Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why the Colts will put Dallas away...fast.

Lawrence Owen

On 12/12/2018 at 11:15 PM, Lawrence Owen said:

We all know what homerism is.  And I have found myself in that company a time or two myself.  But the more I research, the more I see Indy just dominating this game versus the Cowboys.  Now, It will sound like homerism as you read, but EVERYTHING I am about to write will have stats and/or history to back it up.  This is why:

First off, The biggest threats on the Cowboys offense are without a doubt Ezekiel Elliott & Amari Cooper.  Zek is by far the most all around dominate RB we have faced. He leads the NFL in yards @ 1262 and averages 4.7 YPC.  He is fed a LOT.  He averages 21 carries/game, which is by far the most in the NFL (2 more carries/game than even Gurley).  He is this teams bread and butter. If he can't get it going, Cowboys have to rely on Dak to carry the team.  Indy is 5th in the NFL in YPC allowed, and have 5 players on the front 7 with 9 or more TFL's on the season. Indy is REAL good at stopping the run. We just need to stack the box every possible run down with 8.  Bring Geathers down to help.  

They use play action a lot also because of how effective their run game is.  Once the Defense reads the ball is NOT in Zek's hands, they HAVE to do 2 things most importantly.  #1 Put a fast good tackler on Zek. He is a big play machine when Dak dumps it off to him.  I would have one of our LB'ers Leonard or Walker on him as a shadow.  #2 Is do the EXACT same thing to Cooper we did to Hopkins last week.  Whichever CB has Cooper, have him underneath, and have Hooker just over the top.  This will take the #1 WR the past 6 weeks of the NFL out of the game.  

Also, Dak is the MOST sacked QB in the NFL. Being sacked 48 times and hit a whopping 91.  He makes terrible decisions when under pressure.  Eberflus need to dial up those blitzes.  Make those run blitzes turn into pass blitzes when the ball stay's in Dak's hands.

If we do this, (toughest thing is stopping Zek's running attack I admit) We force Dak to win the game without his 2 main weapons.  I don't believe he can. I think we'll even get a few turnover's in the process whether by strip sacks, or just errant throws by an under pressure Dak.

Offensively, we need to stay protective of the pass rush ourselves.  Cowboys are tied for 12th in the NFL with us in pass rush sacks.  But unlike us, they have a premiere pass rusher that take the biggest load. Lawrence.  Lock him down.  When a team only has 1  top pass rusher, Our offensive line has given up only 4 sacks this year to teams with only one sack master over 8 sacks on the year (to this point).  Most of our sacks come from teams like the Jags or Titans with multiple sack masters on their team.  Double down on Lawrence.

Stay away from screens, like i said, Very fast rangy linebackers. And use Ebron and Mo-Alie Cox on Clearing routes.  For once, I think we can use our TE's to help our WR's.  Use the TE's to clear our the LB'ers from the middle of the field and hit our WR in those vacant spots. I would work on their DB's ALL game when passing.  Hit those soft zones.  Cowboys play a very similar zone scheme to what we do. Luck see's them every day, so he just need to play like he is playing his own defense.

Run the ball directly at them.  This defense is fast, but not very big.  Much like our own.  Run traps and guard pulls to hit linebackers on the second level to spring our fast RB's out to the open field. If we get even 3 yards/carry, it is successful because they know if they move someone back a big one could break.  So keep running even if the gains are minimal.  It will work in the play-action when Luck decides to keep it.

This is how i see the game.  I honestly think 21 would win this game.  But if Zek is held to under 4 YPC like every RB  we've faced (Except Sony Mitchel), I like our chances of winning by a bunch.

GREAT CALL!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pelt said:

Hey Lawrence, what are you... some sort of a friggin prophet or something?

3 hours ago, DraftMaster said:

@Lawrence Owen enlighten us with another prophecy! lol

I just do research on the other team throughout the week, add what i see from our Colts, and try to imagine how the game would go.  Granted, i've been pretty good at it so far.  3rd time i've posted a blow-out win when everyone else said it would be close or we'd lose.  I'll do another for the Giants.  (and get blow back like usual,..it's just how it goes.)

12 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I just do research on the other team throughout the week, add what i see from our Colts, and try to imagine how the game would go.  Granted, i've been pretty good at it so far.  3rd time i've posted a blow-out win when everyone else said it would be close or we'd lose.  I'll do another for the Giants.  (and get blow back like usual,..it's just how it goes.)

How did the Jaguars game research go? Just kidding :). Good call on the blow out aspect.

The bottom line is, if we do not beat ourselves, play like the metrics suggest we should play, things are typically in our favor by a huge margin. But then, 4th & 1, being ahead, I am sure analytics told Reich we should go for it but he chose a FG to go up 20-0 :thmup:

The numbers are only as good as how you use it and how you execute on the field with good decision making. 

Bottom line - if Ryan Kelly is part of the OL, we can bully the opposition DL along with the rest, period. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

How did the Jaguars game research go? Just kidding :). Good call on the blow out aspect.

The bottom line is, if we do not beat ourselves, play like the metrics suggest we should play, things are typically in our favor by a huge margin. But then, 4th & 1, being ahead, I am sure analytics told Reich we should go for it but he chose a FG to go up 20-0 :thmup:

The numbers are only as good as how you use it and how you execute on the field with good decision making. 

Your right.

And i did call the jags game differently. But no-one in the entire solar system expected the Jags D to play that game like They were SUPPOSED to play at the beginning of the year >.<

4 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Your right.

And i did call the jags game differently. But no-one in the entire solar system expected the Jags D to play that game like They were SUPPOSED to play at the beginning of the year >.<

Yeah, painful bump on the road for Reich and the Colts, and I doubt they will be caught unaware the next time because I sense they are fast learners. With Pagano, it took 2 or 3 years at least of playing Vontae Davis on Antonio Brown 1-on-1 before he changed it up. When they tested Darius Leonard on that 4th down, I thought "heck yeah, you test our best LB and this is what you get, America's team alright!!!". :) 

On 12/12/2018 at 11:15 PM, Lawrence Owen said:

We all know what homerism is.  And I have found myself in that company a time or two myself.  But the more I research, the more I see Indy just dominating this game versus the Cowboys.  Now, It will sound like homerism as you read, but EVERYTHING I am about to write will have stats and/or history to back it up.  This is why:

First off, The biggest threats on the Cowboys offense are without a doubt Ezekiel Elliott & Amari Cooper.  Zek is by far the most all around dominate RB we have faced. He leads the NFL in yards @ 1262 and averages 4.7 YPC.  He is fed a LOT.  He averages 21 carries/game, which is by far the most in the NFL (2 more carries/game than even Gurley).  He is this teams bread and butter. If he can't get it going, Cowboys have to rely on Dak to carry the team.  Indy is 5th in the NFL in YPC allowed, and have 5 players on the front 7 with 9 or more TFL's on the season. Indy is REAL good at stopping the run. We just need to stack the box every possible run down with 8.  Bring Geathers down to help.  

They use play action a lot also because of how effective their run game is.  Once the Defense reads the ball is NOT in Zek's hands, they HAVE to do 2 things most importantly.  #1 Put a fast good tackler on Zek. He is a big play machine when Dak dumps it off to him.  I would have one of our LB'ers Leonard or Walker on him as a shadow.  #2 Is do the EXACT same thing to Cooper we did to Hopkins last week.  Whichever CB has Cooper, have him underneath, and have Hooker just over the top.  This will take the #1 WR the past 6 weeks of the NFL out of the game.  

Also, Dak is the MOST sacked QB in the NFL. Being sacked 48 times and hit a whopping 91.  He makes terrible decisions when under pressure.  Eberflus need to dial up those blitzes.  Make those run blitzes turn into pass blitzes when the ball stay's in Dak's hands.

If we do this, (toughest thing is stopping Zek's running attack I admit) We force Dak to win the game without his 2 main weapons.  I don't believe he can. I think we'll even get a few turnover's in the process whether by strip sacks, or just errant throws by an under pressure Dak.

Offensively, we need to stay protective of the pass rush ourselves.  Cowboys are tied for 12th in the NFL with us in pass rush sacks.  But unlike us, they have a premiere pass rusher that take the biggest load. Lawrence.  Lock him down.  When a team only has 1  top pass rusher, Our offensive line has given up only 4 sacks this year to teams with only one sack master over 8 sacks on the year (to this point).  Most of our sacks come from teams like the Jags or Titans with multiple sack masters on their team.  Double down on Lawrence.

Stay away from screens, like i said, Very fast rangy linebackers. And use Ebron and Mo-Alie Cox on Clearing routes.  For once, I think we can use our TE's to help our WR's.  Use the TE's to clear our the LB'ers from the middle of the field and hit our WR in those vacant spots. I would work on their DB's ALL game when passing.  Hit those soft zones.  Cowboys play a very similar zone scheme to what we do. Luck see's them every day, so he just need to play like he is playing his own defense.

Run the ball directly at them.  This defense is fast, but not very big.  Much like our own.  Run traps and guard pulls to hit linebackers on the second level to spring our fast RB's out to the open field. If we get even 3 yards/carry, it is successful because they know if they move someone back a big one could break.  So keep running even if the gains are minimal.  It will work in the play-action when Luck decides to keep it.

This is how i see the game.  I honestly think 21 would win this game.  But if Zek is held to under 4 YPC like every RB  we've faced (Except Sony Mitchel), I like our chances of winning by a bunch.

I needs some numbers for the upcoming lotto ;)