Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Older QB's

Dingus McGirt

Really? Seems like young QBs are adapting better now than ever before. Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, Wentz's, Prescott, Allen...all drafted in the last 5 years. And still a lot of time for Mayfield, Murray and Jones to develop

25 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Really? Seems like young QBs are adapting better now than ever before. Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, Wentz's, Prescott, Allen...all drafted in the last 5 years. And still a lot of time for Mayfield, Murray and Jones to develop

I think the new crop of QB's , for most part,  are better athletes and achieve early success by using their legs and escapability to create havoc with their ability to gain big yardage on broken plays that turn into big gains through the air and on the ground.  That said I think they are going to have a hard time having long careers.  Cam Newton is a good example.  Watson, Wentz, Allen and I think Mahomes have already missed time.  That style doesn't bode well for a long career.   Mahomes said he is just starting to learn how to read a defense.  That is also a problem.  In the old days rookie QBs sat behind a vet for years before seeing the field.  Not any more.  Experience and knowledge is what will guarantee long term success.  One strong suit that Rivers has is his ability to quickly read defenses and go through his progressions.  That's going to be huge for us.  The man also never misses games" knock on wood".  So I'm pretty excited to see what Rivers can do for us this year.   I am hoping his knowledge and experience will carry the day for us just like it has for Brady all of these years.  Time will tell. 

10 hours ago, ColtV said:

Got it.  But, there are 32 teams and only so many of these types of talent available.  I'm just saying the college game - with the QBs not having to think much, and just do what they're told...may not prepare most for the pro game.  JMO

30 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Got it.  But, there are 32 teams and only so many of these types of talent available.  I'm just saying the college game - with the QBs not having to think much, and just do what they're told...may not prepare most for the pro game.  JMO

Gotcha, and I can see that point, college offenses really started to vary from pro for a while now. QBs like Dwayne haskins and Justin Herbert having never taken a snap under center is a good example of that. It's becoming more incumbent on offensive coordinators to have the flexibility to adapt to the strengths of this new breed of qb

Archived