Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3-4 Defense: A Chance For Jerry Hughes?

austriancolt

It's been there but people like you and others don't see it because you don't want to see it.

Hughes has played behind two all-pro defensive ends.

• When you look at the number of snaps he's played in two years, he's played the equivalent of about 4 games.
  • But in those snaps you have seen (if you were looking) someone who is very quick off the snap, has field awareness and last year was close to getting 4 or 5 sacks. With additional playing time you would see those almost sacks start becoming sacks and knock downs.
  • He's the only DE the last two years who has shown any ability to recognize and defend the bootleg to his side.

You know what's really funny. I remember having a similar conversation with someone on the Indystar forum about Freeney. The guy was talking about what a wasted pick he was and if he was any good he'd be starting. My response was basically... he has looked disruptive when he's been in the game, when he becomes a starter it's really going to show.

Now, I don't think Hughes is as good as Freeney but he has been disruptive when he's been in the game. The biggest reason why Freeney got a shot earlier in his career than Hughes is because Freeney was playing behind Bratzke (a good all around DE) and Scioli, whereas Hughes is playing behind Freeney and Mathis.

"It's been there but people like you and others don't see it because you don't want to see it." ?? Please tell me why I wouldn't want to 'see it'? Do you think I've developed a hate complex for the guy? I wish he was the second coming of Freeney. But he's not. I don't see it because the coaches don't see it. And there is nothing to see. If his snaps are limited, it is for a reason. I hope he pushes through this year, whether it's due to new schemes, better coaching, more opportunities, or luck (not Luck). But I don't see it happening.

Perhaps his 21 tackles in 2 years give you hope. They give me thoughts of 'bust'......

Hughes had excellent production in college the couple of years he started. He was a RB in high school so it took him a while to make the position change and to grow into the position. He seems to be a natural LB who maybe could play in a simpler system than the Colts ran the last 2 years. This year will determine if he can play in the NFL. He has much better coaching. With his athletic ability he should have been a difference maker on special teams if not at DE.

Hughes had excellent production in college the couple of years he started. He was a RB in high school so it took him a while to make the position change and to grow into the position. He seems to be a natural LB who maybe could play in a simpler system than the Colts ran the last 2 years. This year will determine if he can play in the NFL. He has much better coaching. With his athletic ability he should have been a difference maker on special teams if not at DE.

it's decided, we move him to either RB or MLB. case closed.

Maybe the 3-4 Defense will change a lot of peoples careers. Fili Maola played mostly DE at USC instead of DT. Ricardo Matthews also played DE at Cinncinanti. It could be Maola and Matthews compete with Anderson to form bigger DEs. If Hughes and Mathis can start at OLBs it is possible the Colts could put together a competitive defense in 2012. Freeney and Nevis could rotate in when a 4-3 defense is used. Mario Harvey could be an interesting player at ILB. Harvey ran a 4.46 on his pro day at 257lbs. Colts still desperately need a NT and a CB to be competitive.

Not to continue to beat a dead horse but we will see if the problem was Hughes or the coaching staff. A good defensive coordinator would determine who his best players are and devise a scheme to put his best players on the field. Coach Caldwell fired his defensive coordinator which tells us coaching was part of the problem. Bill Polian had talked of using Hughes in a joker role but that never came to fruition. Hughes has been trained for two years to be a DE when his measurables suggested he should be an OLB. Murphy was the best defensive coach Caldwell had but never got a chance to tutor Hughes. Lets give coach Pagano a chance to see what Hughes can do before we throw the baby out with the bath water.

Not to continue to beat a dead horse but we will see if the problem was Hughes or the coaching staff. A good defensive coordinator would determine who his best players are and devise a scheme to put his best players on the field. Coach Caldwell fired his defensive coordinator which tells us coaching was part of the problem. Bill Polian had talked of using Hughes in a joker role but that never came to fruition. Hughes has been trained for two years to be a DE when his measurables suggested he should be an OLB. Murphy was the best defensive coach Caldwell had but never got a chance to tutor Hughes. Lets give coach Pagano a chance to see what Hughes can do before we throw the baby out with the bath water.

'Joker role'. That just about sums it up. And Polian for that matter.....

I watched Hughes at TCU and he was a beast. No Oline wanted to be near him. Would would think that kind of talent shopuld translate to some role in our defense especially if we go hybrid. Hybrid might show us something special from him. I am hoping it allows even more from Nevis too. He could cause problems with certain alignments

I watched Hughes at TCU and he was a beast. No Oline wanted to be near him. Would would think that kind of talent shopuld translate to some role in our defense especially if we go hybrid. Hybrid might show us something special from him. I am hoping it allows even more from Nevis too. He could cause problems with certain alignments

You would think, wouldnt you? But he hasn't shown anything close to the vicinity of average in two years. As you say, maybe the change in coaching / schemes etc may shake him loose from the shackles of bust land. But I'm not giving him much hope with that escape....

By signing one key free agent the Colts could field a decent 3-4 team in 2012. If we sign Carlos Rogers as a CB then the 3-4 could be Fili Moala at RDE, Jamal Anderson at LDE, draft Josh Chapman as NT in round 2, Pat Angerer and Phillip wheeler at ILBs, Jerry Hughes and Robert Mathis as OLBs, Carlos Rogers and Jerraud Powers at CB, and finally David Caldwell and Antoine Bethea at Safeties. Freeney and Nevis can come in when the team runs a 4-3 defense.

Do you think I've developed a hate complex for the guy?

Yes, much the same as you did with Polian.
I wish he was the second coming of Freeney. But he's not.
Why? I'd rather him just be Jerry Hughes
I don't see it because the coaches don't see it.
One, you know what the coaches see or don't see? Also you can't make up your own decision on things, someone else has to do that for your.
And there is nothing to see. If his snaps are limited, it is for a reason.
Yes there is a reason... the reason is Frathis or Meeney or whatever you want to call it.
Perhaps his 21 tackles in 2 years give you hope. They give me thoughts of 'bust'......

No, I watch what he does in his snaps and that is what give me hope. But if I were one to make decisions based on the stat sheet rather then I'd probably draw the wrong conclusions as well.

I think you at least give him a chance this year with the new coaching,,....not a good attitude to go in with sayin he will do nothing! Pagano will know what to do with him or if he is worth keeping. Larry Coyer was a joke and Jim Caldwell as a person I fully respect him but he is not good at being a head coach.