Peyton Manning - Backup Qb?

oldunclemark

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Call it a gut feeling, call it commonsense... call it whatever you want. I'm not Cooper Manning, I don't have any inside information, it's just that I don't see him giving up his quest to tutor/hold the hand/babysit his replacement.

My opinion of what I would like to see happen doesn't matter. That hasn't happened or won't happen.

fair enough....I'm just being optimistic....my nature....my common sense

why is it sad, MP...its football.

He'l be fine whether he plays or not..

For the good of the Colts.....It would help us if he's still around./

Agreed?

You think fans are going to respond positively to watching the God Peyton reduced to 3rd string QB to play nursemaid to Andrew Luck? You think that's going to stop the resentment some fans are going to feel regardless of what happens?

Mark, you're grasping at straws.

why is it sad, MP...its football.

He'l be fine whether he plays or not..

For the good of the Colts.....It would help us if he's still around./

Agreed?

It's sad to see people on here saying pm will be a 3rd string qb. Ur grasping for straws. If we release him Jim is cutting ties with him. We won't be resigning him to be a 3rd string it's pretty simple. Accept the fact that pm most likely will not be a colt.

This is for you mark

the seven stages of grief

1. shock & denial

2. pain & guilt

3. anger & bargaining

4. depression, reflection, and lonliness

5. the upward turn

6. reconstruction and working through

7. acceptance & hope

I'll put you at 3.

You think fans are going to respond positively to watching the God Peyton reduced to 3rd string QB to play nursemaid to Andrew Luck? You think that's going to stop the resentment some fans are going to feel regardless of what happens?

Mark, you're grasping at straws.

No way. I think Andrew Luck would respond positively.........and yes....Obviously Mannng's precense as a mentor would ease Luck's break-in.

Certainly it would. And fans would not backlash on Andrew if we start losing because he'd be 'Manning's pupil'

That's some of your common sense talking. :yes:

Besides, a 75% Manning is light years ahead of unproven Andrew Luck.

I'm glad you can make that statement, you must have some sort of psychic ability. Instead of picking on how you know even a 100% manning would be better than Luck i'll pick on how exactly you think a 75% Manning would perform? While your digging for an answer be a good chap and throw me some winning lottery numbers.

have Manning as a 3rd string QB is the upward turn..................right

sounds like you are bargaining at any costs to have Manning on the team :)

the day you get here.....Andrew..and put on that horseshoe helmnet..

I'm riding with you my man...

I just dont want to end the Mannkng era yet

No way. I think Andrew Luck would respond positively.........and yes....Obviously Mannng's precense as a mentor would ease Luck's break-in.

Certainly it would. And fans would not backlash on Andrew if we start losing because he'd be 'Manning's pupil'

That's some of your common sense talking. :yes:

The problem here is that Peyton Manning has become a security blanket to many of you. We feel safe and sound that "as long as Peyton is here, we'll be a contender!" Which is largely true. Except the problem is that at some point (perhaps sooner than later) Peyton isn't going to be here. And we all are going to have to deal with that. We may have to deal with that in a few weeks. Maybe in a year. If the stars align perhaps in a few years. But it's going to happen.

In order for Andrew Luck to be successful with this franchise, we cannot expect him to be Peyton Manning. Steve Young didn't try and be Joe Montana, he tried to be the best Steve Young he could be. If Luck tries to be Peyton, he's going to fail. No one can be Peyton except Peyton. All that Luck can do is to try and be the best Andrew Luck he can be. I don't think our fan base will let him do that with Peyton standing over his shoulder even if it's done so with the best intentions.

In order to move on, there has to be some semblence of closure. If Manning hangs around in the capacity you're suggesting, that moment will never come. There will be people who swear at any moment Mannings going to lace up his cleats and come running through the door.

And they're going to be disappointed.

the day you get here.....Andrew..and put on that horseshoe helmnet..

I'm riding with you my man...

I just dont want to end the Mannkng era yet

I don't think anyone wants it to bud, I'm one of the biggest supporters of starting new with luck/rg3 but I don't want manning to leave. I wish we could keep them both and not be in such a bad cap situation but it's not logical. It's a perfect time to start fresh with the remake of the front office. Exciting times in Indy but I will never forget 18 and will retire his jersey and hang it up in the basement.

The problem here is that Peyton Manning has become a security blanket to many of you. We feel safe and sound that "as long as Peyton is here, we'll be a contender!" Which is largely true. Except the problem is that at some point (perhaps sooner than later) Peyton isn't going to be here. And we all are going to have to deal with that. We may have to deal with that in a few weeks. Maybe in a year. If the stars align perhaps in a few years. But it's going to happen.

In order for Andrew Luck to be successful with this franchise, we cannot expect him to be Peyton Manning. Steve Young didn't try and be Joe Montana, he tried to be the best Steve Young he could be. If Luck tries to be Peyton, he's going to fail. No one can be Peyton except Peyton. All that Luck can do is to try and be the best Andrew Luck he can be. I don't think our fan base will let him do that with Peyton standing over his shoulder even if it's done so with the best intentions.

In order to move on, there has to be some semblence of closure. If Manning hangs around in the capacity you're suggesting, that moment will never come. There will be people who swear at any moment Mannings going to lace up his cleats and come running through the door.

And they're going to be disappointed.

That's a good point. How ironic that the only way to stop a QB controversy is to move on with out Peyton.That his staunchest supporters become the very reason for it.

This thread is a perfect example why a dislike button should be a valid option.

When I don't like something I prefer to reply and tell them why. Open, honest, forthright. I know for a fact that you have no problem doing the same.

Yeh old invisible negative used to drive me nuts because I'd have no clue what the problem was and no way to figure it out and no way to defend myself. Is it one guy who just happens to disagree with you, or did you insult someone, or was it an accident, or are you completely off base. It inspires devisiveness and paranoia. Even a visible negative would make me want to lash out and over-react, when if the person just told me the problem we could have a conversation.

This is about the tenth time I've seen someone write this, and I don't get it. Since the change "likes" have been flying off the shelves like nobody's business, and the mood around here has improved (in concert with a lot of moderator warnings and effort). I for one don't miss the negatives in the slightest.

When I don't like something I prefer to reply and tell them why. Open, honest, forthright. I know for a fact that you have no problem doing the same.

Yeh old invisible negative used to drive me nuts because I'd have no clue what the problem was and no way to figure it out and no way to defend myself. Is it one guy who just happens to disagree with you, or did you insult someone, or was it an accident, or are you completely off base. It inspires devisiveness and paranoia. Even a visible negative would make me want to lash out and over-react, when if the person just told me the problem we could have a conversation.

This is about the tenth time I've seen someone write this, and I don't get it. Since the change "likes" have been flying off the shelves like nobody's business, and the mood around here has improved (in concert with a lot of moderator warnings and effort). I for one don't miss the negatives in the slightest.

In some cases, and this might be one, it would be much easier to throw the blind dislike out as opposed to trying to inform the person.