Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone still mad Grigson drafted dorsett?

myic90

38 minutes ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

The Dorsett pick looks a lot better now because one, he's healthy, and two, Moncrief will be out for 4-6 weeks and we really have no depth at WR behind our top 3 guys.

NO TEAM has "depth at WR."

e.g. the Patriots outside of Julian Edelman are a bunch of scrubs at WR. Colts in 2006 at WR were scrubs outside of Harrison and Wayne. Broncos in 2015 were scrubs at WR outside of Thomas and Sanders.

Each team practically only needs 1 all-Pro WR, the rest can be filled in with 3rd rounders or after.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Malcolm Brown, Eddie Goldman, Stephone Anthony, even reached for Danielle Hunter.

We could have gotten Hunter in the 2nd. So we could have gotten both. But actually we could have came outta that draft with Ronald Darby, Danielle Hunter, Henry Anderson, and Stephon Diggs. But hey. I'd be happy with just Hunter over Smith.

2 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Maybe I misunderstand your question here, but if you literally mean when was the last time a RB/WR who's in the hall then by dint of the HOF election mechanism it is of course probably going to be a fair time ago that they won their last ring.

Now if you meant the last player who's HOF calibre we're into the realm of personal opinion and certainly not the cast iron fact you're presenting your argument as. We can however examine it from the other implication of your argument, in that you don't need to spend 1st rounders on skill positions to win a SB. Lets take a look at the recent history...

2015 Broncos - WRs (1 x 1st, 1 x 2nd, 2 x 3rd, 2 x UDFA) RBs (1 x 3rd Rounder, 2 x UDFA) TEs (1 x 1st. 1 x 4th, 1 x 7th)

2014 Pats - WRs (1 x 3rd, 1 x 4th,  1 x 5th, 1 x 7th 2 x UDFA) RBs (1 x 2nd, 1 x 4th , 4 x UDFA) TEs (1 x 2nd, 1 x 5th, 1 x UDFA)

2013 Seahawks - WRs (1 x 1st, 1 x 2nd , 4 x UDFA) RBs (1 x 1st, 1 x 2nd, 1 x 4th, 1 x 4th, 1 x UDFA) TEs (1 x 2nd, 2 x 5th)

2012 Ravens - WRs (2 x 2nd, 1 x 3rd, 1 x 4th, 1 x 5th, 1 x UDFA) RBs (1 x 2nd, 1 x 3rd, 1 x 7th, 1 x UDFA) TEs (1 x 3rd, 1 x 4th, 1 x 7th)

2011 Giants - WRs (1 x 1st, 1 x 2nd, 3 x 3rd, 1 x UDFA) RBs (1 x 4th, 2 x 7th, 2 x UDFA) TEs (1 x 3rd, 1 x 6th, 1 x UDFA)

2 hours ago, MSColtsFan said:

2015 Denver had Demaryous Thomas 1st round, 22nd overall. 

2014 New England had Vereen, Dobson, and Gronk, all second rounders.

2013 Seattle had Marshawn Lynch, first round 12th pick, and Golden Tate and Zach Miller, both second rounders.

2012 Ravens had Rice, second round, Torrey Smith and Anquan Boldin, also second rounders.

2011 Giants had Hakeem Nicks, first round 29th pick.

2010 Packers had Brandon Jackson, Jennings and Nelson, all second rounders. 

2009 Saints had Henderson a second rounder and Shockey a first rounder by the Giants. 

2008 Steelers had Santonio Holmes a 1st rounder, Heath Miller a first rounder..

You understood my question of what was the last HOF caliber skill player to win the SB.  You just decided to side step it.

Now you both went and listed all of the top draft pick skill positions of last few SB champions.  Thank you.  Of MSColtsFan list of the last eight SB champions only three drafted 1st round skill position players.  Seattle did not spend a 1st round pick on Lynch.  My specific argument was that you don't need waste 1st round picks on skill positions to win the SB.  From the lists 5 of the last 8 SB champions confirm my point.  If you go back farther you will probably see the same trend (at least in the hard salary cap era).

That's my only point.  You do not need it to win.  At best it is a luxury.  But the Colts are not a good enough roster to exercise that luxury.....especially not since the Manning era.

25 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:
26 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

We could have gotten Hunter in the 2nd. So we could have gotten both. But actually we could have came outta that draft with Ronald Darby, Danielle Hunter, Henry Anderson, and Stephon Diggs. But hey. I'd be happy with just Hunter over Smith.

I think hindsight is a useless way of looking at things. All GMs only wish they had hindsight before any draft.

No one was bashing on Grigson when we went 11-5 three years in a row but now that we went 8-8 it's tar and feather him now. That is not even a losing season but with the way some talk we were the bottom of the league.

36 minutes ago, tikyle said:

You understood my question of what was the last HOF caliber skill player to win the SB.  You just decided to side step it.

Now you both went and listed all of the top draft pick skill positions of last few SB champions.  Thank you.  Of MSColtsFan list of the last eight SB champions only three drafted 1st round skill position players.  Seattle did not spend a 1st round pick on Lynch.  My specific argument was that you don't need waste 1st round picks on skill positions to win the SB.  From the lists 5 of the last 8 SB champions confirm my point.  If you go back farther you will probably see the same trend (at least in the hard salary cap era).

That's my only point.  You do not need it to win.  At best it is a luxury.  But the Colts are not a good enough roster to exercise that luxury.....especially not since the Manning era.

If your question is in terms of calibre it becomes an opinion piece. Manning will no doubt be going in the HOF, so would that count? Previous to that I'd say Gronk is very much a HOF possibility. Some people are making the case for Lynch but I don't buy it. Besides HOF is a very high bar to set, you can be a dynamic game changing player without being in the bracket of the best of the very best. I

I still think you're being very obtuse in saying that any skill position player taken in the first round is a wasted pick. Now if you wanted to argue about the devaluation of certain positions, RB namely, there's a conversation to be had there. Even in that case I can foresee a pendulum swing back towards ground and pound as defences structure more and more towards stopping the pass.

Picking a player that you evaluate as having 1st round talent isn't a luxury, it's a sensible approach to drafting if your scouting is strong enough to make a robust board.

10 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

If your question is in terms of calibre it becomes an opinion piece. Manning will no doubt be going in the HOF, so would that count? Previous to that I'd say Gronk is very much a HOF possibility. Some people are making the case for Lynch but I don't buy it. Besides HOF is a very high bar to set, you can be a dynamic game changing player without being in the bracket of the best of the very best. I

I still think you're being very obtuse in saying that any skill position player taken in the first round is a wasted pick. Now if you wanted to argue about the devaluation of certain positions, RB namely, there's a conversation to be had there. Even in that case I can foresee a pendulum swing back towards ground and pound as defences structure more and more towards stopping the pass.

Picking a player that you evaluate as having 1st round talent isn't a luxury, it's a sensible approach to drafting if your scouting is strong enough to make a robust board.

I was just referring to skill positions, not QB.  Almost all of those SB champion QB's of the last eight years will make the HOF.

I don't feel those guys are wasted picks.  I just feel it is more of a luxury pick.  And I definitely feel that the Colts have not had that luxury since 2012.  Even if your scouts have the pick as a 1st round grade and even if it's the best available player on your board, if your roster is as incomplete as ours you just can't make that selection.