Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My First Year of Fantasy

I have been a big fan of the NFL for a good few years now but never entered into fantasy based on lack of opportunity and fear of the unknown, but I am now lucky enough to get in a UK based fantasy league where there are prizes up for grabs in a 12 team league.

I think my general NFL knowledge is fairly strong, especially for a Brit, but I am looking for some general advice on how to draft as I know it's a different craft. I have done a fair bit of research, so happy with the basics but any additional advice is more than welcome.

I did my first ever mock draft today (practice makes perfect right?!) and thought I would share my results and look for feedback, again a 12 team standard draft:

QB: Rivers, Dalton

RB: Mixon, Lewis, Breida

WR: A Brown, K Allen, J Brown (Bal)

Flex: Diggs, C Davis 

TE: J Graham, G Kittle

Def: Chargers

K: Vinatieri

I'm not going to claim to be an expert but there are a few general rules I try to draft by.

- Pay attention to coaching/schemes

DeMarco Murray had a great season in Dallas a few years ago. After that season he went to Philadelphia when Chip Kelly was the coach. He was drafted high but didn't do well. Then he goes to the Tennessee, who had a different offensive scheme, the following season. Murray had a good season his first year in Tennessee when you look at his average draft position.

- Draft on what they will do and not what they did

The first 3-4 rounds are easy but after that you want to look for rookies/young players who can breakout. For example, Melvin Gordon scored 0 touchdowns in his rookie season. Going into year 2 he was clearly going to get a lot of touches especially after Danny Woodhead got injured. At least the leagues I was in you could get him in rounds 8-10. Gordon finished the year as a top 10 back.

This approach is a little more risky. It usually means drafting younger players.

- Only draft 1 QB and TE

I usually only draft one QB and TE since you start more RBs and WRs. Plus, injuries happen more to RBs and WRs and those players usually score more points for you than TEs. You'll always end up cutting guys due to injuries/bye weeks but I like to use draft picks to try to find really good RBs and WRs.

I might end up drafting 2 QBs or 2 TEs in the right situation. For example, maybe last year you decide to take Luck late in the draft (believing he will eventually play) so you also grab another QB. Or maybe this year you role the dice on Deshaun Watson picking up where he left out but also want to take a more proven guy (like Matt Stafford) incase that doesn't happen.

45 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

I have been a big fan of the NFL for a good few years now but never entered into fantasy based on lack of opportunity and fear of the unknown, but I am now lucky enough to get in a UK based fantasy league where there are prizes up for grabs in a 12 team league.

I think my general NFL knowledge is fairly strong, especially for a Brit, but I am looking for some general advice on how to draft as I know it's a different craft. I have done a fair bit of research, so happy with the basics but any additional advice is more than welcome.

I did my first ever mock draft today (practice makes perfect right?!) and thought I would share my results and look for feedback, again a 12 team standard draft:

QB: Rivers, Dalton

RB: Mixon, Lewis, Breida

WR: A Brown, K Allen, J Brown (Bal)

Flex: Diggs, C Davis 

TE: J Graham, G Kittle

Def: Chargers

K: Vinatieri

Only need one QB and I’d wait till later in the draft. Rivers is a good fantasy QB, I wouldn’t draft Dalton. He can be a waiver wire pick up if needed. 

Only need 1TE and unless your going to go early for Gronk, Kelce, or Ertz I’d wait until later to get one. Seriously, there is the top 3 and then everyone else. But I personally wait until later. 

For the first 5 or 6 rounds at least, I’d go RB and WR. You can alternate or tack two back to back, just depends on who is available, but stack up on RB and WR early and often. 

Wait on defense and kicker until the last couple rounds. Especially in a 12 team league, you will need all the skill position players you can get your hands on. It’ll get pretty thin pretty quick.

Edit- forgot to mention that drafting is important and should get you a good base. But you absolutely gotta use the waiver wire and pick up the players who are trending up. You are guaranteed to draft someone that either gets injured or isn’t living up to his draft potential. The waiver wire, especially in a 12 team league is important. Defenses and kickers can be dropped and added each week to play your match ups. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Only need one QB and I’d wait till later in the draft. Rivers is a good fantasy QB, I wouldn’t draft Dalton. He can be a waiver wire pick up if needed. 

Only need 1TE and unless your going to go early for Gronk, Kelce, or Ertz I’d wait until later to get one. Seriously, there is the top 3 and then everyone else. But I personally wait until later. 

For the first 5 or 6 rounds at least, I’d go RB and WR. You can alternate or tack two back to back, just depends on who is available, but stack up on RB and WR early and often. 

Wait on defense and kicker until the last couple rounds. Especially in a 12 team league, you will need all the skill position players you can get your hands on. It’ll get pretty thin pretty quick.

Edit- forgot to mention that drafting is important and should get you a good base. But you absolutely gotta use the waiver wire and pick up the players who are trending up. You are guaranteed to draft someone that either gets injured or isn’t living up to his draft potential. The waiver wire, especially in a 12 team league is important. Defenses and kickers can be dropped and added each week to play your match ups. 

All really good advice, thanks buddy. Will do another couple of mocks before my draft on Wednesday and try and tweak 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

but I am looking for some general advice on how to draft as I know it's a different craft.

Don't get too hung up on the draft.  You want a good draft, but you don't win the league during the draft.  I can't even remember how many times I've lost my 1st round pick to injury.  But I'm usually in the playoffs because of what @Btown_Colt said:

4 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

But you absolutely gotta use the waiver wire and pick up the players who are trending up. You are guaranteed to draft someone that either gets injured or isn’t living up to his draft potential. The waiver wire, especially in a 12 team league is important. Defenses and kickers can be dropped and added each week to play your match ups. 

Everyone always feels like they hit a home-run after the draft, but you don't win the league during the draft.  You win making week-to-week adjustments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's my draft complete, don't feel great about the result, it seemed to go really fast and its hard to use mock drafts as real practice as so many people leave and it auto-drafts in the late rounds when you need to be able to get value.  I reached on a number of players where, with hindsight, I shouldn't have. :facepalm:

Either way, appreciate the advice from @Btown_Colt and @Lucky Colts Fan that gives me hope that the waiver wire could be my saviour as we go through the season. :goodluck:

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

That's my draft complete, don't feel great about the result, it seemed to go really fast and its hard to use mock drafts as real practice as so many people leave and it auto-drafts in the late rounds when you need to be able to get value.  I reached on a number of players where, with hindsight, I shouldn't have. :facepalm:

Either way, appreciate the advice from @Btown_Colt and @Lucky Colts Fan that gives me hope that the waiver wire could be my saviour as we go through the season. :goodluck:

can we see it?

Something for future drafts, since yours is over now.

I never draft a kicker.

Usually drafts are a few weeks away from season. I use that time to evaluate my roster. Then right before week 1, I will pick up a kicker and drop whoever needs to be.

That also gives you time to maybe work out a 2 for 1 trade with another team, that way you don't have to drop a guy.

Just something I usually do.

As far as everything else goes.

There is no set way to draft, its all about feel and who/what is available when your pick is up. Then who might be available come your next pick. That all goes into to it. I have won leagues going WR-WR 1st/2nd round, and RB-RB 1st/2nd round.

Usually when it comes to QB's, again its a feel thing. If the top few are gone, you can usually wait a few rounds 8-12 and get a solid second tier QB. Usually if that happens to me, which is most the time, I draft 2 QB's. Example- this year I drafted Can and Big Ben in my money league.

That guarantees me solid QB production all year, but also gives me trade bait if someone is in need.

Agree with TE's if you dont get one of the top guys, you can wait. Get a guy later, I hate having to stream TE's though. So if my roster allows it(meaning I feel good about rest if my guys and there is 1 guy I could do without), I would carry 2. I actually drafted 2 this year, but that was more because injury concerns with first one(Jordan Reed). Will drop other TE most likely for my kicker in due time.

Last thing, dont be afraid to make a bold move. If a player is suspended and slipping, try and roster him till he returns(exm:Mark Ingram this year). Also, if a player is unsigned(Dez Bryant), again if you feel good about your team, roster him.

1 minute ago, DaveA1102 said:

QB Luck

RB Johnson, Ajayi, Cohen, Breida, Chubb

WR Adams, Cooks, Landry, Doctson, Taylor

TE Ebron, Howard

DEF Saints 

K Crosby

Picked 4th in 12 team standard league 

Looks good really. Hopefully Johnson picks back up where he left off two seasons ago. I was one of the unfortunate ones who drafted him #1 overall last year. 

Make sure you check the waiver wire, and don’t be afraid to drop one of the TE’s if you need to pick up a player or one of them isn’t performing.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 11:11 PM, Narcosys said:

How are you doing so far?

Apologies @Narcosys only just saw this message.

Per the advice from @Btown_Colt and @Lucky Colts Fan I have tried to utilise the waiver wire as much as possible and so my team looks pretty strong right now:

QB Luck

RB Johnson, Conner, Cohen, Breida, Smallwood, Hines

WR Adams, Cooks, Landry, 

TE Kittle, Doyle

DEF Eagles

K Zuerlein

My record is average (3-4-2) but have had some bad matchups, as in, where I have scored well the other team has scored really well.  So, out of my 12 team league I am the 2nd highest scoring team, but am far and away the team with the most points scored against me.

I have been pretty happy with my first year so far and there is still a chance I make the playoffs but need to make a good run at it and I have a chance as most of my starters have now had their bye.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

Apologies @Narcosys only just saw this message.

Per the advice from @Btown_Colt and @Lucky Colts Fan I have tried to utilise the waiver wire as much as possible and so my team looks pretty strong right now:

QB Luck

RB Johnson, Conner, Cohen, Breida, Smallwood, Hines

WR Adams, Cooks, Landry, 

TE Kittle, Doyle

DEF Eagles

K Zuerlein

My record is average (3-4-2) but have had some bad matchups, as in, where I have scored well the other team has scored really well.  So, out of my 12 team league I am the 2nd highest scoring team, but am far and away the team with the most points scored against me.

I have been pretty happy with my first year so far and there is still a chance I make the playoffs but need to make a good run at it and I have a chance as most of my starters have now had their bye.

It looks solid. You gotta hate when they have their best game against you

• Like 1

• 1 month later...