Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New opportunity for Robert Mathis

MTC

Robert Mathis will no longer hold the position of pass rush consultant/player development, but he is now working at a performance facility (The Gridiron Gang) in Westfield, Indiana to train players.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41059117-4

Quote:

Robert Mathis will still be teaching his pass-rush skills to players. He just won't be doing it with the title of Colts assistant defensive line coach. Mathis left that position with the team so that he could team up with a number of former NFL players to work at a sports performance facility in Westfield, Ind. Mathis would not have been able to be an assistant coach and work at the performance facility due to NFL league rules. Now he has the freedom to work with players during a time where teams are not allowed to train their players. "The Colts have done a great job supporting me," Mathis said. "I'm still a partner with them. I'm just not a coach with the team anymore. They know my heart is in a good place. They know I have good intentions and that I want the best for them. This is one of the ways I feel like I can help them. It's a win-win because I still get to do what I'm passionate about in teaching while helping guys on the team I spent my entire career with. Everything is legal. There's no gray area. I'm ecstatic about it and so are the Colts." A number of Colts defensive lineman, including Kemoko Turay and Jihad Ward, are currently working with Mathis and former Colt Dan Muir.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

This is honestly perfect for us. Sounds like he wanted to be able to train our players, as well as some others, outside of the time the league allows. I think Turay and Ward should have a great upcoming season. 

It does make me wonder what T. Lewis is doing during the offseason. 

10 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

This is honestly perfect for us. Sounds like he wanted to be able to train our players, as well as some others, outside of the time the league allows. I think Turay and Ward should have a great upcoming season. 

It does make me wonder what T. Lewis is doing during the offseason. 

He got hurt at the end of the year so hes probably rehabbing