Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What If Nothing Happens On March 8?

oldunclemark

What if March 8 come and goes with nothing from Manning and nothing but

esoteric tweets from Irsay....

...would the next deal be the start of the 2012 NFL year...(March 13?)

or the draft (April 26?)

It has been pointed out to me that the March 8 date is an arbitrary agreement between two parties and

what if they both simply ignore it??

or the draft (April 26?)

It has been pointed out to me that the March 8 date is an arbitrary agreement between two parties and

Then Manning is a free agent and we get hit with a 28 million dollar "non-exercise fee" So they simply won't/can't ignore it!

"Non-exercise fee

Were the Colts to not exercise the $28 million option by March 8th, there is a non-exercise fee of that same $28 million due two days before the 2012 League Year, March 11th.

Translation: the Colts cannot simply let the option date pass without action; to do so would put them on the hook for the same amount and not have Manning. They will have to take the affirmative step of, yes, releasing Peyton Manning."

It might help if you reviewed these:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Peyton-Predicament-Part-1.html

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Peyton-Predicament-Part-2.html

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Peyton-Predicament-Part-3.html

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Peyton-Predicament-Part-4.html

My understanding is if the Colts don't pay the $28 million on March 8th, Manning is a free agent and can sign with other teams. So, something has to happen. It's arbitrary in that they could both agree to push it back, but if they did that, then that would be something happening on March 8th.

I guess what I'm asking is that since its a contract between two parties..

...what if March 9 comes with no announcement of any kind other that Irsay tweeting about the price of gas?

what if there's dead silence..?

yeah a decision is being made on the 8th either way. either he is cut, he is retained and given the bonus, he is retained but renegotiates the bonus, or they agree to delay the date.

4 possible options, but something is happening on that day (or before), no question.

or the draft (April 26?)

The Colts cannot ignore it, as FJC has shown, the non-exercise of the option carries a fee of $28MM that the Colts would be obligated to pay, and receive nada.

The Colts must actively release Manning on or before March 8 to escape the liability of paying $28MM to PM.

Ignoring it would be worse than financial mismanagement. It would be beyond stupid.

Then Manning is a free agent and we get hit with a 28 million dollar "non-exercise fee" So they simply won't/can't ignore it!

"Non-exercise fee

Were the Colts to not exercise the $28 million option by March 8th, there is a non-exercise fee of that same $28 million due two days before the 2012 League Year, March 11th.

Translation: the Colts cannot simply let the option date pass without action; to do so would put them on the hook for the same amount and not have Manning. They will have to take the affirmative step of, yes, releasing Peyton Manning."

It might help if you reviewed these:

http://www.nationalf...ent-Part-1.html

http://www.nationalf...ent-Part-2.html

http://www.nationalf...ent-Part-3.html

http://www.nationalf...ent-Part-4.html

You are a boss, FJC!

Something has to happen. The Colts have to pay the bonus or not. The only other option is that both parties have to agree to move the time for bonus payment to after a time when the Colts can evaluate Peyton's health.

According to the current contract, if the Colts do not actively release PM before March 8, or pay PM the option bonus of $28MM on March 8, the Colts would be subject to a non-exercise penalty payment due to PM on March 11 of $28MM, and in return, the Colts get nothing, while PM moves on as a FA, and $28MM richer.

Jim Irsay has to be decisive. He must determine if we reload and start Peyton now or if he must rebuild and move on without Peyton. Andrew Luck and or RGIII are capable enough prospects that they should compete for a starting job now. All starters whether it be Peyton or anybody should prove every year that he is better than his competition. I have felt in the past that Peyton always did what was best for the team. Until Peyton clarifies the truth about his health issues it will seem he has moved to selfishness. A lot of people dislike Irsay but he has a right to know that Peyton is healthy before he pays him the bonus.

If he wears #7 he'll either never win a playoff game or he'll just flat out stink. I think #13 is a safe choice.

Why? Big Ben won 2 SBs with jersey #7. John Elway went to 5 SBs, and won his last 2 with jersey #7.

Bradshaw, Brady, Rodgers all have rings wearing #12.

#13 is Dan Marino's number and I hope Luck stays away from that :).

Why? Big Ben won 2 SBs with jersey #7. John Elway went to 5 SBs, and won his last 2 with jersey #7.

Why? Luck should be hopeful if he's anywhere near the quarterback Marino was.

I hope he wears anything but 12 just to spite those that have already purchased the jersey.

Each team is bound by their own kharma. Bradshaw wore #12, but his success has nothing to do with a Colt Qb wearing that number and being successful. That would be limited to a Steelers Qb wearing that number.

#7 would be the likes of Jones, Hogaboom who've never won a playoff game and Painter...........

or the draft (April 26?)

That would mean we picked up the option and we are locked into the contract...

The Colts really can't just simply not do anything and this is a story they aren't going to be hide from people.

That would mean we picked up the option and we are locked into the contract...

The Colts really can't just simply not do anything and this is a story they aren't going to be hide from people.

They an agree to extend the deadline and not tell us because they dont want the public to be doing the doomsday countdown we've been doing.......

..again..how will we know..?

//