Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Obsession to finish

ColtStrong2013

For those that watched Frank's postgame locker room talk, what do you think about the newest coach to team slogan for the Indianapolis Colts? Many of us mocked Pagano's chopping wood line. I know that it's part of coaching. They all have one. 

I feel like this "an obsession to finish" is a stab at the last several years in Colts football, where finishing games and plays have been a big issue. We saw this team finish the game last night, with a wonderful 1st down push by Wilkins to cap it off.  I hope this team takes the message to heart and learns how to consistently finish games this season. That is what all championship teams are made of. 

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

For those that watched Frank's postgame locker room talk, what do you think about the newest coach to team slogan for the Indianapolis Colts? Many of us mocked Pagano's chopping wood line. I know that it's part of coaching. They all have one. 

I feel like this "an obsession to finish" is a stab at the last several years in Colts football, where finishing games and plays have been a big issue. We saw this team finish the game last night, with a wonderful 1st down push by Wilkins to cap it off.  I hope this team takes the message to heart and learns how to consistently finish games this season. That is what all championship teams are made of. 

I think this mantra is great. I don't think it's intended to be a stab at Pagano but it's certainly been an issue with the past Colts teams and tons of other teams in the league (Pats vs Falcons SB ring a bell). An obsession with finishing games out means he wants constant effort. Foot on the pedal and get the job done. Honestly, I love it and think we really have a good coach on our hands.

34 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

I think this mantra is great. I don't think it's intended to be a stab at Pagano but it's certainly been an issue with the past Colts teams and tons of other teams in the league (Pats vs Falcons SB ring a bell). An obsession with finishing games out means he wants constant effort. Foot on the pedal and get the job done. Honestly, I love it and think we really have a good coach on our hands.

I don't think it's a stab at pagano...  but I do think it is intentionally Frank's first season's mantra because of the last few years of not finishing games/drives/plays off. 

Obsession to finish can and should be with everything, not just the end result. Finish a practice strong. Finish every play. Finish a drive that results in points (even if it means going for it on 4th and 1 on the 50,which we are going to see often.) Finish a defensive stand and get the ball back in #12's hands. Finish a 4th quarter for a change. Finish a season and make the playoffs. Obsession with finishing everything across the board. 

Finish the training camp strong and roll into the season healthy, hungry, and ready to smack Cincy in the mouth September 9th.

• Like 2

I don't think it's meant as a dig at anything. Only last year's Colts struggled to finish games, for the most part. 

But something my uncle always said: "A hit dog will holler." The only way anyone should take exception with Reich's mantra is if they lack or lacked toughness and the ability to finish. And even then, don't get mad; get better. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't think it's meant as a dig at anything. Only last year's Colts struggled to finish games, for the most part. 

But something my uncle always said: "A hit dog will holler." The only way anyone should take exception with Reich's mantra is if they lack or lacked toughness and the ability to finish. And even then, don't get mad; get better. 

Finishing games is one aspect of this mindset. I think the Colts in the past few years couldn't finish a lot of things. They were notorious for stalling drives. For not finishing plays tough and fighting for first downs. We have heard plenty reports of certain players on the roster today that didn't practice and prepare well last year. This mantra is aimed at them as much as it is finishing games. 

I dont necessarily think it's a stab at anything, but it does fit with changing the culture here. 

Funny thing is the colts used to be great at finishing with pagano, but would always start slow. Then towards the latter half of the pagano era, we couldn’t finish a game to save our lives. That SNF game against Houston in 2016 still kills me. How did we lose that?!

Oh well. Moving on to hopefully an era with more consistency and winning. Hey, Frank Reich is undefeated in his haha 

12 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Funny thing is the colts used to be great at finishing with pagano, but would always start slow. Then towards the latter half of the pagano era, we couldn’t finish a game to save our lives. That SNF game against Houston in 2016 still kills me. How did we lose that?!

Oh well. Moving on to hopefully an era with more consistency and winning. Hey, Frank Reich is undefeated in his haha 

I don't think that was Pagano's doing... They always started slow and then would rely on Andrew opening it up with an up tempo pace to get them back in the game... It's also why I have a high optimism in this new offense. It's not going to hold back #12 one bit. Start the game up tempo and if he gets hot early, put the foot on the gas. 

Obsession to finish, obsession to detail, obsession to win, etc. Best teams/players/coaches are obsessed with improving their craft as football professionals. Don't be content just because you made the NFL, or because you are in a close game as underdogs. Obsession to be the best will create better results. 

Reich is straight and to the point without making the locker

room feel as if it's a junior high post game. No game balls 

given out or painful one liners to digest.

Reich is a guy I can get behind as my fandom has taken

a beating the last few years. I will actually take time out 

of my Sunday to sit and watch games this season.