Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock Draft.....because my bracket was busted long ago

A couple of thoughts heading into my mock draft: 

- We have not signed any offensive linemen through free agency

- Depth is a real concern all over the roster

2016 NFL Mock Draft

1st - 18.) Jack Conklin OT/OG Michigan State: 6'6" 310 lbs

Similar to how Anthony Castonzo fell to the Colts in 2011, we are fortunate to have Jack Conklin fall to us in 2016. Conklin plays with a mean streak and offers versatility with the ability to play guard or tackle. From what I have read, Conklin has worked hard to improve his athleticism. While I have seen that some "experts" have questions about his ability to play tackle in the NFL, Conklin could end up being once heck of a right guard, a la Zack Martin, another former left tackle converted to guard. Their combine numbers are very similar: Bench: Conklin- 25 reps, Martin- 29 reps; 3 cone: Conklin- 7.63 sec, Martin- 7.65; 20 yd shuttle: Conklin- 4.57 sec, Martin- 4.59. 

2nd - 58.) Kyler Fackrell LB Utah State: 6'5" 250 lbs

I am projecting a trade back with Pittsburgh to pick up an extra 4th round pick. I could see Pittsburgh trading up to land a corner like Xavien Howard from Baylor. I really like Kyler Fackrell, and I know many of you view him as a 3rd rounder at best, but I do not see him making it past New England. Fackrell offers versatility in his ability to play inside or outside. He provides a pop to our pass rush and provides some much needed talent at linebacker. 

4th - 105.) Deion Jones LB/S LSU: 6'1" 225 lbs

I am projecting a trade back from our 3rd round pick to land San Francisco's 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks. San Francisco is loaded with draft picks and I could see them seeking to move up to land a talent that falls in the 3rd. I really like Jones, and he is another guy who I feel brings versatility to the defense. He is a bit raw, with only one year of starting experience, which is why I feel he slips to the 4th round, but he could play a role for us similar to how Deone Bucannon is utilized with Arizona, a safety/weakside linebacker. He is a talented player and athlete, he recently ran a 4.38 second forty at his pro day (compared to 4.59 forty at the Combine). Intriguing player. 

4th - 116.) Evan Boehm OC Missouri: 6'2" 310 lbs

Boehm fills a big hole at center. Great run blocker. He is tough as nails and has the ability to compete for a starting spot immediately. 

4th - 123.) DJ Reader DT Clemson: 6'3" 325 lbs

I do not see Reader lasting past the 4th round, similar to Justin Ellis going in the 4th in 2014 was a bit surprising. Reader is a one dimensional player at the moment, but he is one heck of a run stuffer. He provides tremendous depth on the defensive line and adds much needed size. 

5th - 145.) Matt Judon DE/OLB Grand Valley State: 6'3" 270 lbs

Judon is another player that I have a hard time seeing make it out of the 4th round due to the premium placed on pass rushers. Although he is from a small school, he dominated with 20 sacks in 2015. He combines production on the gridiron with outstanding physical attributes: 4.73 forty time, 30 reps of 225, 4.52 sec 20 yd shuttle. He may take a year or two to develop but similar to another small school gem (Robert Mathis), he could provide a huge boost to the defense.

5th - 155.) Cyrus Jones CB Alabama: 5'10" 195 lbs

Press corner who is a little on the shorter side. Great athlete who could contribute on special teams as a returner. I am not sure what D'Joun Smith brings to the table after an injury plagued rookie year. Jones is a skilled corner who provides depth. 

6th - 207.) Nate Sudfeld QB Indiana: 6'6" 230 lbs

As a Purdue guy, it pains me to pencil in an IU guy anywhere in my mock. I think Sudfeld has potential. He has great size, just has been a little injury prone during his time in Bloomington. I think Sudfeld would be a great quarterback prospect to groom and hopefully flip for higher draft pick in a couple of years. 

7th - 242.) Mike Thomas WR Southern Mississippi: 6'1" 200 lbs

Interesting prospect flying under the radar. Good size with good speed (4.53 second forty). Although wide receiver is not a huge need, Thomas offers solid depth as a 4th WR. He could develop into a solid receiver. 

I do quite like this.

Decent pickups all around. My only issue is that, outside of Conklin, I don't see many of these guys being impact starters.

I like the players, but I don't think Deion Jones beats out Geathers or Adams. I don't think Boehm beats out Holmes (unfortunately). Fackrell offers versatility but I cant see him being a starter at any of those positions, certainly this year. And so on...

It seems like you have gone for roster depth over impactful players. Players that fill a role but that role isn't that big.

Quantity over quality I would name this draft. I do admire the effort though, and it is just my opinion. Maybe I'm just having a bad day at work lol. 

I'm not getting the Jones love. I get it, he's fast, but your drafting a guy that early to come in and really only play passing downs. We already have a guy who can be a nickel LB/safety and that's Geathers. I wouldn't waste a 3rd round pick on Jones. Now a 4-3 team may end up targeting him early because he can walk in and be a 3 down guy immediately playing the WILL spot.

22 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I'm not getting the Jones love. I get it, he's fast, but your drafting a guy that early to come in and really only play passing downs. We already have a guy who can be a nickel LB/safety and that's Geathers. I wouldn't waste a 3rd round pick on Jones. Now a 4-3 team may end up targeting him early because he can walk in and be a 3 down guy immediately playing the WILL spot.

For me, Jones offers a great deal of potential. It is also a matter of value (as a 4th round pick in my mock) by adding a versatile player, who is a premium athlete, which allows for different defensive looks. He provides better size than a defensive back, but still provides athleticism which allows him to better match up with tight ends. 

22 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Fackrell=chuckle

What is it about Fackrell that you do not like? 

He is a versatile linebacker that has the ability to rush the passer AND drop into coverage. Our linebacker depth is laughable, outdone only by the talent we currently have on the roster. There is no reason to believe Trent Cole will provide anything resembling a pass rush next year. Walden is much better stopping the run. Mathis is still our best pass-rusher. 

Fackrell could step-in Day 1 and contribute. 

I feel that Matt Judon is a guy we can develop, but play situationally his rookie year. 

2 hours ago, Manning1887 said:

For me, Jones offers a great deal of potential. It is also a matter of value (as a 4th round pick in my mock) by adding a versatile player, who is a premium athlete, which allows for different defensive looks. He provides better size than a defensive back, but still provides athleticism which allows him to better match up with tight ends. 

Geathers is the same size as him, right now, and doesn't have to come off the field. Jones' only value would be in passing situations, at least for quite a while, until he gained the weight to become effective playing the run. "If" the weight is added will he now be as effective as he was in playing the pass? I'm not a fan of drafting "tweeners", especially not in the first couple of rounds, with the system we run. I honestly don't think he's someone the Colts will even look at unless he falls really far in the draft (rounds 5 and later). I still say he ends up with a 4-3 team who can use him every down as opposed to situationally, which is he would be used here. To me, the value isn't there to draft a guy like that in the first 3-4 rounds

On April 5, 2016 at 1:53 PM, BleedBlu8792 said:

My sentiments exactly. The Colts should not spend a high pick on a 1-down sub package player.