Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tough call next year on Frank Gore

ztboiler

i say keep him.

Not only is he a short yardage monster still, he is great at picking up blitzes.

On the non-production note, next year if we get a good RB, LB, and corner, with the way our young guys have been playing and progressing, we should be a much better overall team.  with a chance to make a run late in the postseason. (atleast this is my hope.)

If anyone deserves a chance to get a Lombardi,.....it is Gore.

13 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

You are spot on regarding his abilities. IMO  :thmup:
He can be offered less money of course.
They screwed up bigly by not drafting a RB instead of wasting a 4th on Morrison.

I could not agree more. I would have taken CB Robinson from LSU. I realize due to his off the field problems many won't agree. We had every RB from the 2016 class minus Elliott Henry and Prosise  still on the board Booker Howard Dixon any of the 3 would have been fine.  

15 hours ago, ztboiler said:

For much of the year I've thought we should bring Gore back for the last year of his contract at age 34 while developing a rookie with him.  There is still a case to be made for that.

However, I think there is a stronger case to be made in accordance with the old adage that Gore is just good enough to get you beat.

If an inside runner isn't a legitimate threat to bounce it outside then you've made your team much too easy to defend.  That is our current reality when Gore carries and he gets most of them.

He also turns screen and swing passes that might gain 15 into 8 routinely.

We would certainly give something up to let him go, but I think we are giving up even more if we keep him....

Even at a modest 3.5M cost, that is money we could use to replace him or buy half a number 2 corner....and his contract was never designed to have him stay for a third year....zero dead money.

With 4 weeks to go in the regular the regular season...   I don't think the call is all that hard.

For me,  at this point,  Gore comes back.   His struggles the past few weeks come from poor o-line blocking plus, in the Pittsburgh game,  there was no Luck, and so they could key on Gore.      When Frank Gore struggles,  there's typically a good reason that has less to do with Gore and more to do with....   well....   everyone else.

Yes,  he's  not the same as he once was.

But I want him on the team next year, if, for no other reason,  he can show our new RB's how to be a professional.      Honestly,  I'd like to keep Gore in the franchise after he retires and make him an assistant RB's coach.     I think he's an important guy to have as part of the franchise.     The team LOVES him.    With guys like him and Michael Adams,  you want to keep them around even after their done.    They can still help teams win.

Gore gets another year from me as a player,  and then hopefully many more as a coach....

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

With 4 weeks to go in the regular the regular season...   I don't think the call is all that hard.

For me,  at this point,  Gore comes back.   His struggles the past few weeks come from poor o-line blocking plus, in the Pittsburgh game,  there was no Luck, and so they could key on Gore.      When Frank Gore struggles,  there's typically a good reason that has less to do with Gore and more to do with....   well....   everyone else.

Yes,  he's  not the same as he once was.

But I want him on the team next year, if, for no other reason,  he can show our new RB's how to be a professional.      Honestly,  I'd like to keep Gore in the franchise after he retires and make him an assistant RB's coach.     I think he's an important guy to have as part of the franchise.     The team LOVES him.    With guys like him and Michael Adams,  you want to keep them around even after their done.    They can still help teams win.

Gore gets another year from me as a player,  and then hopefully many more as a coach....

There is certainly a good case to be made for keeping him.  Very valid.

I was right there with you until I filled up both sides of the ledger....and the debits outweigh the credits for me when you consider how much explosion is given up and how easy we are too defend with him in the game.

1 hour ago, ztboiler said:

There is certainly a good case to be made for keeping him.  Very valid.

I was right there with you until I filled up both sides of the ledger....and the debits outweigh the credits for me when you consider how much explosion is given up and how easy we are too defend with him in the game.

ZTB....

I want to be clear about something.     Though I want to bring Gore back,  I also want him to have less touches next year.      I want our draft pick,  his eventual replacement,  to be in a time-share arrangement and carrying the ball some.      You know, roughly 70/30 or so,  give or take.

This should be part of the phasing Gore out experience I'm expecting....    fewer touches.

I just really like his presence on the team.   

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

ZTB....

I want to be clear about something.     Though I want to bring Gore back,  I also want him to have less touches next year.      I want our draft pick,  his eventual replacement,  to be in a time-share arrangement and carrying the ball some.      You know, roughly 70/30 or so,  give or take.

This should be part of the phasing Gore out experience I'm expecting....    fewer touches.

I just really like his presence on the team.   

Again, your case is valid and does in fact seem like the most probable preference of this staff.

I just hope we move on for reasons on the other side of the balance sheet and overall roster building.