Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Things Really Change In Indy

Rich Cannon

To say the least I am not to happy with the news of Jim Caldwell retaining his job for at least one more year. I was under the impression with some of Irsay comments that we were moving in a completley new direction. Yes I do like our new Gm. He seems to have a passion and fire for his new role. Keeping Caldwell simply means more mediocre defense, Tampa 2 style play, almost never blitzing forcing only 4 down lineman to get a pass rush. This isnt going in a new direction in my opinion. I dont think Caldwell is a good coach because of lack of in game adjustments especially on defense, not because of his facial experessions or other nonseinsical reasons. I think hes a class act guy I just dont believe in his schemes of ideas on defense. Do the players like him, absolutley. But this defensive system we have in place simply is unexceptable and must change in order for us to be a serious Super Bowl contender. We shall see :ticked:

To say the least I am not to happy with the news of Jim Caldwell retaining his job for at least one more year. I was under the impression with some of Irsay comments that we were moving in a completley new direction. Yes I do like our new Gm. He seems to have a passion and fire for his new role. Keeping Caldwell simply means more mediocre defense, Tampa 2 style play, almost never blitzing forcing only 4 down lineman to get a pass rush. This isnt going in a new direction in my opinion. I dont think Caldwell is a good coach because of lack of in game adjustments especially on defense, not because of his facial experessions or other nonseinsical reasons. I think hes a class act guy I just dont believe in his schemes of ideas on defense. Do the players like him, absolutley. But this defensive system we have in place simply is unexceptable and must change in order for us to be a serious Super Bowl contender. We shall see :ticked:

While I am in favor of getting a new coach, moving in a "completley new direction" would be foolish considering the success we have had over the years.

I don't know that Cladwell is a champion of the Tampa 2 and the things you mentioned have a lot more to do with the DC than Cladwell. The new DC showed that he was a lot more capable of making mid game adjustments than Coyer was. But I don't know if Murphy will be given the job or not.

Either way if we can play a great version of the Tampa 2 then I don't have a problem with it. The key is whether or not we can.

Id love the change our D scheme because im tired of the whole zones stuff that every team seams to pick apart easily. however, a lot of it is the players we have on D and coaching. The bears use the same defense (trough Rod marinellis does change it a bit every now and then) and they are one of the top defenses...I guess talent and either a new DC or Murphy turns out to be the good thing are the major needs for this team.

While I am in favor of getting a new coach, moving in a "completley new direction" would be foolish considering the success we have had over the years.

I don't know that Cladwell is a champion of the Tampa 2 and the things you mentioned have a lot more to do with the DC than Cladwell. The new DC showed that he was a lot more capable of making mid game adjustments than Coyer was. But I don't know if Murphy will be given the job or not.

Either way if we can play a great version of the Tampa 2 then I don't have a problem with it. The key is whether or not we can.

its the HC's job to tell the DC to change defense around mid game if somethings not working. And its also Jims job to draft a game plan that works and that failed terribly for the last 3 years on defense. Those are my biggest problems with him. You just cant play a soft zone coverage every down and expect to stop anyone.

its the HC's job to tell the DC to change defense around mid game if somethings not working. And its also Jims job to draft a game plan that works and that failed terribly for the last 3 years on defense. Those are my biggest problems with him. You just cant play a soft zone coverage every down and expect to stop anyone.

Yes, but if the DC can't or won't make those changes it doesn't matter. Of course you can fire him but the Colts won't make any changes! Oh, no wait scratch that last part.

While the soft zone has given me a lot of grey hairs a Tampa 2 or variation of, can be very effective if played right. The coverage was a lot better in that regard the last couple of games.

As far as the last 3 seasons is concerned you are overexagerating. 2009's D was pretty good. They were 3rd in league in scoring D untill the last 2 games when they sat a bunch of the starters.

I am in no way oppsed to a new system for the D but if we keep the same one I have no problem IF we can play it well.

Yes, but if the DC can't or won't make those changes it doesn't matter. Of course you can fire him but the Colts won't make any changes! Oh, no wait scratch that last part.

While the soft zone has given me a lot of grey hairs a Tampa 2 or variation of, can be very effective if played right. The coverage was a lot better in that regard the last couple of games.

As far as the last 3 seasons is concerned you are overexagerating. 2009's D was pretty good. They were 3rd in league in scoring D untill the last 2 games when they sat a bunch of the starters.

I am in no way oppsed to a new system for the D but if we keep the same one I have no problem IF we can play it well.

Well in regards to coverage it was alot better, and 2009's D was descent but what were our run defensive stats, how many turnovers did we generate? how many sacks did we have? We have been in the bottom 3rd of the league in most of these categores because of scheme for the last few years. But if it works ill be the first to admit it, you do make some valid points as well

Id love the change our D scheme because im tired of the whole zones stuff that every team seams to pick apart easily. however, a lot of it is the players we have on D and coaching. The bears use the same defense (trough Rod marinellis does change it a bit every now and then) and they are one of the top defenses...I guess talent and either a new DC or Murphy turns out to be the good thing are the major needs for this team.

the bears run more of a cover 2, not tampa 2 but the bears players are much better at almost every position on defense as you stated

Same ol same ol. I for one was looking for change. Even WITH Peyton I thought our offense was starting to REGRESS the last couple of years. No multiple formations or imagination in the play calling. If Peyton was given a REAL oc or head coach I'm sure he'd be putting up INSANE numbers with a MEDIOCRE run game just like Brady, Brees and Rogers. Even Eli is putting up crazy numbers. Instead we are left with grind out EVERY possession counts with NO room for error (i.e bad timeouts, non challenges or do what we do game plans) More of the post game not to down when we lose and the philosophic spin on the outcome. Let's not forget as we watched on national tv that coaching staff TRY absolutely NOTHING different as the Saints dropped 62 POINTS on the Colts. Hopefully the new gm can at least SURROUND Caldwell with some up and coming star assistants so that his input will be MINIMUN at best. If the Colts start moving in the direction of the BIG, strong, AGGRESSIVE defense with a couple of headhunters sprinkled in, MAYBE it will give SOME glimmer of hope that things will TRULY start changing as Irsay stated.

How much do we really want to change? We've been great for years! 2010 we went 10-6 with a ridiculous amount of injuries. 2011 was an off year with an asterisk. I'm totally only with Caldwell having one more shot. Maybe Polian really WAS holding him back. Who knows! We'll see....

Same ol same ol. I for one was looking for change. Even WITH Peyton I thought our offense was starting to REGRESS the last couple of years. No multiple formations or imagination in the play calling. If Peyton was given a REAL oc or head coach I'm sure he'd be putting up INSANE numbers with a MEDIOCRE run game just like Brady, Brees and Rogers. Even Eli is putting up crazy numbers. Instead we are left with grind out EVERY possession counts with NO room for error (i.e bad timeouts, non challenges or do what we do game plans) More of the post game not to down when we lose and the philosophic spin on the outcome. Let's not forget as we watched on national tv that coaching staff TRY absolutely NOTHING different as the Saints dropped 62 POINTS on the Colts. Hopefully the new gm can at least SURROUND Caldwell with some up and coming star assistants so that his input will be MINIMUN at best. If the Colts start moving in the direction of the BIG, strong, AGGRESSIVE defense with a couple of headhunters sprinkled in, MAYBE it will give SOME glimmer of hope that things will TRULY start changing as Irsay stated.

What are you on about Manning does put up crazy numbers for the two years he has played under JC with a non existent running game and he would of done the same this year but he was injured. If you really think Jc is holding Peyton back he must be awful at it as he has won an MVP and got to a superbowl in his 2 years under Caldwell. Yes he does need an agressive DC but only because he isnt a defensive minded guy.

Does any one else feel like this is ( A 2010 Dallas Cowboys year with Wade Phillips) for the 2011 Colts. The Cowboys didn't play for their coach and he was let go, once Jason Garrot came in as HC they played hard. I just feel ( in my opinion ) the players wanted Caldwell gone and gave no effort. Sure, at the end of this season the Colts played hard. But did they do this just for their jobs sake. Don't get me wrong Caldwell seems like a great guy, but ultimately he is the one drawing up the schemes and the game plan for every Sunday. Sure our Defense looked week this year, but why kill yourself s every Sunday knowing your Offense cant put up points.

Colts fan win or lose!!!