Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Maniac

Trueman

4 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Here is a link to something i didn't realize.  How early Indy truly picked him compared to how the rest of the NFL viewed Leonard in unreal.  But, Honestly, a possible DROY/probowler in the 2nd round is worth it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000978218/article/colts-droy-candidate-darius-leonard-fueled-by-slights

The Indianapolis Colts weren't considered Day 2 winners when they selected linebacker Darius Leonard out of South Carolina State with the 36th overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft.

In fact, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport said he randomly received a flood of messages from team executives questioning why Leonard went so early. Rapoport can't remember there being such a disparity in an evaluation between one team and the rest of the league -- the Colts were thrilled Leonard was even on the board still.

Leonard, who appeared on the latest episode of the RapSheet and Friends podcast, says he didn't think he would be drafted that early either.

i think team need was probably a factor.  we had to get a line backer with some range for this defense, and Ballard rightfully thought Leonard was the last one on the board

it looked like a reach to a lot of people (including me) but hes been so good that most people were proven wrong.  to be fair, small school line backers and edge rushers often dont pan out 

The punch out was such a smart, amazing play.  The D hadn't played well, but you only needed one play to close it out, and Leonard made it - just one of those instinctive plays that great defenders make at critical junctures. 

They snapped the ball and I'm thinking... just one turnover... and he proceeds to punch it out.  Lol

• Like 1