Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Top 5 Red Zone Offense

Creekside

Trips into the red zone :     #1 Patriots (43)

#5 Colts      (38)

#32 Jets      (18)

Red Zone TDs  :                #1 Seahawks  (27)

#3  Colts          (24)

#32  Broncos   ( 9)

Red Zone passing TDs      #1 Seahawks (19)

#2  Colts         (18)

Colts are a Top 10 offense moving the chains to get to the red zone :

First Downs made :         #1 Cowboys (246)

#7  Colts       (225)

#32 Redskins (140)

Third Downs converted :  #1 FortyNiners (65)

#9 Colts              (55)

#32 Redskins      (28)

Fourth Downs converted :    #1 Colts          (10)

#1 Ravens      (10)

#32 Packers    ( 0)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, egg said:

Trips into the red zone :     #1 Patriots (43)

#5 Colts      (38)

#32 Jets      (18)

Red Zone TDs  :                #1 Seahawks  (27)

#3  Colts          (24)

#32  Broncos   ( 9)

Red Zone passing TDs      #1 Seahawks (19)

#2  Colts         (18)

Colts are a Top 10 offense moving the chains to get to the red zone :

First Downs made :         #1 Cowboys (246)

#7  Colts       (225)

#32 Redskins (140)

Third Downs converted :  #1 FortyNiners (65)

#9 Colts              (55)

#32 Redskins      (28)

Fourth Downs converted :    #1 Colts          (10)

#1 Ravens      (10)

#32 Packers    ( 0)

I would like to know where we rank at time of possession.
  Looking at these stats tells me we have a Top 10 offense.
 Grinding out drives for 1st downs, wearing down defenses, is Good offense.
 Having a QB with the right mentality (patience) to do this is huge. 
A guy that could win a SB doing better than 3 touchdowns 7 int.'s in the SB run.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I would like to know where we rank at time of possession.
  Looking at these stats tells me we have a Top 10 offense.
 Grinding out drives for 1st downs, wearing down defenses, is Good offense.
 Having a QB with the right mentality (patience) to do this is huge. 
A guy that could win a SB doing better than 3 touchdowns 7 int.'s in the SB run.

#7 in TOP

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You want to be a good red zone team no matter what. 

Obviously.  I'm saying it makes sense that the Colts score a lot of TDs in the red zone because they're not scoring on very many explosive (20+ yard passes) plays from outsize the red zone.

The Colts have 26 total TDs on the year.

24 of those TDs are red zone TDs. 

Translation: The Colts don't score on many explosive plays.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

This goes goes along with the Aikmann Efficiency Ratings, which, after week 11 has the Colts as the #10 offense.  Which compared to the NFL which goes by yards only, the Colts are 21.

Thanks for that. I didn't know he was still doing the ratings this year. I looked a couple months ago and couldn't find anything recent from him. Maybe I just didn't know where to look - Google was not my friend on that one though.

1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

This stat makes a ton of sense when you consider that the Colts don't make very many long, explosive plays. 

They have to be good in the red zone to be competitive.

You mention in your next post we don't score on long/explosive plays.  You're right.  

That said, our two most explosive WRs (TY and Campbell) have been dealing with injuries for several weeks and our big body target (Funchess) who was supposed to take pressure off those guys (particularly TY) has been out all year.

If they all come back healthy, I won't be shocked if we see a little bit more explosiveness and deep play calling from the offense.  I still think Reich will put strong emphasis on keeping the run game going and keeping the time of possession up, but frankly part of the reason we haven't really been explosive is likely due to the fact that we don't have a very good WR corps when 3 of our top 4 WRs are injured.

• Like 2

Just now, CurBeatElite said:

You mention in your next post we don't score on long/explosive plays.  You're right.  

That said, our two most explosive WRs (TY and Campbell) have been dealing with injuries for several weeks and our big body target (Funchess) who was supposed to take pressure off those guys (particularly TY) has been out all year.

If they all come back healthy, I won't be shocked if we see a little bit more explosiveness and deep play calling from the offense.  I still think Reich will put strong emphasis on keeping the run game going and keeping the time of possession up, but frankly part of the reason we haven't really been explosive is likely due to the fact that we don't have a very good WR corps when 3 of our top 4 WRs are injured.

I wholeheartedly agree that the losses sustained by WR corps have significantly limited the ability for explosive passing plays. 

That said, earlier in the year, when Hilton was still healthy and both Cain and Campbell were getting snaps, there wasn't much of anything going on vertically in the passing game.  I believe Cain drew 2 long PI penalties, and that's about it.

Despite Jacoby's arm strength, I don't think the deep ball was working for him well earlier in the year, which probably led Frank to avoid relying on it.  That's unfortunate, because as Frank gained trust in Jacoby, Jacoby started to lose the guys he'd be comfortable airing it out to.   

The problem is, without that vertical component, teams started to play the Colts differently by bringing more defenders into the box to stop the running game.  At some point, irrespective of the personnel available, the Colts need to establish some semblance of a downfield threat if they want the other, more-effective components of the offense to be efficient. 

If that makes sense.

5 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I wholeheartedly agree that the losses sustained by WR corps have significantly limited the ability for explosive passing plays. 

That said, earlier in the year, when Hilton was still healthy and both Cain and Campbell were getting snaps, there wasn't much of anything going on vertically in the passing game.  I believe Cain drew 2 long PI penalties, and that's about it.

Despite Jacoby's arm strength, I don't think the deep ball was working for him well earlier in the year, which probably led Frank to avoid relying on it.  That's unfortunate, because as Frank gained trust in Jacoby, Jacoby started to lose the guys he'd be comfortable airing it out to.   

The problem is, without that vertical component, teams started to play the Colts differently by bringing more defenders into the box to stop the running game.  At some point, irrespective of the personnel available, the Colts need to establish some semblance of a downfield threat if they want the other, more-effective components of the offense to be efficient. 

If that makes sense.

To some degree it makes sense.  Cain hasn't lived up to the hype (maybe he's not fully healthy) and Campbell is still pretty raw.  I think Campbell started showing very positive strides in the last game he played prior to getting injured.  

Early in the season the only true, consistent deep threat we had was TY.  I think if TY is fully healthy, Funchess is fully healthy, and Campbell/Pascal are fully healthy down this last stretch, we'll see more wrinkles (including deep routes) in our offense.

3 hours ago, zibby43 said:

The Colts have 26 total TDs on the year.

24 of those TDs are red zone TDs. 

The Colts are similar to the Seahawks, Rams, and Saints in efficiently moving into the red zone and scoring TDs.

Seahawks have 31 TDs (2nd best through 10 games), 27 in the red zone, 4 from outside it.

Rams have 24 TDs. 21 red zone, 3 from outside 

Saints have 22 TDs. 19 in the red zone, and 3 from outside it.

Interestingly the Patriot's offense has only 2 more TDs than the Colts (28). And although they are #1 in getting into the red zone, with 43 attempts, they've managed only 21 red zone TDs. They have scored 7 TDs from outside the red zone, and it's a good thing because they struggle in the red zone.

To add some perspective to the Colts offensive TDs (through 10 games) :

Seahawks      31 TDs  (2nd in NFL)       27 red zone      4 outside

Patriots          28 TDs  (10th)                   21 red zone      7 outside

Colts               26 TDs  (11th)                   24 red zone      2 outside

Rams              24 TDs  (14th)                   21 red zone      3 outside

Saints             22 TDs  (21st)                    19 red zone      3 outside             

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Thanks for that. I didn't know he was still doing the ratings this year. I looked a couple months ago and couldn't find anything recent from him. Maybe I just didn't know where to look - Google was not my friend on that one though.

Yeah, he didn't start posting them until like week 4 or 5.  I think he gets tired of it because it doesn't get the recognition it deserves but then so many people ask about it, he starts posting again.

• Like 1

I think yards per game is such a meaningless stat when it comes to judging a offense. These kind of stats tell the truth way more then just yards per game. Same when judging QB rankings and judging a offense. When the Chiefs played the charges Monday night they creamed the chargers in yards. But yet other things happened in that game that made them lose.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think yards per game is such a meaningless stat when it comes to judging a offense. These kind of stats tell the truth way more then just yards per game. Same when judging QB rankings and judging a offense. When the Chiefs played the charges Monday night they creamed the chargers in yards. But yet other things happened in that game that made them lose.

Who said anything about yards per game being a good stat to judge the effectiveness of of an offense?