Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why does New England get a compensatory pick if AB leaves?

ReMeDy

I've been trying to figure this out but the online jargon's unclear. You're telling me if AB acts up and New England has to cut him, they get a draft pick? Does Oakland also get one? This website says, "Compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost quality players through free agency and did not invest in similarly paid free agents in return."

So if AB hop-scotches to different teams, and the teams don't sign a player to replace him, then AB could leave a trail of compensatory picks in his wake?

Without reading the website I believe you are likely mis-interpreting what it says.

You only get a compensatory pick if a player's contract runs out and signs with a different team for decent money.

You don't get it if you cut them or trade them.

Edit: After reading it I believe I'm correct.  You are mis-interpreting what it says.  You don't get a compensatory pick for cutting a player.  However if AB plays out his year in New England, his contract runs out and then he signs for big money with another team, then New England could get a compensatory pick.  

3 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

So if AB hop-scotches to different teams, and the teams don't sign a player to replace him, then AB could leave a trail of compensatory picks in his wake?

Yes. The Pats and the Ravens are very good at doing that. A smart thing to do is sign or trade for players who will be free agents after a year and don't re-sign them. Then the team may be entitled to a comp pick.

For example, last year the Vikes got Sheldon Richardson on a one-year deal. At the end of the season, he became a free agent and signed elsewhere. That will be good for a compensatory pick if the Vikings did not sign a player to an equal (or similar) contract. I don't think we did. However, if Richardson's new team cuts him by mid-season (or so), Vikes won't be entitled to a compensatory pick. Last year, the Vikes had 3 QBs sign contracts with other teams (Keenum, Bradford, and Bridgewater). Bradford was cut by mid-season and we lost out on a comp pick. We signed Cousins which cancelled out the comp pick for Keenum. We did get a 7th rounder for Teddy.

• Like 1

Okay, so I'm not imagining it. New England likes signing veterans. My guess is they also got picks then for Albert Haynesworth, Chad Ochocinco, etc. etc.

Well another question I have is what is the definition of a "quality" player? How does that get quantified? I hope the media isn't the one who gets to decide this, or that it's based on name recognition.