Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

After doing research here are the best teams that have won the World Series winning % wise since 1947. I took teams from the 1947 Season to now because before the 1947 Season African Americans weren't allowed to play (Jackie Robinson rule), WW2 was over by then as well. 

1. 1998 NY Yankees 114-48 70.4%

2. 1961 NY Yankees 109-53 67.3%

3. 1970 Baltimore Orioles 108-54 66.7%

1975 Cincinnati Reds 108-54 66.7%

1986 NY Mets 108-54 66.7%

-3 tied for 3rd in winning %

6. 1953  NY Yankees 99-52 65.6%

7. 1984 Detroit Tigers 104-58 64.2%

8. 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers 98-55 64.1%

9. 2016 Chicago Cubs 103-58 64.0% (had 1 game called due to weather so played 161 counted games towards W/L's)

-These are teams that won at least 64% of their Regular Season games and won the World Series.

I studied all of these Rosters and IMO, the 1961 Yankees were the best team out of this bunch. That was the season Maris hit 61 HR's, Mantle hit 54 HR's, and Yogi Berra was a fantastic Catcher. The main part of their starting Pitching staff consisted of Whitey Ford who went 25-4, Bill Stafford 14-9, and Ralph Terry 16-3. They had a reliever by the name of Luis Arroyo who was 15-5 and had 29 Saves. Feel free to chime in Baseball junkies, Happy New Year!

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Thank you NFLFan for the heads up.  Thank you Jay for starting the thread. I've been a Yankee fan since birth. (my father and both older brothers were Yankee fans, I never considered any other team.) I started attending games in the early 60's (a down era for the bombers) & the best team I've witnessed in the Bronx has been the 98 team. That team was solid top to bottom & did everything well.

I haven't been paying much attention to the goings on so far this upcoming season but I will be checking back with this thread from time to time to see what everyone thinks here. I will have a better idea what I think of the various races as spring gets nearer.

Thanks again.

Would be great to have you aboard , its a good bunch of folks very little drama and we like perspective from all of baseball.

16 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Would be great to have you aboard , its a good bunch of folks very little drama and we like perspective from all of baseball.

Thank you Jay. I look forward to hearing everyone's perspective on the upcoming season. I agree with 2006's post above. I was only 7 in 1961 but that Yankee team that year was something that only comes around once in a life time. I do remember 1998 very well & kept thinking to myself all that season that I had never seen a team so complete. I also think the Oakland A's of the early 70's were a force as well, along with the big red machine a few years later.

1 hour ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Thank you Jay. I look forward to hearing everyone's perspective on the upcoming season. I agree with 2006's post above. I was only 7 in 1961 but that Yankee team that year was something that only comes around once in a life time. I do remember 1998 very well & kept thinking to myself all that season that I had never seen a team so complete. I also think the Oakland A's of the early 70's were a force as well, along with the big red machine a few years later.

I actually wasn't born yet in 1961 but going by research and studying the Rosters I would put the 1961 team the best, having said that out of the teams I have seen live I would agree the 1998 Yankees were the best. Hard to argue against a team that went 114-48.

I think all 9 of those teams I listed were special. The Big Red Machine had Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, and Joe Morgan + Sparky Anderson was a Great manager. The 1986 Mets had an awesome Pitching staff with Doc Gooden, Ron Darling, Bob Ojeda, and Sid Fernandez + hitters like Darryl Strawberry, Keith Hernandez, and Gary Carter. My Cubs of last season had an awesome Pitching staff as well with Jake Arrieta, Jon Lester, Kyle Hendricks, and John Lackey + Chap in relief! Kris Bryant won League MVP as well.

On December 30, 2016 at 5:33 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah it is actually M Colts M - he is a Cubs fan but I agree I wish we had more fans of different teams. That Buccolts guy is a Pirates fan so he will probably Post here. Not an AL team but different.

Found it, lol! Its been rough being on the site past few weeks, glad we have options like this thread to get our minds off of things! Thanks guys!

Wow what a list, you've definitely done your homework! I must admit, I'm not a huge baseball history buff, mainly know about my Cubbies, and some Dodgers, as my pops was a big fan of Fernando Valenzuela. I have a lot of memories of watching him play and seeing the look of happiness and pride on my pops face!  I look forward to learning from this thread, as a lot of you seem to be very knowledgeable on baseball history and the other historic teams.

I've only been alive during 2 of the teams on your list World Series wins, born in 78. Never a big fan of the Yankees, but did like Derek Jeter, and do remember thier dominant run in 98. Then of course I got to witness the amazing Cubs 2016 season and World Series win, still can't believe it! I hope that in my lifetime I get to experience another one(maybe 2017:thmup:) but if not I can say I got to experience this one with my best bud, my 7 yr old son! Hope he looks back and remembers watching it with his pops when he's my age.

38 minutes ago, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

Found it, lol! Its been rough being on the site past few weeks, glad we have options like this thread to get our minds off of things! Thanks guys!

Wow what a list, you've definitely done your homework! I must admit, I'm not a huge baseball history buff, mainly know about my Cubbies, and some Dodgers, as my pops was a big fan of Fernando Valenzuela. I have a lot of memories of watching him play and seeing the look of happiness and pride on my pops face!  I look forward to learning from this thread, as a lot of you seem to be very knowledgeable on baseball history and the other historic teams.

I've only been alive during 2 of the teams on your list World Series wins, born in 78. Never a big fan of the Yankees, but did like Derek Jeter, and do remember thier dominant run in 98. Then of course I got to witness the amazing Cubs 2016 season and World Series win, still can't believe it! I hope that in my lifetime I get to experience another one(maybe 2017:thmup:) but if not I can say I got to experience this one with my best bud, my 7 yr old son! Hope he looks back and remembers watching it with his pops when he's my age.

Glad you found it, I was getting ready to message you but couldn't remember your exact handle LOL. Cubs winning it all has eased my pain with the Colts missing the Playoffs.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 6:11 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

After doing research here are the best teams that have won the World Series winning % wise since 1947. I took teams from the 1947 Season to now because before the 1947 Season African Americans weren't allowed to play (Jackie Robinson rule), WW2 was over by then as well. 

1. 1998 NY Yankees 114-48 70.4%

2. 1961 NY Yankees 109-53 67.3%

3. 1970 Baltimore Orioles 108-54 66.7%

1975 Cincinnati Reds 108-54 66.7%

1986 NY Mets 108-54 66.7%

-3 tied for 3rd in winning %

6. 1953  NY Yankees 99-52 65.6%

7. 1984 Detroit Tigers 104-58 64.2%

8. 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers 98-55 64.1%

9. 2016 Chicago Cubs 103-58 64.0% (had 1 game called due to weather so played 161 counted games towards W/L's)

-These are teams that won at least 64% of their Regular Season games and won the World Series.

I studied all of these Rosters and IMO, the 1961 Yankees were the best team out of this bunch. That was the season Maris hit 61 HR's, Mantle hit 54 HR's, and Yogi Berra was a fantastic Catcher. The main part of their starting Pitching staff consisted of Whitey Ford who went 25-4, Bill Stafford 14-9, and Ralph Terry 16-3. They had a reliever by the name of Luis Arroyo who was 15-5 and had 29 Saves. Feel free to chime in Baseball junkies, Happy New Year!

Here is the all-time Playoff bracket:

#1 1998 Yankees

vs the winner of #8 1955 Dodgers/#9 2016 Cubs (play in game)

#2 1961 Yankees vs #7 1984 Tigers - 5 game series

#3 1970 Orioles vs #6 1953 Yankees - 5 game series

#4 1975 Reds vs #5 1986 Mets - 5 game series

-What I did with the 3 way tie between the Orioles, Reds, and Mets I just gave the higher Seed to the team that won 108 games first. Only way I could do it because 1 team didn't out do the other! *The higher seed has HFA

My play in game results:

I have the 2016 Cubs beating the 1955 Dodgers, so the 2016 Cubs now have to face the 1998 Yankees in a 5 game series. Stay tuned for the rest. 2016 Cubs advance.

17 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Baseball has been dead for a few days but hey there are some good power bats to bring off the bench out there in FA . was kind of hoping the Cards would go get  Mark Trumbo for an extra outfielder for a year or two.

You still have time. Would you like to take Bruce from us? The Mets are trying to find a team for him. He does not seem like a NY guy. He looked out of place the whole time with the Mets last season. I think Bruce will play better if he goes back to the NFC Central.

21 hours ago, NFLfan said:

You still have time. Would you like to take Bruce from us? The Mets are trying to find a team for him. He does not seem like a NY guy. He looked out of place the whole time with the Mets last season. I think Bruce will play better if he goes back to the NFC Central.

If you need a 1rst baseman lol

First, thank the heavens for the 2016 Cubs, it has been a long, long, long time coming for the most die hard and faithful fans on the planet. No one can predict 2017 but I will subscribe to eh Direct TV MLB for the 2017 season to watch the Cubs games. The Cards will give chase all season long. It will not be a runaway by any NFC Central team. The Cubs roster will be loaded with talent and a backup roster second to none.

Go Cubs!!

23 minutes ago, King Colt said:

First, thank the heavens for the 2016 Cubs, it has been a long, long, long time coming for the most die hard and faithful fans on the planet. No one can predict 2017 but I will subscribe to eh Direct TV MLB for the 2017 season to watch the Cubs games. The Cards will give chase all season long. It will not be a runaway by any NFC Central team. The Cubs roster will be loaded with talent and a backup roster second to none.

Go Cubs!!

I had no idea you were a Cubs fan. You are one of my new best friends now. Hopefully you Post here throughout the season. I have been a Cubs fan since that 1984 Season. I watched them all summer long on WGN that year and thought that they would win it all. Since then I have followed them closely. Andre Dawson's 1987 Season was so entertaining as well. He was slugging HR's out left and right! Yes we finally won the WS, the best thing that has happened to me sports wise ever with the exception of the Colts winning the SB in 2006. Kris Bryant winning the NL MVP was the cherry on Top.

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I had no idea you were a Cubs fan. You are one of my new best friends now. Hopefully you Post here throughout the season. I have been a Cubs fan since that 1984 Season. I watched them all summer long on WGN that year and thought that they would win it all. Since then I have followed them closely. Andre Dawson's 1987 Season was so entertaining as well. He was slugging HR's out left and right! Yes we finally won the WS, the best thing that has happened to me sports wise ever with the exception of the Colts winning the SB in 2006. Kris Bryant winning the NL MVP was the cherry on Top.

Silly as it sounds I still am uncomfortable watching reruns of the World Series and I was watching some show the other day and one of the panel members said the same thing! Can't wait to watch opening day at Wrigley, it should be a madhouse.

2 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Silly as it sounds I still am uncomfortable watching reruns of the World Series and I was watching some show the other day and one of the panel members said the same thing! Can't wait to watch opening day at Wrigley, it should be a madhouse.

Game 7 had me so scared at times I kept walking away from the TV. I couldn't even watch it at times and was nervous as hell through the last few innings. When Chap gave up that HR, I thought for sure Cubs would lose. 

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Game 7 had me so scared at times I kept walking away from the TV. I couldn't even watch it at times and was nervous as hell through the last few innings. When Chap gave up that HR, I thought for sure Cubs would lose. 

Not for me just bought the entire WS plus Game 6 of the NLCS on Blu zray

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:12 PM, NFLfan said:

Who is your 1st baseman? 

Matt Adams they wont let him go for nothing. Very good against rightys not so much on leftys . Has been injured quite a bit. Still young at 28 . If you got a full season probably 30 + HRs

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:49 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here is the all-time Playoff bracket:

#1 1998 Yankees

vs the winner of #8 1955 Dodgers/#9 2016 Cubs (play in game)

#2 1961 Yankees vs #7 1984 Tigers - 5 game series

#3 1970 Orioles vs #6 1953 Yankees - 5 game series

#4 1975 Reds vs #5 1986 Mets - 5 game series

-What I did with the 3 way tie between the Orioles, Reds, and Mets I just gave the higher Seed to the team that won 108 games first. Only way I could do it because 1 team didn't out do the other! *The higher seed has HFA

My play in game results:

I have the 2016 Cubs beating the 1955 Dodgers, so the 2016 Cubs now have to face the 1998 Yankees in a 5 game series. Stay tuned for the rest. 2016 Cubs advance.

I have the 1970 Orioles beating the 1953 Yankees 3 games to 2. I have the 1961 Yankees beating the 1984 Tigers 3 games to 1. I have the 1986 Mets beating the 1975 Reds 3 games to 2. I have the 1998 Yankees beating the 2016 Cubs 3 games to 2! So the matchups now look like this in the Fantasy League regarding the next round:

#1 1998 Yankees vs #5 1986 Mets - 7 game series

#2 1961 Yankees vs #3 1970 Orioles - 7 game series

-The toughest by far to judge was the 75 Reds vs the 86 Mets. I chose the 86 Mets because they have the better overall Pitching. That was like a 50/50 series in my mind. Reds did have one hell of a batting lineup though.

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have the #3 1970 Orioles beating the #6 1953 Yankees 3 games to 2. I have the #2 1961 Yankees beating the #7 1984 Tigers 3 games to 1. I have the #5 1986 Mets beating the #4 1975 Reds 3 games to 2. I have the #1 1998 Yankees beating the #8 2016 Cubs 3 games to 2! So the matchups now look like this in the Fantasy League regarding the next round:

#1 1998 Yankees vs #5 1986 Mets - 7 game series

#2 1961 Yankees vs #3 1970 Orioles - 7 game series

-The toughest by far to judge was the 75 Reds vs the 86 Mets. I chose the 86 Mets because they have the better overall Pitching. That was like a 50/50 series in my mind. Reds did have one hell of a batting lineup though.

I have the 1986 Mets beating the 1998 Yankees 4-3 in a thrilling Game 7. I have the 1961 Yankees beating the 1970 Orioles 4-2.

-That leaves the 1986 Mets vs the 1961 Yankees for the Title of Greatest ever. Best of 7, Doc Gooden vs Whitey Ford in Game 1 from Yankees stadium!

51 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have the 1986 Mets beating the 1998 Yankees 4-3 in a thrilling Game 7. I have the 1961 Yankees beating the 1970 Orioles 4-2.

-That leaves the 1986 Mets vs the 1961 Yankees for the Title of Greatest ever. Best of 7, Doc Gooden vs Whitey Ford in Game 1 from Yankees stadium!

:) That would be a major upset. While I loved that team, I can't see the '86 Mets beating the '98 Yankees. How many future HoF players or borderline ones were on that Yankees team? 

8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

:) That would be a major upset. While I loved that team, I can't see the '86 Mets beating the '98 Yankees. How many future HoF players or borderline ones were on that Yankees team? 

There is always, usually a big upset in a Playoff. I really don't think it's a big upset. Mets had the Pitching to get it done, every starting pitcher on that team arguably was an all-star from Doc, Darling, Ojeda, and Fernandez. I think Pitching is more important than hitting in a series, yes you have to score runs too but when you have 3 or 4 pitchers only giving up 1 or 2 runs in a game your chances of winning are above 50%. Anyway ultimately I have the 1961 Yankees beating the 1986 Mets 4-3 to take the Title of best ever. Congrats to the 1961 Yankees and their fans as they are the best franchise of all-time as well.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:08 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There is always, usually a big upset in a Playoff. I really don't think it's a big upset. Mets had the Pitching to get it done, every starting pitcher on that team arguably was an all-star from Doc, Darling, Ojeda, and Fernandez. I think Pitching is more important than hitting in a series, yes you have to score runs too but when you have 3 or 4 pitchers only giving up 1 or 2 runs in a game your chances of winning are above 50%. Anyway ultimately I have the 1961 Yankees beating the 1986 Mets 4-3 to take the Title of best ever. Congrats to the 1961 Yankees and their fans as they are the best franchise of all-time as well.

Lol I will take the 34 or 64 Cardinals against any team you want to compare. Why  your at it throw in the 71 and 79 Pirates , Also very hard to argue against the Big Red Machine.

On 1/8/2017 at 2:08 PM, Jay Kirk said:

Baseball has been dead for a few days but hey there are some good power bats to bring off the bench out there in FA . was kind of hoping the Cards would go get  Mark Trumbo for an extra outfielder for a year or two.

The Cubs......HA!  

5 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

As far as The alltime great its a matter of preference in what you prefer. Its hard to argue against any of the teams mentioned. Although they lost I would include the 86 Red Sox as one of the best.

Stargell, Parker and the boys were bad to the bone.

6 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

As far as The alltime great its a matter of preference in what you prefer. Its hard to argue against any of the teams mentioned. Although they lost I would include the 86 Red Sox as one of the best.

Actually the 1985 Cards got ripped off. I still considered them the Champs. Guy was out at first, game over. 85 Cards had maybe the best Defensive team fielding wise of all-time and they were speedy on the base paths.

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Actually the 1985 Cards got ripped off. I still considered them the Champs. Guy was out at first, game over. 85 Cards had maybe the best Defensive team fielding wise of all-time and they were speedy on the base paths.

True the were built for the old Busch Stadium by the White Rat lol Whitey Herzog one of the better managers ive seen IMO. . They really battled through those years with some great Mets teams. It was a fun time. 

Speaking of Stargell, Parker, and Roberto Clemente, the Baseball Hall of Fame will soon be voting on its next class. Will Pudge Rodriguez be elected to the Hall of Fame? I always viewed him as one of the great ones but later I thought he may have been among those who used PEDs. Since he never tested positive and never admitted to PED use, he may get in. What do you all think?

19 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Speaking of Stargell, Parker, and Roberto Clemente, the Baseball Hall of Fame will soon be voting on its next class. Will Pudge Rodriguez be elected to the Hall of Fame? I always viewed him as one of the great ones but later I thought he may have been among those who used PEDs. Since he never tested positive and never admitted to PED use, he may get in. What do you all think?

Baseball MLB is to blame if they had been policing this wouldn't be an issue. I say before policing if the stats say so they get in. You go way back we don't know what others were using to get an edge. Lets not be hypocrites about it. Now that they are policing different story.We all know B Bonds was one of the worst abusers and I guarantee he gets in why others deserving wont . Lets quit the politically correct nonsense. 

3 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Baseball MLB is to blame if they had been policing this wouldn't be an issue. I say before policing if the stats say so they get in. You go way back we don't know what others were using to get an edge. Lets not be hypocrites about it. Now that they are policing different story.We all know B Bonds was one of the worst abusers and I guarantee he gets in why others deserving wont . Lets quit the politically correct nonsense. 

I agree. As much as I don't like Clemens, he belongs in the Hall of Fame.

You think Bonds gets voted in? He and Clemens have not come close.  Many of the Baseball writers who vote for the Baseball HoF say they will not vote for PED users. So far, no one who has tested positive or admitted to using PEDs has gotten in. Even those suspected of using have come way short of getting voted in, like Bagwell. However, I think David Ortiz will make it 5 years from now.

Archived