Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck is 29 today

dodsworth

We have a good decade of title chasing teams if he can stay

healthy that long. The coaching staff hasn't looked this promising

since the Dungy days or having a General Manager who understands

the importance of drafting linemen and defense early. 

I believe Reich's offense will be the rudder to stear the ship with it's

"Move the chains" premise to keep our defense somewhat fresh.

Another draft or two with the "draft linemen and defense" first, 

and the defense may not be the liability it has been for the 

majority of the last few decades.

Add in one of the best owners of the league and the arrow is

definitely pointing up. 

• Like 3

Just now, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Dang that went by fast.. he'll be 30 next year! he's got what, 5 -6 years left of prime play?

Hopefully has he is getting up there we'll have the TEAM around him that get life him up and we can get a couple chips!

If his shoulder holds up and it appears he is 100% as of now, he may play 10 more years but nothing is a guarantee. Drew Brees is still going strong, he had major shoulder surgery early in his career and he isn't near the athlete Luck is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If his shoulder holds up and it appears he is 100% as of now, he may play 10 more years but nothing is a guarantee. Drew Brees is still going strong, he had major shoulder surgery early in his career and he isn't near the athlete Luck is.

This is true.. and with the New continues QB safety rules. Playing into your 40's might be the new norm. Drew, like Tom, shows no signs up slowing down... 

Curse you Gregg Williams and the redskins! Folding up Manning that cold fall day. Perhaps Peyton would still be able to play today..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

This is true.. and with the New continues QB safety rules. Playing into your 40's might be the new norm. Drew, like Tom, shows no signs up slowing down... 

Curse you Gregg Williams and the redskins! Folding up Manning that cold fall day. Perhaps Peyton would still be able to play today..

I will never forget that hit Peyton took against the Skins. When I first seen it, I thought they broke Peyton in half! 

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I won't forget either.. I just looked it up again... a flag wasn't even thown. That was 2006.. that dude would've been suspended in today's game

Yep, that was before we won a SB. When I seen that hit, my biggest fear was that Peyton wouldn't be right the rest of the season. Luckily for us he was ok but that hit was awful.

19 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will never forget that hit Peyton took against the Skins. When I first seen it, I thought they broke Peyton in half! 

If i recall correctly, Manning scored a TD on that drive. 

• Like 1

seems like we wasted lucks years with the never ending rebuild with low dollar low talent players, no big impact draft picks. we need to copy the pats way. no rebuild just put above average talent on the field each season, does not  matter to bill how he gets them no long term building through the draft for them

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

seems like we wasted lucks years with the never ending rebuild with low dollar low talent players, no big impact draft picks. we need to copy the pats way. no rebuild just put above average talent on the field each season, does not  matter to bill how he gets them no long term building through the draft for them

No.

That strategy works for the Pats because BB is the GOAT HC. He could scheme an AFL player into looking like an all pro. Building through the draft is important. Remember that Tom Brady was a Patriots DRAFT CHOICE. Never underestimate the power of the draft.

38 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

No.

That strategy works for the Pats because BB is the GOAT HC. He could scheme an AFL player into looking like an all pro. Building through the draft is important. Remember that Tom Brady was a Patriots DRAFT CHOICE. Never underestimate the power of the draft.

i agree the draft is important but to be competitive each season you have to add playmakers in all ways not just the draft and other teams low priced cuts

48 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

No.

how has the power of the draft worked out for us, will we make the playoffs this year, the draft is great for getting a qb but to compete each season need more than the draft and low tier cuts from other teams

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

No.

The Patriots also passed on Brady five times before drafting him. They thought he had limitations too. There's a video somewhere that has coaches reading his scouting report from the draft. In essence, everyone thought he'd be a nice backup with good leadership abilities.

On 9/12/2018 at 10:28 PM, dodsworth said:

We have a good decade of title chasing teams if he can stay

healthy that long. The coaching staff hasn't looked this promising

since the Dungy days or having a General Manager who understands

the importance of drafting linemen and defense early. 

I believe Reich's offense will be the rudder to stear the ship with it's

"Move the chains" premise to keep our defense somewhat fresh.

Another draft or two with the "draft linemen and defense" first, 

and the defense may not be the liability it has been for the 

majority of the last few decades.

Add in one of the best owners of the league and the arrow is

definitely pointing up. 

He’s still taking way to many hits some is his own doing and some is the O-line. But whatever it is it’s to many at this rate he’s not going to last the season. 

9 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

He’s still taking way to many hits some is his own doing and some is the O-line. But whatever it is it’s to many at this rate he’s not going to last the season. 

You are correct with this observation. Luck needs to stop taking off upfield

like a fullback and slide instead of taking hits headfirst.

Reich is installing an offense for a system quarterback friendly program that

doesn't necessarily need a hall of famer under center. The Eagles and Pats

both use an offense which thrives on a QB friendly system where backups

do quite well.

Time is flying by.  Injury and organizational ineptness has squandered several good years for this guy.  He will be 30-something before the Colts rebuild a contending team around him. But there are no guarantees that Ballard will be successful or that Luck stays healthy.  I think we will be fortunate if we even make it to one Super Bowl in the Luck era.