Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich Wrs Coach In Arizona

chad72

See I never understood this... Why was Frank Reich coaching the receivers here, and now in Arizona. He was a quarterback in high school, college and the NFL. I know he taught the QBs in his first year, but why did he end up coaching the WRs. I think it's bad FO work.

See I never understood this... Why was Frank Reich coaching the receivers here, and now in Arizona. He was a quarterback in high school, college and the NFL. I know he taught the QBs in his first year, but why did he end up coaching the WRs. I think it's bad FO work.

Do you think Peyton works closely with the receivers on patterns, etc?

Do you think Peyton works closely with the receivers on patterns, etc?

Ok, but this guy is a quarterback with experience as a quarterback. He needs to teach receivers to become receivers and running patterns is not the only thing about receivers. There is speed, catching, and common sense. In my receiving career, whether it be with the Redmen or the Omaha Nighthawks (on the PS), I have had a receivers coach who was a receiver. I've never had a receivers coach who played QB. Speed, catching and receiving common sense... you can't be taught that by a QB, you must be taught it by a guy who has played the position. I do realize however that WR and QB go hand in hand and you do see a lot of QBs switch to play WR, like Armanti Edwards and Brad Smith. I just think if you played QB in your career, you should teach QB, because there are somethings that just don't work at other positions.

Ok, but this guy is a quarterback with experience as a quarterback. He needs to teach receivers to become receivers and running patterns is not the only thing about receivers. There is speed, catching, and common sense. In my receiving career, whether it be with the Redmen or the Omaha Nighthawks (on the PS), I have had a receivers coach who was a receiver. I've never had a receivers coach who played QB. Speed, catching and receiving common sense... you can't be taught that by a QB, you must be taught it by a guy who has played the position. I do realize however that WR and QB go hand in hand and you do see a lot of QBs switch to play WR, like Armanti Edwards and Brad Smith. I just think if you played QB in your career, you should teach QB, because there are somethings that just don't work at other positions.

Speed, catching and common sense.

Bare with me, as I never played beyond HS, and never played QB, C, or WR (way too short).

So......

Speed: Aside from working on acceleration, isn't about controlling your speed, and cuts?

Catching: Aside from hand/eye coordination, which can only be improved by repetition, isn't it about hand and body postioning?

Common Sense: Those without common sense don't develop it 'cept through living. Unless, you're referring to route running, etc.

I believe that someone can learn to teach these things without being able to do them themselves.

I believe that happens more than we'd like to think.

I'd find it more difficult for a WR to learn the QB position than it would for a QB to learn the WR position.

Speed, catching and common sense.

Bare with me, as I never played beyond HS, and never played QB, C, or WR (way too short).

So......

Speed: Aside from working on acceleration, isn't about controlling your speed, and cuts?

Catching: Aside from hand/eye coordination, which can only be improved by repetition, isn't it about hand and body postioning?

Common Sense: Those without common sense don't develop it 'cept through living. Unless, you're referring to route running, etc.

I believe that someone can learn to teach these things without being able to do them themselves.

I believe that happens more than we'd like to think.

I'd find it more difficult for a WR to learn the QB position than it would for a QB to learn the WR position.

Alright, you got the jist of it down, but there is much more to that.

Speed:

- Explosiveness: How fast you get off the line... very very important

- Acceleration: Like you said, how fast you run

- Cuts: There are 2 kinds of cuts : speed and strong......speed cut involves barely any stopping, but more just a quick step; shouldnt slow you down. Strong cut is the one you're thinking of. It involves you to slow down and take a big step and push off. Like on a 10 yard in, you must run to 10 yards and push off to the left (or right), and push off hard. Your suppose to get more speed out of it, and get more seperation

- Control: You're trying to go as fast as you can most of the time, but sometimes you start out slower then pick up a lot of speed.

- Juking: Involves speed and smarts...you know what it is

Catching:

- Hand/Eye Coordination: Most important thing besides having the ability to catch, well it helps your ability to catch. You know what it is

- Hand Positioning: It's pretty much based on how good your hand/eye coordination is. If you have a good one, you know where to put your hands. Muscle memory also has a great impact on hand positioning, and it takes practice to know where to put it. You should also catch the ball with your hands (tip of them), not your body. It will just bounce off your shoulder pads.

- Body Positioning: Also muscle memory is involved + experience. This is what separates the good from the best. The ones that can catch the balls thrown behind them. It's pretty much all mental, although there is muscle memory. It takes athletic ability, and you must be smart to repositioning your body to adjust to the ball.

Common Sense *This is the one that seems to catch you off-guard, im assuming*

- What I mean by common sense is your smarts. If your covered by a cornerback, and the QB has no one to throw to, you have to find separation. It's your frame of mind when your in a game. YOU LEARN THIS AS YOU PLAY MORE FOOTBALL!! It's your common sense on the field. It's involves reading the cornerbacks (are they in a zone or man....where are the empty areas). It doesn't really involves route running, because you're trying to figure out what they're doing, how to get separation, juking,etc. You have to know what route to run in order to get open.

I just don't understand how I quarterback can teach a person how to run, catch and most importantly teach him smarts/football common sense. Maybe if he spends a lot of time, he can figure out most of the running and catching, but teaching smarts is by far the hardest. He must have spent a crap load of time studying the receiver spot, or else Im not convinced he's a receiver coach.

I completely agree with you on your last line, which makes me wonder why they made Ron Turner the QB coach after he spent years as a WR coach (well he's not with the team anymore). Bottom line, I feel more comfortable with a guy who played receiver than a guy who played QB.

Hope that helps...feel free to ask more questions.

Alright, you got the jist of it down, but there is much more to that.

Speed:

- Explosiveness: How fast you get off the line... very very important

- Acceleration: Like you said, how fast you run

- Cuts: There are 2 kinds of cuts : speed and strong......speed cut involves barely any stopping, but more just a quick step; shouldnt slow you down. Strong cut is the one you're thinking of. It involves you to slow down and take a big step and push off. Like on a 10 yard in, you must run to 10 yards and push off to the left (or right), and push off hard. Your suppose to get more speed out of it, and get more seperation

- Control: You're trying to go as fast as you can most of the time, but sometimes you start out slower then pick up a lot of speed.

- Juking: Involves speed and smarts...you know what it is

Catching:

- Hand/Eye Coordination: Most important thing besides having the ability to catch, well it helps your ability to catch. You know what it is

- Hand Positioning: It's pretty much based on how good your hand/eye coordination is. If you have a good one, you know where to put your hands. Muscle memory also has a great impact on hand positioning, and it takes practice to know where to put it. You should also catch the ball with your hands (tip of them), not your body. It will just bounce off your shoulder pads.

- Body Positioning: Also muscle memory is involved + experience. This is what separates the good from the best. The ones that can catch the balls thrown behind them. It's pretty much all mental, although there is muscle memory. It takes athletic ability, and you must be smart to repositioning your body to adjust to the ball.

Common Sense *This is the one that seems to catch you off-guard, im assuming*

- What I mean by common sense is your smarts. If your covered by a cornerback, and the QB has no one to throw to, you have to find separation. It's your frame of mind when your in a game. YOU LEARN THIS AS YOU PLAY MORE FOOTBALL!! It's your common sense on the field. It's involves reading the cornerbacks (are they in a zone or man....where are the empty areas). It doesn't really involves route running, because you're trying to figure out what they're doing, how to get separation, juking,etc. You have to know what route to run in order to get open.

I just don't understand how I quarterback can teach a person how to run, catch and most importantly teach him smarts/football common sense. Maybe if he spends a lot of time, he can figure out most of the running and catching, but teaching smarts is by far the hardest. He must have spent a crap load of time studying the receiver spot, or else Im not convinced he's a receiver coach.

I completely agree with you on your last line, which makes me wonder why they made Ron Turner the QB coach after he spent years as a WR coach (well he's not with the team anymore). Bottom line, I feel more comfortable with a guy who played receiver than a guy who played QB.

Hope that helps...feel free to ask more questions.

FYI

This'll make you nuts.

Today the Packers moved their TE coach to the QB coach, and the Cards made room for Reich to be the WR coach by moving their WR coach to be the QB coach.

FYI

This'll make you nuts.

Today the Packers moved their TE coach to the QB coach, and the Cards made room for Reich to be the WR coach by moving their WR coach to be the QB coach.

I just don't get it. The only way I can think of this working out is if the TE coach spent a lot of time with the QB coach and the QB coach thought him everything about being a QB. EIther way, it's a very questionable move.