Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One defensive wish

JMichael557

I just want to see one change to the defense. In todays football the DE on the backside can no longer  crash down. He must assume that the QB will keep the ball and go opposite the play. Check that first then pursue. It drives me crazy watching the DE's go inside while the QB keeps the ball for an easy run or throw. 

• Like 1

That's when the LB's have to step up. Actually, rushing from the inside is the better way to pressure the QB, because he cannot step up in the pocket. Forcing him to step out of the pocket is a half win.

Of course, mobile QB's are harder to chase down, but good LB corps can contain them. Not every time though. The Wilsons, the Cam Newtons (Kapernicks, Rodgerses, etc.) will run on you, they are good. But they can be limited.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

That's when the LB's have to step up. Actually, rushing from the inside is the better way to pressure the QB, because he cannot step up in the pocket. Forcing him to step out of the pocket is a half win.

Of course, mobile QB's are harder to chase down, but good LB corps can contain them. Not every time though. The Wilsons, the Cam Newtons (Kapernicks, Rodgerses, etc.) will run on you, they are good. But they can be limited.

I think he is referring to a QB play action bootleg, (when the QB fakes to the RB and rolls out the opposite way). I could be wrong though.

10 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I think he is referring to a QB play action bootleg, (when the QB fakes to the RB and rolls out the opposite way). I could be wrong though.

Oh. Then the problem is not the DE I guess. DE's won't stop a designed bootleg, because they are too slow to chase down the QB. It is the LB's, the back side corners, and - if he is up in the box - the strong safetys responsibility to cover the receivers and also hold the edge there. Not an easy task, it requires very good communication between the defensive players. No surprise that good defenses can do that, while bad defenses struggle there.

The DE can certainly stop that play. When the handoff is going in the opposite direction you attack the QB. If he clearly hands the ball off continue to pursue if he does not you tackle him adn the delay  caused by the handoff should put you right on top of the QB. 

19 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

The DE can certainly stop that play. When the handoff is going in the opposite direction you attack the QB. If he clearly hands the ball off continue to pursue if he does not you tackle him adn the delay  caused by the handoff should put you right on top of the QB. 

You can't play every down trying to not get beat by a bootleg.   The backer and corners have to recognize that. 

On 9/1/2018 at 7:45 AM, Savage21 said:

We need a stud at OLB/DE that can consistently get pressure on the opposing QB. Our secondary isn't talented enough to allow our opponent's receivers any extra time to get open. This team hasn't had a defensive force rushing the passer since Robert Mathis in 2013.

I would rather have a stud DT like Warren Sapp, J.J. Watt or Aaron Donald.

Getting pressure/sacks/Tackles For Loss and/or stuffing the run from the interior will help our Defense more than any other position imo. We have speed & agility everywhere else.

On 8/31/2018 at 11:11 AM, JMichael557 said:

I just want to see one change to the defense. In todays football the DE on the backside can no longer  crash down. He must assume that the QB will keep the ball and go opposite the play. Check that first then pursue. It drives me crazy watching the DE's go inside while the QB keeps the ball for an easy run or throw. 

On 8/31/2018 at 11:42 AM, Flash7 said:

Yes, it is frustrating to watch. The backside defender is left unblocked and usually is caught over-pursuing the run as the quarterback keeps it himself. This is the basis of the read-option play.  Once in a while, the QB does not hand off and will roll out backside unprotected; either as a play action pass downfield, or an option run by the QB. If successful, the DE/OLB is now going to be frozen some and slightly more hesitant to pursue the run from behind in case the QB keeps it again.  It's a numbers game.  With a typical QB under center, it's the Offenses 10 vs. their 11. But with Read Option here, it is at least 11 on 11, and since nobody is even blocking one of the D players at the point of attack, strength is now flipped and then becomes the offenses 11  versus the defenses 10 if done right.  This one example of the formation/call is why it is popular.

D coordinators are coming up with creative ways to defend.  One way I saw a few years ago was flipping responsibilities of the DE and OLB.  Make the DE always pursue the RB.  The OLB is now tasked with the QB (scrape exchange).  A QB trying to read the DE can be confused at this point if the D players execute their assignment correctly (more easily said than done).  Sometimes coaches call the correct play (on offense or defense) and players just don't run it correctly.  Of course, we fans blame the play calling.  LOL

Our young guys will blow assignments here and there, but speed should cover up some of that, I hope.