Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's finally build that Monster DL

With the great DL class in the upcoming draft, I started to think that the Colts should take advantage by selecting not 1, but 2 impact DL players in rounds 1-4. If a player like A'Shawn Robinson fell to 18, I wouldn't oppose picking him to be Indy's dominant NT. If Indy went a different route round 1 like LB, then I would love to select someone like Vernon Butler round 2. A few players in round 3 and 4 I like a lot are Jihad Ward and Chris Jones.

I for one would love a dominant nasty DL that doesn't allow opposing QBs or RBs to breathe. That would make everyone else on the defense better as well.

I'm not a fan of Robinson. It's been said before, but Alabama is a system school with a lot of system players .

Robinson is no exception. He's not a bad player but he doesn't have any standout traits IMO. There's nothing special about him or Reed. Alabama has dominant defensive lineman every year.

But if we're talking lineman at #18, give me Billings or Buckner if he somehow slips. A Buckner and Anderson combination would be special. Round 2 I like Rankins. I need to research Butler more.

I agree with Defjamz.  Alabama produces pros but they never have a great impact because they are system success.  Other than Marcel Dareus they have not produced anything but a handful of Linebackers and of course Wide Receivers.  IMO Reed will be a solid pro but there are other potential picks at #18 I would love more.  If Buckner somehow fell then that would be a huge impact player for us IMO.  I would love and hope for Vernon Butler and Chris Jones in rounds 2 and 3 if somehow possible.  First round I would still target CB or LB.

You know good and well Buckner is not falling to 18.  Billings I like, but I think you're wrong about Robinson.  Robinson is a real good player to me.  Alabama has produced some good D lineman and linebackers in the NFL so I don't agree with the system comments.  Marcel Dareus and Wallace Gilberry ain't bad and Saban has produced a number of good linebackers from that school.  Not just linebackers to be honest with you.  You also have guys like, Andre Smith, Julio Jones, Eddie Lacy,  Ha Ha Clinton Dix, Donta Hightower, AJ Mccaron.  It's not just limited to linebackers.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

You know good and well Buckner is not falling to 18.  Billings I like, but I think you're wrong about Robinson.  Robinson is a real good player to me.  Alabama has produced some good D lineman and linebackers in the NFL so I don't agree with the system comments.  Marcel Dareus and Wallace Gilberry ain't bad and Saban has produced a number of good linebackers from that school.  Not just linebackers to be honest with you.  You also have guys like, Andre Smith, Julio Jones, Eddie Lacy,  Ha Ha Clinton Dix, Donta Hightower, AJ Mccaron.  It's not just limited to linebackers.

Buckner is a top 20 lock but not a top 10 lock. He could go anywhere from 11-20, which is in our range. It really depends on needs. The Buccaneers and Bears are good fits but they could use pass rushers. There are a couple of QB needy teams in that range as well.

Also, no one is saying Alabama never produces good NFL players, but they have a lot of system players who get overrated. For every Eddie Lacy, Julio Jones, Dareus,etc... there's an equal number of Mark Barron's, Trent Richardson, Josh Chapman's, etc...Robinson is just an average prospect IMO. When Alabama took him out and put Reed in, they looked like the same guy. Again not saying they're bad players, but neither should go in the top 20.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Buckner is a top 20 lock but not a top 10 lock. He could go anywhere from 11-20, which is in our range. It really depends on needs. The Buccaneers and Bears are good fits but they could use pass rushers. There are a couple of QB needy teams in that range as well.

Also, no one is saying Alabama never produces good NFL players, but they have a lot of system players who get overrated. For every Eddie Lacy, Julio Jones, Dareus,etc... there's an equal number of Mark Barron's, Trent Richardson, Josh Chapman's, etc...Robinson is just an average prospect IMO. When Alabama took him out and put Reed in, they looked like the same guy. Again not saying they're bad players, but neither should go in the top 20.

Alabama's hit rate is likely similar to or better than average.  Negative association with NFL performance is a function of overexposure....we remember their player failures because they have had more of them, simple volume of prospects, and we know their names better due to hype.

11 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Josh Chapman don't belong in the same sentence as Reed and Robinson. Both are superior talents compared to Chapman

But remember what people on this board were saying. "Chapman was going to be a 2nd round pick but his injuries pushed him down".

I agree that Robinson and Reed are superior though.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

But remember what people on this board were saying. "Chapman was going to be a 2nd round pick but his injuries pushed him down".

I agree that Robinson and Reed are superior though.

He was never a 1st or 2nd round talent however no matter what anyone said. He provided almost no pass rush and was a 2 down player at Alabama. He was a day 3 prospect all the way in my opinion injury or not

I'd prefer at pass rusher at 18 or whoever the BPA is.  If that turned out to be Ashawn I wouldn't trip too hard about it.  I can see some assesments at 2nd round at the worst.  I think Ashawn can play all over the line and he's pretty athletic along with having good strength and movement.  Should be ready for instant playing time coming from Saban. Should be able to adapt to the pro game pretty quickly to me. To each his own of course. I think Buckner is a little bit better but I know that guy will not be available at our pick.

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm not a fan of Robinson. It's been said before, but Alabama is a system school with a lot of system players .

Robinson is no exception. He's not a bad player but he doesn't have any standout traits IMO. There's nothing special about him or Reed. Alabama has dominant defensive lineman every year.

But if we're talking lineman at #18, give me Billings or Buckner if he somehow slips. A Buckner and Anderson combination would be special. Round 2 I like Rankins. I need to research Butler more.

They havnt been too dominant..... Dareus and Cody are the only Bama defensive lineman to get drafted in the first 4 rounds going on decade.