Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possible NFL D league could happen

RockThatBlue

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

An NFL D-league would basically be taking a bunch of money and throwing it into a fire.  

It's not going to draw the attention necessary to pay for all the basic costs of having a football team which are extensive.

I disagree if you out say KC D league team in St Louis you keep that fan base and get them now watching the chiefs.

say you put the Rams D league in Oakland for the same reason.. so on and so on.. it could work.. 

22 hours ago, JimJaime said:

I disagree if you out say KC D league team in St Louis you keep that fan base and get them now watching the chiefs.

say you put the Rams D league in Oakland for the same reason.. so on and so on.. it could work.. 

No, people will just watch the major team.  They arn't going to care about the D-league team.  Because most good NFL players will still go straight from college to the big team.  NFL careers are so short, even for good players that very few people are going to make it from the D-league to the NFL and have a good career. 

On 11/29/2016 at 0:10 PM, Valpo2004 said:

No, people will just watch the major team.  They arn't going to care about the D-league team.  Because most good NFL players will still go straight from college to the big team.  NFL careers are so short, even for good players that very few people are going to make it from the D-league to the NFL and have a good career. 

But you also get stars (not often) from the arena  league and the CFL, this would be a better product and a great place for teams w the injury bug to pull players. Sort of AAA for baseball.

Kinda useless, it would fizzle out. College football already does it's job as a developmental league. 

More of Roger Goodell chasing that dollar bill...I doubt this would be a popular idea with a lot of coaches, but I can see the owners approving it for quick money. 

13 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Kinda useless, it would fizzle out. College football already does it's job as a developmental league. 

More of Roger Goodell chasing that dollar bill...I doubt this would be a popular idea with a lot of coaches, but I can see the owners approving it for quick money. 

It wouldnt be a money maker.....they know that...

it would just be a break-even developmental league

..and there's just too much player cost....medical, injury insurance...pension

On 11/29/2016 at 9:10 AM, Valpo2004 said:

One variable is that good players decide not to go to college, or aren't eligible, so they go to the D League and get drafted from there. To me, that's the gap from NCAA to the NFL -- players who don't want to go to college. Another league would cater to them. 

Something that seems more reasonable than a D League, though, is expanding rosters and practice squads, making it easier for teams to keep and develop players, and loosening the restrictions for injured reserve. This would be costly, and if you're adding ten players to each team, you're adding 320 players to the league, all to be paid from the same pool that's been collectively bargained for a smaller amount of players (they've already expanded the practice squad, adding 64 players to the league). Same size pie, more people to feed. Teams would also need larger coaching staffs to really benefit from this kind of provision.

On 12/3/2016 at 3:19 PM, Superman said:

One variable is that good players decide not to go to college, or aren't eligible, so they go to the D League and get drafted from there. To me, that's the gap from NCAA to the NFL -- players who don't want to go to college. Another league would cater to them. 

Something that seems more reasonable than a D League, though, is expanding rosters and practice squads, making it easier for teams to keep and develop players, and loosening the restrictions for injured reserve. This would be costly, and if you're adding ten players to each team, you're adding 320 players to the league, all to be paid from the same pool that's been collectively bargained for a smaller amount of players (they've already expanded the practice squad, adding 64 players to the league). Same size pie, more people to feed. Teams would also need larger coaching staffs to really benefit from this kind of provision.

The main reason we don't have larger rosters is that the NFL is extremely interested in parity and doesn't want to see a guy sitting on the bench for very long with one team when he could be starting with another.  

Basically this keeps teams from stockpiling more talent then they need to play.  I think that's the issue, not the cost.  Those bottom 10 guys are going to be making NFL minimum anyways. 

Also I don't think there are that many players out there who don't qualify for college but are good enough to maybe make an NFL roster in a few years to make it worthwhile to create a D-league for them.  With Junior colleges and everything else there seems to be plenty of ways to get talented players into college football who arn't making the best grades.  

Plus creating this D-league would only encourage players to forgo college football for this new NFL D-league.  That's not something they want.