Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which WR do you go after??

Which WR should Colts pursue via Free Agency or trade??  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Guys available thru FA or Trade most likely right now..

• Allen Robinson
    • Danny Amendola
    • Jarvis Landry
    • Sammy Watkins
    • Terrelle Pryor
    • Tayvon Austin
    • Dez Bryant
    • Other

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for Landry. I know that he will come with a high price tag, but we are a team with a great need for a WR and we have the money.

I no longer want to spend money on guys like Avery, DHB, Nicks, Johnson, or Aiken. If you want a top-notch receiver, then you have to pay top-notch money. Otherwise, you will spend money on a guy that you will be looking to replace the following year --AKA wasting money, like all of the guys mentioned above.

6 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Why would you dump the only big play threat we have???

We are building for 2-3 years down the line IMO
 The players on my list all have speed.

1. price

2. age

3. he disappears  He won't be over targeted as in the past. So less value.

4. Daniels uses multiple threats to move the chains. 7 caught 30+ passes this season.

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

We are building for 2-3 years down the line IMO
 The players on my list all have speed.

1. price

2. age

3. he disappears  He won't be over targeted as in the past. So less value.

4. Daniels uses multiple threats to move the chains. 7 caught 30+ passes this season.

I guess I look at it different..The point of building is to add pieces to make you better, not dump a pro bowl WR who has great chemistry with Luck..Then you have to go find his replacement..McDaniels utilized a lot of guys in New England sure, but I think that was more out of necessity than desire..We are not in cap trouble so it is counter-productive to dump one of your biggest assets and then have to find a way to replace his production with lesser players..I don't think we are 3 years away either, if Luck is healthy and we hit on draft and free agency we can contend next season..

32 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gee, i thought it was top receivers for us to go after.
I discount Robinson being available.
No interest in Landry at his price or in Watkins.
 I'll take P Richardson and Alb Wilson. We should be able to get both for what we pay TY.
And Amendola if available.
Dump TY to Clev for pick 33 & 125

:sleepy:

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

We are trying to BUILD a contender. They are both 30.
I can't imagine they will be given an iota of consideration. 

So your plan is to build next 3 yrs and hope to contend when Luck is approaching his mid-30's??Franchise QBs do not grow on trees..We have wasted the first half of his career and as last few years can show you nothing is guaranteed..When you have the QB in place and have 85 million in cap you should be in win now mentality...Now if Luck was 23 or we didn't have a QB i can understand the long term vision..Even if we go big in free agency and spend most of our cap by the time the free agent contracts are expiring our draft picks hopefully will have hit and be developed and we will then still have the cap room to keep our guys...I see no reason to sit on money right now and not at least try to improve and put our name in the hat in the post season next year..

3 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I guess I look at it different..The point of building is to add pieces to make you better, not dump a pro bowl WR who has great chemistry with Luck..Then you have to go find his replacement..McDaniels utilized a lot of guys in New England sure, but I think that was more out of necessity than desire..We are not in cap trouble so it is counter-productive to dump one of your biggest assets and then have to find a way to replace his production with lesser players..I don't think we are 3 years away either, if Luck is healthy and we hit on draft and free agency we can contend next season..

TY has a very limited skill set, And he hurts us in the run game as a useless blocker.
 The two guys i mentioned would easily replace his production in yardage and exceed his touchdowns.
  And McDaniels loves having many targets in his offense. That is part of his Genius at attacking a defense

34 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

TY has a very limited skill set, And he hurts us in the run game as a useless blocker.
 The two guys i mentioned would easily replace his production in yardage and exceed his touchdowns.
  And McDaniels loves having many targets in his offense. That is part of his Genius at attacking a defense

Nothing wrong with multiple targets,  I just would prefer the targets be Hilton, Landry, Doyle, Rogers, Mack and Barkley..More than 1 way to skin a cat though..

7 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

So your plan is to build next 3 yrs and hope to contend when Luck is approaching his mid-30's??Franchise QBs do not grow on trees..We have wasted the first half of his career and as last few years can show you nothing is guaranteed..When you have the QB in place and have 85 million in cap you should be in win now mentality...Now if Luck was 23 or we didn't have a QB i can understand the long term vision..Even if we go big in free agency and spend most of our cap by the time the free agent contracts are expiring our draft picks hopefully will have hit and be developed and we will then still have the cap room to keep our guys...I see no reason to sit on money right now and not at least try to improve and put our name in the hat in the post season next year..

Actually Luck will still be in his prime 2-3 years from now.
 And with a new staff and a ____ roster at this point, it is ridiculous to think win Now.  JMO
 Of course Ballard will TRY to add a number of Quality young pieces to build a good roster.
  But i doubt he spends big on one guy. Maybe Norwell.
  I will make a guestimate and predict we roll over at least $25-30M of our Cap to next season.
  As Ballard is not in a win Now mode.
  But what do we KNOW.  :spit:

Slot: 

1. Jarvis Landry

2. Paul Richardson

3. Marquis Lee

4. Danny Amendola

5. Albert Wilson

6. Tayvon Austin 

7. John Brown

I'd be fine with any of these guys, but pretty much after Landry I'd like us to spend a 4/5 on a big bodied outside WR as well.

Outside:

1. Allen Robinson

2. Dez Bryant

3. Jordan Mathews

4. Sammy Watkins

Again, after Dez, I really am not very interested. Even Dez would have to be for good value (which he likely won't be). I'd like us to spend a 4/5 on a slot WR no matter who the outside WR is. 

Overall: 

1. Jarvis Landry

2. Allen Robinson

3. Paul Richardson

4. Danny AMendola

5. Dez Bryant

6. Jordan Matthews

7. Albert Wilson

8. Tavon Austin

9. John Brown

10. Sammy Watkins

11 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Nothing wrong with multiple targets,  I just would prefer the targets be Hilton, Landry, Doyle, Rogers, Mack and Barkley..Morr than 1 way to skin a cat though..

Well your wants SHOULD make a H----uva attack.  Barkley would be lined up all over the field creating mismatches Galore. Irsay would probably cry if Ballard passes on him.  :thmup:

1 hour ago, TrueBlue12 said:

I agree. One key to the Pats' quick throw offense has been the Edelman, Amendola types who use quickness and football IQ to flash open quickly. I'm not sure if Chester Rogers fits the bill or not. I think JM will want a sure fire slot receiver to implement his offense.

Amendola isn't all that quick.   Edelman is

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think getting Dez for cheap(like a 5th rd.pick?) is a possibility. He would compliment TY well. And either draft a WR or resign Moncreif if price is not too high.

I mean Banner was a 4th rounder so by that standard..Banner for Martavious or Dez bryant is a risk well worth taking...

3 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

I mean Banner was a 4th rounder so by that standard..Banner for Martavious or Dez bryant is a risk well worth taking...

That's terrible logic. That's like me saying Phillip Dorsett was a first rounder so by that standard ... Dorsett for Martavious or Dez is a risk well worth taking...

5 minutes ago, Reidm said:

That's terrible logic. That's like me saying Phillip Dorsett was a first rounder so by that standard ... Dorsett for Martavious or Dez is a risk well worth taking...

I was joking but yeah i would have traded Dorsett for either 1 after yr 2..

Tavon Austin is actually a guy I'd give a look to.  I don't really care what happened in St. Louis/L.A. Rams because most of his stay there they had bad QB play.  I think there's some nice things you could do with him working the middle areas of the field on crossing routes, rub routes.  Screen and quick hitch game is there along with some other things you can do to cause matchup problems with the speed in short areas and deep.   Some of the same stuff the Pats saw to make them acquire Phillip Dorsett I think is there with Tavon Austin although I think Austin is a better athlete than Dorsett.  Austin can actually make people miss.   Very good run after the catch player to me with great start stop ability.  I think his ability translates into the type of offense we will be running.   I  wouldn't be surprised if Mcdaniels had some interest.   Price shouldn't be too high. Of course he wouldn't be the only guy I brought in. Others may not agree with me, but  I do think he's worth a look.