Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Noah Spence, QB's-Mayock Senior Bowl Game Notes

I was watching the second half of the Senior Bowl yesterday, and it gave me a chance to hear Mike Mayock opine on what he had noticed over the week. As Spence tracked down the QB, Mayock said over the course of the week, Spence was the best player at his position, and there was a huge drop between him and the next player. He did say the DE position did not have a lot of depth this year as in past years. He loved how he got to the QB, his motor, and felt even with his off field problems which Spence has addressed, that he felt Spence would go high because of being the best this year in an area of need almost every team has. He also felt he would do well at the combine, which does not bode well for everyone who would like him with a horseshoe on his helmet. Daniel Jeremiah was interacting with Mayock when talking about Spence, and Jeremiah felt the same about how much better Spence was at his position.

One other not I found interesting, Mayock was talking about QB's and how the teams drafting 2-4, Cleveland, San Diego, and Dallas really needed to look at the top QB's and pick one if they liked one. Cleveland I fully understood, Dallas because of Romo, and this is his third season being injured, he is 36, and I don't know how much longer the shoulder can hold up, and although he still loves Rivers, he felt he was at an age with all the hits he had taken over the years, it may be time to start looking for the heir apparent. Not sure I agree with him on that, but the point is, before we get to the 18th pick, I believe 3 QB's, Wentz, Goff and Lynch will all be gone. Regardless if Dallas and S.D. take a QB, St. Louis, oops I mean LA needs a QB even though they drafted Mannion last year, 49'ers, Bears, all are teams who need to think QB.

My point is this helps us as far as Jaylon Smith hopefully dropping down to 18. I was reading here on the Forum Smith was doing really well after surgery, but his surgery was only one month ago, his people are putting out the "he should be ready for the beginning of the season", and an ACL injury usually takes 9 months for rehab. Smith was an ACL and MCL, and I think Smith will go in the first round, but I think there is a good chance he will be there at 18. Whether we grab him, do not know. So much is going to happen after the combine. So many guys will post great numbers, GM's will fall in love with them, and guys we don't even know will move up, and others will drop.

I just thought it was really interesting on what Mayock and Jeremiah had to say yesterday. It was more interesting than the game at times.

I still think spence will slide to us in the second. players from small schools have a hard time getting first round attention anyway and then you add in off the field issues I just dont see it happening. no team will be willing to take a risk like that in the first imo

I would be happy if we got Smith at 18 and somehow Spence feel to us in the 2nd round, but I don't believe Spence will be there in the 2nd and they both may not even be there at 18. So if either is there in the first we need to take them because they will instantly upgrade our defense, and I think Smith will play at least half the season.

On 1/31/2016 at 9:48 AM, CR91 said:

I still think spence will slide to us in the second. players from small schools have a hard time getting first round attention anyway and then you add in off the field issues I just dont see it happening. no team will be willing to take a risk like that in the first imo

Spence played 2 years at Ohio State and played very well his Sophomore year. I don't think him playing for EKY is going to hinder him and his drug issues are already being dismissed by NFL teams as a non-issue. I don't think he makes it out of the top-20.

6 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Spence played 2 years at Ohio State and played very well his Sophomore year. I don't think him playing for EKY is going to hinder him and his drug issues are already being dismissed by NFL teams as a non-issue. I don't think he makes it out of the top-20.

I don't think the drug issues are going to be a major factor, assuming all his background checks out.

But the transfer and EKY issue might come into play. He didn't play a lot in 2012 at OSU, then had a good 2013 before being dismissed. So really just one year on tape. Then he sat out 2014, and had a good 2015 against small school competition. I'm not sure his tape at OSU three years ago is going to be a big factor. 

But I do think he's working his way into the first round.

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think the drug issues are going to be a major factor, assuming all his background checks out.

But the transfer and EKY issue might come into play. He didn't play a lot in 2012 at OSU, then had a good 2013 before being dismissed. So really just one year on tape. Then he sat out 2014, and had a good 2015 against small school competition. I'm not sure his tape at OSU three years ago is going to be a big factor. 

But I do think he's working his way into the first round.

I think what he showed his Sophomore year against BIG Ten competition, I would assume, would add some weight to what he's been showing now. I mentioned in your thread on Noah that had he stayed playing/developing at OSU I think he ends up being an easy top-10 guy. He possibly could have graded out higher than Bosa. Sure, I think the smaller competition and move hurt him, but I don't think it's enough to knock him out of the first round. 

If he's there at 18 do you pull the trigger? 

6 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I think what he showed his Sophomore year against BIG Ten competition, I would assume, would add some weight to what he's been showing now. I mentioned in your thread on Noah that had he stayed playing/developing at OSU I think he ends up being an easy top-10 guy. He possibly could have graded out higher than Bosa. Sure, I think the smaller competition and move hurt him, but I don't think it's enough to knock him out of the first round. 

As of today, I think I'd be fine with Spence at #18.

My question is will Grigs look past the Ecstasy/Drug issues?  Spence could be fine as of right now when he's got no money, but would he return back to that stuff once he gets some money in his pocket?  Very hard to quantify, but Grigs has said himself the character risks guys he looks to around the 4th round or lower.   Hard to say

1 hour ago, krunk said:

My question is will Grigs look past the Ecstasy/Drug issues?  Spence could be fine as of right now when he's got no money, but would he return back to that stuff once he gets some money in his pocket?  Very hard to quantify, but Grigs has said himself the character risks guys he looks to around the 4th round or lower.   Hard to say

If he interviews well and shows that he has a strong mentor/support group to keep him straight, I don't think Grigson will question it. I do agree though, hopefully there won't be a relapse once the kid gets money in his pocket. He's got a bright future if he can stay clean. Man it would be rough being Grigson on draft night, it's the Colts pick, and you have the opportunity to pick up a guy like this.

Excuse NSFW lyrics at the end..

Noah Spence Highlights

9 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

If he interviews well and shows that he has a strong mentor/support group to keep him straight, I don't think Grigson will question it. I do agree though, hopefully there won't be a relapse once the kid gets money in his pocket. He's got a bright future if he can stay clean. Man it would be rough being Grigson on draft night, it's the Colts pick, and you have the opportunity to pick up a guy like this.

Excuse NSFW lyrics at the end..

Noah Spence Highlights

After watching his highlights I think it's safe to say Hackenberg isn't a fan of Spence haha 

2 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Yes, but I think he will go top 12

I'm solidly in the Spence-in-Round-1 camp.  But I really don't like the fit of many other possible 3-4 OLBs if we miss out on (or pass up) Spence.  My next best option to Spence would be Victor Ochi, who looked very Robert Mathis-like at the East West Shrine game.   I've fallen in love with him and would pencil him in way earlier than most think he'll go if I were GM.  (It's probably a good thing I'm not GM...)

I'm starting to get a good feel for Kevin Dodd right now.  I think he's a real good ball player to be honest. I think his pass rush and over all skill set translates into the NFL real well.  I'd be giddy if we could end up with him and Shaq Lawson at the same time.  Or if we could somehow get Spence and Kevin Dodd I'd do extra back flips!

I've been high on Spence since day 1. He's who I'm hoping for at 18. Each of the last 2 years there's been 1 player that I really, really wanted. Moncrief 2 years ago, and Anderson last year. Now hopefully it'll be Spence this year. I think right now, he's the best pass rusher in this class. Its possible Leonard Floyd can be even better when its all said and done, but I think Spence is a safe pick. I see him as a yearly double digit sack guy. As for the drug issues. He's cleaned up his act and gotten off the Ecstasy and grown up and kept his act together. He was young and made mistakes, like a lot of young guys do. Now had he been on Opiates I would be concerned about him relapsing at some point, but with his issue I don't think there's much risk there. It seems more like a being young, dumb and partying type thing that led to him using a recreational drug too much.