Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any interest in Spiller from the Colts?

Myles

2 hours ago, Bogie said:

Saints also released Keenan Lewis last month, which was the biggest shock. Him being our best defensive player the past 3 years, and his absence was easily recognizable Sunday. (But Jarius Byrd is still on the team, and he's been the worst defensive signing in forever and he's making a lot of money for this.)

Spiller was not the problem, neither was Keenan Lewis. This team is out of control with their cap issues and then cutting players because they simply cannot afford anyone at the moment. 

Saints are in cap hell. They lead the league in dead money. They've been in this 'win now' mode going on several years now. From time to time, they make signings and renegotiate contracts with Brees as if they are like the Patriots, but the problem is, NE wins, we don't. 

It's sad really that the Saints are wasting Drew Brees last couple of years because they have no Defense. Colts have no Defense so they are hampering some of Luck's prime years. Really frustrating. I like Drew Brees a lot, loved him when he played for Purdue! Dude is a HOFamer and the Saints cant put a freaking D around him? Colts are doing the same thing with Luck too.

Sorry IMOP I like Ferguson he missed a couple of assignments last week but over all he did a very good job if all the teams the colts face this year are going to load the box I would put Ferguson in the backfield he can catch the ball out of the back field and do some damage in the open, Frank can also come in and confuse the defense who will think this could be a run play. I believe the colts should use the RB a little more out on swing passes like they did against detroit this might help open the run game

5 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

He only had 112 yards on 36 attempts and 34 receptions last season.  He played in 13 games.

Did you watch any of those 13 games he played in, last year? The Saints main running back has been Mark Ingram for the past 3 years. Spiller was not an every down back. Where he was used on rushes, were from time to time on key formations. Cadet and Hightower seen more action than Spiller did on the offense, by the end of the season, Hightower played in replacement of Ingram. 

You also left out where he had 239 receiving yards on those 34 receptions, that's actually pretty good stats. 

Stats do not always tell the entire story. The Saints used Spiller in a similar way that they used Darren Sproles from 5 years ago. And you can look up Sproles numbers and find disappoint in them too, since he was used primarily for screen passing.