in January and have posted almost 3000 times. I dont care if you are a new fan, new fans are a must for a franchise. Just seems you are obsessed over Andrew Luck.

So you assumed that since one joined an internet forum in January, that the person was not a fan prior to January?

I was a Colts fan prior to the internet being invented.

Thanks this was informative. The way I see it right now...

Arm strength--advantage RG3. Griffin clearly has the stronger arm. He throws a tighter ball with more velocity. Luck arm strength is adequate and he can make all the throws that he needs to but it doesn't compare to Griffin's.

Cerebral game--slight advantage Luck. Both young men have high football IQ's at this point in their careers. RG3 dazzled scouts with his black board skills at the combine. Luck has experience though calling his own plays at the collegiate level and thus I give him the nod here.

Legs--advantage RG3. RG3 has elite speed. Luck has good Aaron Rogers type mobility. RG3 is a threat to run for a touchdown on any given play. Luck is a threat to run for a first down.

Feet--advantage Luck. Luck has more experience taking snaps directly under center and incorporating 3, 5 and 7 step drops. His transition to the game at the Pro level will be easier than Griffin who played primarily in the spread offense in shot gun formation. Griffin will have some work to do in this area.

Pro readiness--advantage Luck. Overall Luck is the more pro ready prospect. RG3 has more physical tools but Luck's game is built upon a better foundation and is better suited for long term success at the next level.

I believe both men will have successful careers. RG3 could be going to a better team initially and as a result may have the better rookie season. Luck's fundamentals will help him to better adjust to the intricacies of the pro game and his stock will begin to rise as the Colts surround him with better talent.

i think the big thing here is PRO READINESS....

That trumps everything for us because we dont want 4 or 5 years for our new QB to get going.

Luck's pedigree as the son of a coach is also crucial

..Like in the presidential election....you want someone who has wanted to be president all his life.

that person is mor eliekly to be mentally prepared.

as the son of an NFL QB,,Luck, like the Manninbg boys, has thought about beinbg a pro QB the majority of his life..

i think the big thing here is PRO READINESS....

That trumps everything for us because we dont want 4 or 5 years for our new QB to get going.

Luck's pedigree as the son of a coach is also crucial

..Like in the presidential election....you want someone who has wanted to be president all his life.

that person is mor eliekly to be mentally prepared.

as the son of an NFL QB,,Luck, like the Manninbg boys, has thought about beinbg a pro QB the majority of his life..

Agreed on Pro Readiness being the deciding factor for the Colts.

The benefit of looking at both prospects head to head objectively is that you don't run the risk of becoming mislabeled as a "fan boy" of one or the other. You can then apply their respective strengths and weaknesses to access which is the best fit for your team. Based on having objectively evaluated both, I am in agreement with the opinion that Luck is the best fit. I believe he is the more pro ready prospect and this seems to be what this franchise has valued in the past. Assuming of course that the franchise continues to follow the Polian pattern of quarterback evaluation. Keep in mind though that there is an Eagles guy now in the GM role who is accustomed to having a Vick style player under center. So there is no guarantee that they are looking at this position in exactly the same way as before. Nevertheless, given the circumstances surrounding Peyton's departure, the front office can't afford to botch this so I expect that they will make a calculated decision to hitch their bets on Luck since he is the safer, more consistent, pro-ready option.