Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading Back.....but not the pick you think.

I really get the feeling Ballard is going to stay at 3 and take bpa unless we get a crazy good trade. I don't think we are talking a couple 2nd rounders...I'm thinking it would take a major package. However....I DO think that at the top of the 2nd RD we might see a lot of jockeying around and movement. I honestly see most teams staying put at the top and letting qbs fall to them in the first rd or with one of them making a move for Cousins allowing qbs to come back to them. The one exception I could see is a TB trade with Buffalo. Buffalo I think misses out in the FA qb sweep stakes and they don't quite have the ammo to get into the top 5 unless they go crazy mortgaging their future. Buffalo though goes up and gets their guy I'm thinking someone like Josh Allen. TB does it because they have spent a ton of capital in skill positions with WRs and TEs for Winston and they have solid front 7 on defense but man they need a quantity of help on their offensive line and secondary. I could easily see them using the 2 first round picks they could land to really bolster their OL, DB, or ER right where that second tier of talent comes in for those defensive backs and there very well could be some of those better lineman just getting ready to make a run there too. Plus they would have several second round picks to clean up those positions they might have missed...including a young rb. So that trade would make a lot of sense to me.

The major focus though I think is that I think we are more likely to move our pick at the top of Round 2 then Round 1. I think top of the second round is the place where we often see teams like to reach for that project qb....the Rudolphs, Jacksons, Faulks might go...or if a guy like Mayfield takes a tumble (could happen if a couple teams that like him pass or get a qb in free agency). I could see a number of teams then in Round 2 really be aggressive to move up and get a guy to groom or grab one if they wanted to land a guy in round 1 but it didn't work out. Of course we wouldn't land the haul we got in the first round but there is always a lot of movement at the top of the second round....lots of calls that happen between day 1 and day 2 and even if it isn't a qb lots of guys that fall out of the first that someone covets that I think would lead us to making a move early on day 2 when a team wants to jump up and beat everyone to a guy. Would you rather trade back day 1...or day 2. Interested in your thoughts.

If Ballard were to pass on say the Jets two #2 picks in addition to their 6th overall pick, I think that would be a big mistake. I have no doubt that either Chubb or Nelson will be there at 6 overall and both players would serve major needs for the Colts and give them an elite player to build around. QBs and Barkley will go in the top 5 picks. 

I've wondered about the second round pick being traded, but honestly, it won't get the Colts all that much. Maybe a slight move down gets you a late 3rd or early 4th? But then, you could miss out on the top talent remaining. After the mid 2nd round, it gets to be a crap shoot. Unless the offer is strong, hold your ground and grab talent. That is what the Colts need.....talented players at positions of serious need. LB; RB; O-line. The only place to make a truly meaningful trade is in the 1st round, and it has to be a strong offer. Otherwise, give me Chubb and a solid O-lineman in the second round, and I'll be happy. 

On 2/2/2018 at 9:24 AM, BProland85 said:

If Ballard were to pass on say the Jets two #2 picks in addition to their 6th overall pick, I think that would be a big mistake. I have no doubt that either Chubb or Nelson will be there at 6 overall and both players would serve major needs for the Colts and give them an elite player to build around. QBs and Barkley will go in the top 5 picks. 

Exactly the way I see it too. 

13 hours ago, Hoose said:

I've wondered about the second round pick being traded, but honestly, it won't get the Colts all that much. Maybe a slight move down gets you a late 3rd or early 4th? But then, you could miss out on the top talent remaining. After the mid 2nd round, it gets to be a crap shoot. Unless the offer is strong, hold your ground and grab talent. That is what the Colts need.....talented players at positions of serious need. LB; RB; O-line. The only place to make a truly meaningful trade is in the 1st round, and it has to be a strong offer. Otherwise, give me Chubb and a solid O-lineman in the second round, and I'll be happy. 

I would take the 6th overall and 2 seconds just about every draft year over the 3rd overall. 

Having a Nelson in this draft makes it an even. easier choice.

8 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I would take the 6th overall and 2 seconds just about every draft year over the 3rd overall. 

Having a Nelson in this draft makes it an even. easier choice.

I’d be good with that too. That’s the ideal situation for the Colts, though if Chubb or Barkley are still there I’m taking one of them over Nelson. 

So far I don’t see any players I would want to add in round 2 that would make me wanna give up Chubb at 3. It might change after pro days and combine but to me Chubb is in a class his own when it comes to helping this team. It would take more than a couple second rounders to get me to give him up. I think he will be a similar to Demarcus Ware. Would you pass on him to move back for a guard and a couple second rounders? I think Ballard stays home unless qb fall and things get crazy on the phone. I think start of day 2 it gets busy..somebody falls in love with a player maybe offers a future second or something to move up.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

So far I don’t see any players I would want to add in round 2 that would make me wanna give up Chubb at 3. It might change after pro days and combine but to me Chubb is in a class his own when it comes to helping this team. It would take more than a couple second rounders to get me to give him up. I think he will be a similar to Demarcus Ware. Would you pass on him to move back for a guard and a couple second rounders? I think Ballard stays home unless qb fall and things get crazy on the phone. I think start of day 2 it gets busy..somebody falls in love with a player maybe offers a future second or something to move up.

I still really feel he will be there at 5/6 after a trade down. I see at least 2, possibly even 3 QBs going in the top 5 picks. Add in Barkley going in the top 5 and you’ll still end up either Chubb or Nelson, both are elite players that will instantly help this team. 

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

I'm not saying its Chubb, but i'd rather draft an "elite" game-changer at #3, than to trade back so far that we get 3 "good" or "above average" players.  Sure, you can always find a surprise or two, but game-changers , well, change games.

I'm glad i'm not picking , or there might be grigs type threads about me here.

this IS really exciting though.

You guys forget about the Alex Smith trade. Where do you think Kirk Cousins is going?? Denver. They would not draft a QB. They would take Chubb in a heartbeat. The Jets will be guaranteed a qb, so a trade with us is highly unlikely. No sense in playing russian roulette in the draft. I think we stay at 3 and take Chubb. 

3 hours ago, Mr_486lo said:

You guys forget about the Alex Smith trade. Where do you think Kirk Cousins is going?? Denver. They would not draft a QB. They would take Chubb in a heartbeat. The Jets will be guaranteed a qb, so a trade with us is highly unlikely. No sense in playing russian roulette in the draft. I think we stay at 3 and take Chubb. 

There is a couple big questions to this draft. Do the Giants draft a qb...perhaps they draft Barkley (my leaning) and which team lands Cousins. If it’s Cleveland, Jets, Denver well then suddenly things really shake up. I’m not opposed to trading back...especially if Chubb is off the board but I better get a future first.