Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Safety Position Moving Into Next Season

ProblChld32

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I'm not sure what you mean by deny?

What does he do, exactly?  

Covers the deep zone for half the field generally speaking.  

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

That was already baked in to my original post.  I assume he was talking about denying that Hooker did something else besides be in the right place on deep pass patterns.

As a fan, however, I really can't say that he covers the deep zone because I never have that viewing angle.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

He takes away the deep ball. You can have more players in the middle of the field and close to the line of scrimmage. You seen our defense against KC when he wasn’t there. 

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That was already baked in to my original post.  I assume he was talking about denying that Hooker did something else besides be in the right place on deep pass patterns.

As a fan, however, I really can't say that he covers the deep zone because I never have that viewing angle.

Well just figure it this way.  If the ball isn't being thrown into Hookers zone.  Hooker did his job.  

You can't ask a safety to really do more than that.  

It's easier I think to quantify the play of a DL or LB with questions of if they are getting sacks, how many, and if they are holding their spot and stopping the run.  

I think with a safety a lot of times it's just pass/fail.  Did a guy they are covering make a catch?  Fail. . . any other sort play is generally a pass.  

As a fan, I can't tell if anybody is covering the deep zone that well.  What I see is the opposing QBs throwing underneath to open receivers.  I assume the completions underneath are due to poor coverage there rather than superior coverage elsewhere, considering the catches aren't contested and the QB doesn't seem to be forcing them underneath.

IIRC, Hooker managed to find a way to be injured and out of the game where we actually played good offenses with good QBs, Carr/Raiders, Mahomes/KC.  And Brady throws it underneath anyway, so no long pass completions by NE isn't a good judge of deep ball coverage.  Not sure if Philly throws it deep that often as a matter of strategy.

I'm just looking at what I see.  I'm not denying what I see, nor assuming something I don't see.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

As a fan, I can't tell if anybody is covering the deep zone that well.  What I see is the opposing QBs throwing underneath to open receivers.  I assume the completions underneath are due to poor coverage there rather than superior coverage elsewhere, considering the catches aren't contested and the QB doesn't seem to be forcing them underneath.

IIRC, Hooker managed to find a way to be injured and out of the game where we actually played good offenses with good QBs, Carr/Raiders, Mahomes/KC.  And Brady throws it underneath anyway, so no long pass completions by NE isn't a good judge of deep ball coverage.  Not sure if Philly throws it deep that often as a matter of strategy.

I'm just looking at what I see.  I'm not denying what I see, nor assuming something I don't see.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/10/11/17962310/film-room-where-is-malik-hooker-this-season

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Did you read this?  It doesn't really provide much support for him.  its written with a positive tone, but the content is sort of middle of the road.   

As an example, he talked about how Hooker was in the right position on a deep ball, but doesn't say if another FS taken in the 4th round this year could also be in that same position.  Why was it unique to Hooker?  Simply pointing out that he was in the right position doesn't support the notion that a dozen other players couldn't.  

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Did you read this?  It doesn't really provide much support for him.  its written with a positive tone, but the content is sort of middle of the road.   

As an example, he talked about how Hooker was in the right position on a deep ball, but doesn't say if another FS taken in the 4th round this year could also be in that same position.  Why was it unique to Hooker?  Simply pointing out that he was in the right position doesn't support the notion that a dozen other players couldn't.  

Just like all tall fast guys catch 13 tds

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Just like all tall fast guys catch 13 tds

Do you ever have an intelligent contribution on the way to an actual conversation or do you just live for swooping in to try to show somebody else is wrong?  25,000 posts of problem causing.

You posted the link.  What do YOU like about the article you posted?

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Do you ever have an intelligent contribution on the way to an actual conversation or do you just live for swooping in to try to show somebody else is wrong?  25,000 posts of problem causing.

You posted the link.  What do YOU like about the article you posted?

Do you? all you do is + about Hooker in every S topic and bring up your stupid any 4th round S could do this blah blah blah. If 4th rounders were good at everything then teams wouldnt take S in the 1st round.

14 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Do you? all you do is + about Hooker in every S topic and bring up your stupid any 4th round S could do this blah blah blah. If 4th rounders were good at everything then teams wouldnt take S in the 1st round.

Every topic?  I don't think about Malik Hooker until someone starts a thread about safeties, LOL.  Generally, I don't care much if Hooker stays or goes and don't much care to talk about any meh player, but he would seem to be a valid point of discussion in this thread.

But don't misrepresent. I did't say any 4th rounder could what he does.  But now just thinking about 4th rounders.  Hasn't 4th rounder Geathers made some nice plays once in a while too?  We should defintely keep him because of it.  He's just coming back from injury so we should expect him to return to "normal" next season.