Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Track Guy's Final 2016 Ideal Mock Draft

Within the context of attempting to be realistic...

Pick 18: Jack Conklin, OL, Michigan St. - Gives the Colts an instant upgrade at the right guard spot and improves the depth and future of the right tackle spot. He is a good pass protector and a good run blocker. In my opinion, Conklin is a top 10 player in this draft and is tremendous value at 18. 

Pick 48: Kyler Fackrell, Edge, Utah St. - I believe Fackrell is a well rounded playmaker suited to play OLB in a 3-4 defenses. He's not a Von Miller type of pass rusher but he has drawn Connor Barwin comparisons. We need some depth and youth at this position. 

Pick 82: Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame - If Jaylon Smith falls into the 3rd I can see taking a shot on him. He won't play in 2016 but if he can recover fully in time, he could be a steal.  

Pick 116: Isaac Seumalo, C/G, Ohio St. - Competition for the center position. Seumalo has some versatility and pretty good movement skills. We've looked at him a bit I've read so maybe our staff likes what they've seen. 

Pick 155: Justin Simmons, S, Boston College - An underrated athlete and possible FS of the future. I think Simmons has a lot of upside with his length and speed combination.

Pick 239: Nelson Spruce, WR, Colorado - A possession receiver who was very productive in college. He's viewed as a guy who won't translate well in the NFL - I'm not sure that need be the case. Even if he's not going to be a pro bowler, he could be an excellent depth receiver. 

I've been thinking more about the possibility of the Colts drafting Conklin and letting him play rg for a year. That would give him experience and we could slide him to rt if need be next year and draft a good guard to replace him. If you get a good center in the 3rd or 4th we'd be set for this year on the o line. Fackrell is a guy I'd like in the second as well. I like Smith in the third. Even if he doesn't play in 2016 and Colts back healthy next year we get a top 10 talent at ilb with a third. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

So what do you think about the possibility of Conklin playing RG for the Colts? Maybe it wouldn't be a long term thing but Conklin could beat out Thorton today for the starting RG spot.

I also really like Fackrell.

Yes, I think Conklin could step in and play RG at a high level. Much like Zack Martin made the transition from LT to RG and played well for Dallas as a rookie. I also think that after Reitz's contract is up we slide Conklin out to RT. 

I really like Conklin. I don't think he takes Thorntons job as a rookie. I don't know how Philbin thinks about Reitz as continuing to be that 6th Lineman like staff felt last year but I think Conklin can play RT day 1

Fackrell is more of a 3rd round pick to me, I think we can get a better player in the 2nd but I like Fackrell

Jaylon likely wont be around to see the 3rd round

I like Seaumalo

Have not watched Simmons or Spruce yet

I really like the Kyler Fackrell pick! He is a versatile linebacker who can play inside or outside. I have seen the Connor Barwin comparisons. I also like the Seumalo pick. 

I would pass on Conklin. He reminds me of Gabe Carimi, a first round bust out of Wisconsin in the 2011 draft. 

In my opinion, it would be really tough to pass on Mackensie Alexander, CB from Clemson. I realize we just signed Patrick Robinson, but he largely plays in the slot. We have no idea if D'Joun Smith can play, and Darius Butler had a rough year last season.