Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The 3 year plan

cdgacoltsfan

35 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ok then.  We don't have any weapons besides TY and Ebron. 

I can't call Ebron and Doyle as being weapons at the same time, since one TE needs to be able to hang around the LOS for an outlet if not blocking.  

that's not at all true.   Have you been watching the games ? Swoope and Ebron were both on routes many times today

Here's the deal on next year's offseason. We aren't going to go hog wild in FA, but will find some starting caliber players to shore up some of these weak spots. 

The draft however, has the potential to be Ballard's best... possibly ever going forward, assuming a nice healthy career here. 

Currently ranked (obviously subject to much debate and great change from now until April), 10 of the top 13 ranked likely draft picks are defensive players. It will be defense heavy. The tackle situation is promising in the draft, but the #1 tackle is ranked 15 currently. Barring the Colts going on a winning streak, i don't forsee us picking outside of 10... and at the moment feel like inside of 3 is more likely. If Ballard can acquire picks between now and then, you can bet he is putting his money there. 10 draft picks this year and we might see a lot more next. Currently projected with 9 (2nd round jets pick and 4th round compensatory).

1st round- defensive lineman. A lot of big names going to be at the top at tackle, end and edge. 

2nd round- Tackle and defensive back

3rd round- value receiver (Miles Boykin from Notre Dame could be great value in day 2 next year...)

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

that's not at all true.   Have you been watching the games ? Swoope and Ebron were both on routes many times today

Sigh.  We're talking big picture stuff and you're getting stuck on argumentative minutia.  

When building a receiving corps, it works best, IMO, if the TE position is the guy relied upon...not exclusively...but thought of as the guy who gets the 8 yard chain moving catch, by reliable hands and being able to break a tackle.  That guy is a weapon.

A TE getting a 27 yard catch is doing the job of a slot receiver.  I'd take Tyler Lockett on 90% of Ebron's and Swoope's routes, and leave Doyle as my blocker and chain mover.

If I had Tony Gonzalez, or Kelce, I might alter the priorities of the receiving corps and find other receivers to complement my TE.  But I'm not starting my TE group with guys like Swoope and Ebron, then finding other receivers to complement them, and having a blocking TE with no hands.

So yes, we only have TY and Doyle (the chain mover) as weapons.  We need the #2 AND the #3 receiver.   Grant and Ebron are not them, IMO.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Sigh.  We're talking big picture stuff and you're getting stuck on argumentative minutia.  

When building a receiving corps, it works best, IMO, if the TE position is the guy relied upon...not exclusively...but thought of as the guy who gets the 8 yard chain moving catch, by reliable hands and being able to break a tackle.  That guy is a weapon.

A TE getting a 27 yard catch is doing the job of a slot receiver.  I'd take Tyler Lockett on 90% of Ebron's and Swoope's routes, and leave Doyle as my blocker and chain mover.

If I had Tony Gonzalez, or Kelce, I might alter the priorities of the receiving corps and find other receivers to complement my TE.  But I'm not starting my TE group with guys like Swoope and Ebron, then finding other receivers to complement them, and having a blocking TE with no hands.

So yes, we only have TY and Doyle (the chain mover) as weapons.  We need the #2 AND the #3 receiver.   Grant and Ebron are not them, IMO.

I don't get this thinking. It's obvious Ebron isn't a great blocker, but you don't even mention that, and it's not what makes a TE a weapon. Ebron can do everything Doyle can do as a pass catcher, and more, so there's no reason he shouldn't be viewed as a weapon. He's a better weapon than Doyle, even if you don't prefer his style.

Plus, he leads all TEs in TD catches so far, so he's clearly doing a good job in his role.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ebron is more of a weapon than Doyle. In six games Ebron has eclipsed everything Doyle has done other than 80 receptions in a season. Doyle is not a weapon or a player teams plan against. He's never avaeraged 10 yds per reception in a season, career long rec. 26 yds and 5 TDs in a season. Just my two cents. Ebron>Doyle

35 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

I am not seeing what you're seeing in the offence:

OT in Houston it looked like we needed him.

Lots of drops against the pats.

Turn overs, many from replacement receivers.

I think TY is almost critical.

OT in Houston, we needed receivers to catch the ball. And someone to make a play on defense. 

I'd obviously rather have Hilton than not.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't get this thinking. It's obvious Ebron isn't a great blocker, but you don't even mention that, and it's not what makes a TE a weapon. Ebron can do everything Doyle can do as a pass catcher, and more, so there's no reason he shouldn't be viewed as a weapon. He's a better weapon than Doyle, even if you don't prefer his style.

Plus, he leads all TEs in TD catches so far, so he's clearly doing a good job in his role.

I guess I haven't seen Ebron called upon much to make a 5 yard catch and break a tackle to get 8 yards for a first down.  I see him running routes down field more like a WR.  In which case, I'd prefer a wide receiver do that.

Given what Ebron is asked to do, my question is, would Tyler Lockett have just as many TDs as Ebron does, or more, if asked to run the same type of routes?  Or even shorter routes where he gets the ball in space near the LOS?

I don't see the comparison of Ebron to Doyle as much as I see it as Ebron to Lockett.

And I understand that the defenses would play them differently, so it isn't a simple replacement.  I simply don't see Ebron as a weapon with which to retain in future decisions.