Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Touchdowns - The difference between rushing and throwing

kcccolts

Another Newbie/foreigner question.

You have very kindly answered my previous questions and I was hoping you could help me out with this puzzler.

Why is it that a touchdown can be scored when a player who is running (or being pushed) into the endzone only has to have the ball cross the line (with the rest of his body being outside the endzone potentially) yet a player catching the ball needs to have both feet in the endzone or the catch does not count.

It seems a bit of a contradiction, but I am sure you will all keep me right.

Thanks again.

In order for a person to score a touchdown, he must have both (1) possession of the ball and (2) have the ball cross the plane of the end zone.   With respect to number 2, the plane of the end zone is the white line, so all some one has to do is to have the ball touch the white line.

With respect to number 1, possession, you must remember that the rules with respect to how one gains possession is different for one catching a pass and one receiving a hand off.   A runner who receives a hand off gains possession once the ball is securely held after being handed the ball.  So the runner will have possession as he approaches the goal line thus only requiring him to break the goal line plane with the ball.

A person catching a pass manner of gaining possession is different.  A catcher of a forward pass must (a) catch and gain control of the ball, (b) have two feet down, or one body part above the knee, and (c) make a football move.  Once all three have been completed, only then does a receiver have possession of the ball.  So he needs to do all of those three plus have the ball in the end zone.  

If a receiver is in the end zone but does not complete the process of a catch, he does not have possession of the ball, thus can not complete the first requirement of a touchdown, possession.  Therefore it not a touchdown.      

If the pass catcher catches and has control of the ball before heading into the end zone, he is the same as a runner, no difference.

Possession, like Yehoodi explained, is granted for a runner that receives a handoff. So, the two feet and possession are already in place for the runner. 

There's actually not much of a contradiction between the two. The important thing is the ball-carrier, or the recipient of the football if it he's the receiver, needs to control the ball AND be in-bounds. Someone running the ball has already established himself as having full-control of the ball and being in-bounds; therefore, all they need to do is cross the goal-line. Receivers, however, need to demonstrate at the time they catch the pass that they qualify for these two conditions.

On 11/21/2016 at 8:31 PM, kcccolts said:

thanks guys for the info. When you see it explained like that it makes sense.

Thanks again.

Another point that might be helpful is the fact that on a hand off the ball is live and if dropped by the RB its a live ball.  On the other hand a forward pass (which is started by the forward motion of the QB) has a dead ball that if hits the ground is dead.  The WR needs to make the ball live again by gaining possession of the ball as i indicated in my prior post.  And the ball needs to be live for it to be a score or movement down the field.  That is why the WR needs to do a few extra steps than a RB as he has to revive the ball so to speak.  

I have to say that this game is more complex than I first thought, however I am really enjoying getting to know the little nuances that make it more enjoyable to watch.

Our football (soccer) appears to be less complex, except the offside rule!!!!!

Anyway, I really appreciate you all for taking time to answer my questions, and I am sure there will be a few more as the season continues.