Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts are the fastest paced offense in the league

stitches

5 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what does "Fastest-paced offenses in neutral situations" even mean?

I don't know the official definition, but in general it means in situations where you don't need to either rush (trailing and having to score in the last 2 minutes of a game)  or slow the game down(draining clock with the lead in the 4th quarter). 

Edit: here's the official definition by football outsiders:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/pacestats

Pace stats compiled by Jim Armstrong

These stats are computed from NFL Drive Charts and Scoring Summaries. The concept of situation-neutral pace was introduced in Pro Football Prospectus 2005. The intent is to describe pace as dictated by each team's game plan or style of play, not pace that is situation-induced. The current definition discards plays when the score differential is greater than 10 points in the first half, plays when the score differential is greater than 8 points in the 3rd quarter, plays in the 4th quarter or overtime, and plays in the last five minutes of the first half.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I have to say, I really hadn't felt like the offense has been a fast paced one this year.   More running plays and shorter passes for Luck is what I've noticed.  

This is not how it's measured. I think what you are thinking about is explosiveness. It's not explosive, it doesn't get a ton of chunk plays, but it is fast paced... meaning... we line up fast and we run plays fast. We don't have the personnel for explosive offense right now. We don't have receivers who can make plays after the catch, we don't have deep weapons except for TY. This is why I'm on the train of wanting us to get high end targets for Luck next off-season(be it in FA(not many available) or in the draft). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what does "Fastest-paced offenses in neutral situations" even mean?

Essentially what has been said.  We line up and get plays off the fastest when not dictated by game situation.  (Like we're not in the 2 minute drill and we're not trying to bleed clock)

Think Chip Kelly when he coached the Eagles, but probably not quite as fast as Chip Kelly did it.  

Also Chip Kelly didn't change that style based on game situation.  I believe he lost at least one game maybe more because he refused to drop out of the up tempo style even when he had the ball and the lead late in the fourth quarter.

Colts however do bleed clock with the ball and the lead late in the 4th.  

I'm not sure what it is but the uptempo seems to cause defenses some problems.  In fact it's a little strange because I have seen a defense seem to be able to stop an offense easily but then that offense switches to no huddle and goes up tempo and suddenly the defense is on it's heels. 

I'm not sure why something like that causes problems for defenses but it does. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Article/Giants-Thursday-Injury-Report-Week-16-Alec-Ogletree-Odell-Beckham-126682945/

Giants Thursday Injury Report (Week 16): Three starters are out

The New York Giants are likely to be without three starting players and one key role player when they attempt to derail the Indianapolis Colts' playoff hopes in Week 16.

On Thursday, the Giants practiced for the second time this week and several players were not with them. Starting wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. (quad), starting center Spencer Pulley (ankle), and starting inside linebacker Alec Ogletree (concussion) all did not practice Thursday. Russell Shepard, who has operated as the Giants' No. 3 wide receiver (ankle) also missed practice. All four players are not expected to play this Sunday against the Colts. Starting safety Michael Thomas returned to practice on Thursday and he is now expected to play on Sunday...

The best offenses can do all things well: I noticed the time management in the last two games. TY looking for the refs at the end of the half last week. Great “situation” football.

The ability to run the ball when you need to or pass effectively when needed keeps defenses on their toes.

Good time to be a Colts fan!!!

• Like 1