Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade for Matt Ryan?

He's 34, but in good health.  He'd be a decent transition into our new franchise QB.  A vet QB with a big cap hit does usually not require a high draft pick as compensation, and we'll have even more cap space next year.  

ATL might want to get into position to draft UGA QB Fromme, so maybe we can get a decent deal.  

I'd like to see what Ryan could do in Reich's offense and a good Oline.  

We could work on finding our franchise QB over the course of several offseasons instead of cornering ourselves into gambling on one of the college QBs this season.  Unless we really like Fromm or one of the others.

I was thinking of Ryan as more of a transitional QB until we get our new franchise QB, whom we'll draft,  up to speed.  Brissett is not a franchise QB, but his contract is up.  Since I don't think he will be the answer at starting QB, I don't think you even bother with him this spring and let him walk.  

I would like to see Ryan at QB for the next year to three with our franchise QB backing him up.  Then we'd still be able to draft an LT.

I'd think ATL would be hot n heavy over Fromme and may want to deal Ryan.  I'd get him either now, by the deadline, or this spring, it wouldn't matter.

I have been despondent since I found on on Sunday morning.  

Today I woke up with the hope that maybe Chad Kelly could do the job after a year of learning behind Brissett.  

All of Chad Kelly's issues seem to be mental and maturity based.  Not going to get too excited because it's not been long enough to know if he's past all that.  But he seems to have the physical tools to do the job.

Brissett is smarter but seems more physically limited.  

On 8/25/2019 at 4:39 PM, DougDew said:

I was thinking of Ryan as more of a transitional QB until we get our new franchise QB, whom we'll draft,  up to speed.  Brissett is not a franchise QB, but his contract is up.  Since I don't think he will be the answer at starting QB, I don't think you even bother with him this spring and let him walk.  

I would like to see Ryan at QB for the next year to three with our franchise QB backing him up.  Then we'd still be able to draft an LT.

I'd think ATL would be hot n heavy over Fromme and may want to deal Ryan.  I'd get him either now, by the deadline, or this spring, it wouldn't matter.

and how do you know this?

32 minutes ago, J@son said:

and how do you know this?

I don't. 

But getting drafted in the 3rd round, not the first, getting traded for only Phillip Dorsett, (apparently no bidding war?), and his spotty play to date suggests that his next contract won't reflect someone who can do more than manage a game.

37 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't. 

But getting drafted in the 3rd round, not the first, getting traded for only Phillip Dorsett, (apparently no bidding war?), and his spotty play to date suggests that his next contract won't reflect someone who can do more than manage a game.

Russell Wilson was drafted in the 3rd.  Many, many good to great QBs (even some in the HOF) were drafted outside of round 1 so that's not a reason.

Spotty play to date was mostly due to him being traded just before the season started, so he was having to learn the playbook and build chemistry with the rest of the offense on the fly, behind a horrid OL and in an offensive system that did not do him any favors whatsoever.

Now, he's had all offseason plus all of last year learning the system.  He's in a much more QB friendly offense.  How about we see how he does when he's actually given a legitimate chance to succeed?  I'm not by any means saying he absolutely is the Franchise QB of the future, but there's not a single person on the planet right now that knows for sure that he's NOT capable of being a Franchise QB.

10 minutes ago, J@son said:

Russell Wilson was drafted in the 3rd.  Many, many good to great QBs (even some in the HOF) were drafted outside of round 1 so that's not a reason.

Spotty play to date was mostly due to him being traded just before the season started, so he was having to learn the playbook and build chemistry with the rest of the offense on the fly, behind a horrid OL and in an offensive system that did not do him any favors whatsoever.

Now, he's had all offseason plus all of last year learning the system.  He's in a much more QB friendly offense.  How about we see how he does when he's actually given a legitimate chance to succeed?  I'm not by any means saying he absolutely is the Franchise QB of the future, but there's not a single person on the planet right now that knows for sure that he's NOT capable of being a Franchise QB.

Russel was a winning QB throughout college and had known skills.  He dropped because he was thought of as not having the physical height.  

Brissett, OTOH, has the physical tools, but has never displayed the same level of play.  There is a difference in why each was drafted in the 3rd.

I've read @Supermans feelings about Brissett in another thread, and I pretty much agree with them 100%

Brissett has time to show otherwise, but I think the odds are in favor that he is the QB that he has shown us to be thus far, to a significant degree.

32 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Russel was a winning QB throughout college and had known skills.  He dropped because he was thought of as not having the physical height.  

Brissett, OTOH, has the physical tools, but has never displayed the same level of play.  There is a difference in why each was drafted in the 3rd.

I've read @Supermans feelings about Brissett in another thread, and I pretty much agree with them 100%

Brissett has time to show otherwise, but I think the odds are in favor that he is the QB that he has shown us to be thus far, to a significant degree.

that's all well and good...my point was simply that no one knows, at this time, if he has what it takes or not due to the situations he's been put in.  After this year we will have a much better idea, which is why I think trading for a vet QB to play this season is a very big mistake.  If we do that we won't know what Brissett might be capable of until we find out when he's on another team.

28 minutes ago, J@son said:

that's all well and good...my point was simply that no one knows, at this time, if he has what it takes or not due to the situations he's been put in.  After this year we will have a much better idea, which is why I think trading for a vet QB to play this season is a very big mistake.  If we do that we won't know what Brissett might be capable of until we find out when he's on another team.

Oh, my whole theory about trading for Ryan has been blown up.  I knew he was 34 and figured that he was in the middle to end of his contract and maybe his career at ATL, considering Fromm might be on their radar.  But ATL just extend Ryan last year so that makes him unavailable. (still surprising to me they would do that at tremendous expense when he's 34 and they have not really done much with him at QB all for these years outside of 1 year)

But yeah, he's better than JB will ever be IMO, so if it was a matter of getting a vet who's better that could start a couple of years while the new franchise guy backed him up, that would be ideal.

JB seems to me to be a tweener, probably will be nothing more than a QB who is able to start on the bottom 16 NFL teams.  His physical stature and strong arm are not really priorities in this offense, IMO.

Actually, he is known for being an accurate long ball thrower and not much of a scrambler.  Maybe an Arians offense would be best for him.