Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading down

Cut
Andre Johnson 
Trent Cole 

Kelechi Osemele OT/OG 5/42
He is a versatile lineman who took over for Baltimore at LT the last couple of games. We can bring him in and move Retiz back to RG.

Reggie Bush RB 1/1.5
This is a band aid at RB. Reggie had a break out year at Miami and we brought the former HC to be OL coach. He also was used as a receiving threat in Detroit. The mix of Gore and Bush can sustain us until the great RB class of 17.

Morris Claiborne CB 3/16
New system and lower expectations could do wonders for this former top 10 pick. Pags worked wonders with Davis coming out of college Claiborne was rated higher as for as talent and abilities. This could be the steal of FA if he comes close to his potential.

Tashaun Gipson FS 5/35
The Browns only have 1 franchise tag. They potentially could have Mack and Schwartz leaving from a o-line that should be protecting a rookie QB. Gipson falls through the cracks and we scoop him to pair with Geathers for the future. 

Trade down with Redskin and pick up a 3rd

Redskin pick Ezekiel Elliott
It makes sense for the Redskins to jump ahead of the Jets who has both running backs hitting free agency.

1. Nick Martin C 6'5 300lbs Norte Dame
This is a reach but very important for this line and to show Luck we are serious about keeping him. Both Pouncey brothers who play center was drafted between 15 and 20 in the 1st round so this is not heard of.

Pro Comparison: Nick Mangold

2. Kyler Fracker OLB 6'5 245lbs Utah State 
He played 3-4 OLB at college giving him a big learning curve coming into our defense. He is good against both the run and pass rushing while showing the ability to also drop into coverage.

Pro Comparison: Ryan Kerrigan

3. Yannick Ngakoue OLB 6'2 245lbs Maryland 
Undersized but he has a non stop motor and has proven himself against NFL talent.

Pro Comparison: Baby Robert Mathis

https://youtu.be/NIbE2jCi684

3. Artie Burns CB 6 190lbs Miami 
Long athletic built CB who also was on the track team at Miami. He can play on the outside with great closing speed for off man coverage.

Pro Comparison: Bashaud Breeland

https://youtu.be/XYJwRJcCbFo

4. Landon Turner OG 6'3 325
One of the top senior guards out there. He falls because of his lack of ability to play multiple position on the line. This move gives us wiggle room for injuries or in the future if we choose to play Mewhort at RT.

Pro Comparison: Jeff Allen

5. Terrance Smith ILB 6'4 220lbs FSU
A tall lanky but aggressive tackler. He can drop into coverage and step right in and play special teams. He should be able to step in for D Jax next year.

Pro Comparison: Telvin Smith

https://youtu.be/YJzV8Pr_iUE

7. D'haquille Williams WR 6'2 225 Auburn 
Griggs has shown he is willing to gamble on WR we had Brazil and Rodgers. Williams is a big body WR who typically line up in the slot. He has decent long speed and can box out LB or CB for the ball.

Pro Comparison: Braylon Edwards

https://youtu.be/bU0KCXWpvGs

I'm all for trading down for more picks if Jaylon Smith doesn't make it to us. But you don't trade down and then pick a C without a first round grade. That's a waste. Would rather wait and get Dan Voltz in the 3rd.

If we trade down I want a first round player. Mackensie Alexander? Jack Conklin? Taylor Decker? Shaq Lawson?

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Any person a team wants to trade up with us for is going to be someone we should consider getting ourselves (unless it's a QB), so we probably shouldn't trade down. Plus the Colts likely won't pick this high again for awhile. Better take advantage of it.

You're assuming that all teams see all players the same way.

The Colts had Phillips Dorsett ranked in the teens, and yet he fell all the way to 29.

Teams rate and grade and value players differently.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're assuming that all teams see all players the same way.

The Colts had Phillips Dorsett ranked in the teens, and yet he fell all the way to 29.

Teams rate and grade and value players differently.

And now that the Colts pick at 18, they don't have to hope a guy they have rated in the teens falls to 29. Or even better, if there is a player they have rated in the top 10 who falls, 18 is a perfect place to take him. 

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

And now that the Colts pick at 18, they don't have to hope a guy they have rated in the teens falls to 29. Or even better, if there is a player they have rated in the top 10 who falls, 18 is a perfect place to take him. 

Agreed.

That's why I'd prefer not to trade down this year in the first round.

I think the round to trade down is the 2nd.     I think we pick 48th.

A trade back of only 5 slots gets the Colts a 4th round pick.     

Unless we fear that the player we want won't be there if we trade back,  I'd hope we'd seriously consider moving back for an extra #4.

We need it.

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

Morris Claiborne, ROTFlmao. What a waste, wouldn't even be worth a roster spot.

He's a man corner who's been stuck in a zone scheme for his entire career. Get him back in to what he's comfortable with and you may see a completely different player. If he's able to be had cheap, he's worth the risk.

20 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

He's a man corner who's been stuck in a zone scheme for his entire career. Get him back in to what he's comfortable with and you may see a completely different player. If he's able to be had cheap, he's worth the risk.

Exactly! A change in scheme can make or break a CB. Nnamdi Asomugha went from one of the best man corners to play to a chump when he went to Philly and played in their mainly zone scheme. If the deal is good, you go for Claiborne. If nothing else, he can be solid depth. He's gotta be better than our #4-5 CB at worst.

I agree UK, but I would rather it be another experienced CB, like the other three you named. I am not really big on a corner in the first round, but I do like Maurice Canady in the later rounds and feel he is going to be good as a press corner in the NFL. So if we are able to get Claiborne on a short cheap deal, like say 2 years $2 million dollar range, that gives us another year or two  to see what we have in D'joun Smith. Then if Smith doesn't develope we can add someone early in the draft in 17' or 18'.