Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cap Space

JimJaime

I read this on cap space, and I KNOW the steelers are dealing with their cap issues but I have not heard anything of Oakland dealing with theirs yet. (could their be some big names CUT in oakland?)

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

What do you think, and I see now why Irsay wants Manning to restructure. you add in even a small portion of that 28 mill bonus and the colts can get some good FA on D to improve it quickly.

With him on the roster his hit is 17, and if we just cut him it's 10. I don't see that 7 mil being enough justification to cutting him.

The $7 million in 2012 cap space is just scratching the surface. The $28 million retention bonus (real money that Irsay has to pay as of March 8) and the cap space in 2013-2015 (average of $19 million per) are the real justifications. And that's only considering the uncertainty of whether he'll play at a high level again.

If he hadn't needed the spinal fusion and came back to play at a high level last year, and we still had a chance to draft Luck (highly unlikely, but let's go with it), I think there wouldn't be very much talk about the Colts opting out, and we'd still be drafting Luck #1 overall.