Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denver vs Carolina

RockThatBlue

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

They have to have someone to shadow Cam...that pass rush will open up lanes that Cam can run 20 yds on at will if they leave him alone and turn and cover the receivers. They need to get a push up the middle again and force him into Ware and Von on the edge.

I agree....Denver has to figure out how to play that spread read offense...they have struggled against Russell Wilson in the past...have they learned enough to take on Cam....that's a big question....you have to contain...and get after him. Tough tough task.

It was Jack Del Rio. Russell Wilson is more elusive, Cam is more powerful and does not juke you nearly as much, he just runs over you. Von Miller has to show up and he was the #2 pick in the 2011 draft that Cam was #1 in.

Wade Philips will borrow from (cough cough) John Pagano book of playing Russell Wilson when he played outside contain and beat him in game 3 last year when the Chargers played the Seahawks. Packers almost beat them with solid outside contain as well till that onside kick happened.

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

From the same thought process that said: NE by 14 

NE and Carolina are 2 completely different teams with Carolina being the much better team. As I stated earlier I took the points against NE, so no, that wasn't my thought process. Maybe someone else's though.

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It was Jack Del Rio. Russell Wilson is more elusive, Cam is more powerful and does not juke you nearly as much, he just runs over you. Von Miller has to show up and he was the #2 pick in the 2011 draft that Cam was #1 in.

Wade Philips will borrow from (cough cough) John Pagano book of playing Russell Wilson when he played outside contain and beat him in game 3 last year when the Chargers played the Seahawks. Packers almost beat them with solid outside contain as well till that onside kick happened.

Russell Wilson also hasn't played behind an OL as good as what Cam has had this year either. I still say it will be Carolina's defense that has the major advantage, and again, I will be surprised if Manning makes it through one half. Unless Denver finds a way to get 10 OL out there to protect Manning it's going to be a long day for Gramps..

4 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Russell Wilson also hasn't played behind an OL as good as what Cam has had this year either. I still say it will be Carolina's defense that has the major advantage, and again, I will be surprised if Manning makes it through one half. Unless Denver finds a way to get 10 OL out there to protect Manning it's going to be a long day for Gramps..

I totally agree there on the OL strength.

Denver might have to do more 2 TE sets than 3 WR sets just to protect Peyton but then, those formations have been a staple of Kubiak's offenses. It is not the same old Peyton Manning timing offense and Peyton ironically played against the Ron Rivera defense against the Bears and against the Chargers, so I am certain Peyton has seen enough of his Ds to ask his TEs to stay in or know where the pressure is coming from. It will be a long day no doubt but Peyton has seen plenty of long days in his life and persevered :).

Let's not act like Peyton hasn't seen blitzes or D-line pressure like the Panthers will be bringing. 

25 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I totally agree there on the OL strength.

Denver might have to do more 2 TE sets than 3 WR sets just to protect Peyton but then, those formations have been a staple of Kubiak's offenses. It is not the same old Peyton Manning timing offense and Peyton ironically played against the Ron Rivera defense against the Bears and against the Chargers, so I am certain Peyton has seen enough of his Ds to ask his TEs to stay in or know where the pressure is coming from. It will be a long day no doubt but Peyton has seen plenty of long days in his life and persevered :).

Let's not act like Peyton hasn't seen blitzes or D-line pressure like the Panthers will be bringing. 

Of course Peyton has seen this type of defense before,  but those read and react skills just aren't there any more. New England was pressuring him a ton after that first TD drive. I don't think Carolina is going to have to blitz much to get to Peyton and that's going to make it even harder with Carolina being able to sit 6 or 7 in to coverage and still be able to put consistentry pressure.

5 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Of course Peyton has seen this type of defense before,  but those read and react skills just aren't there any more. New England was pressuring him a ton after that first TD drive. I don't think Carolina is going to have to blitz much to get to Peyton and that's going to make it even harder with Carolina being able to sit 6 or 7 in to coverage and still be able to put consistentry pressure.

More than that, I don't think he has an Edge or Addai for blitz pickups, those kept him upright so many times during the Colts days. Even if he can point it out, the OL and RB quality is not the same that he is enjoying now. His OL and his RBs have time and again failed with the pickups, so it was a miracle that that they managed 20 points. Again, it will come down to the Broncos' D and you can only hope 2 weeks of preparation would help with some level of protection being better than this last week.

5 hours ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

It's in the Script for Denver to Win.

I hope so. I want Peyton to win. Carolina is a heck of a team, and Cam is playing out of his mind good. The Denver D needs to hit Cam a lot like they did Brady. If that happens and Peyton stays mistake free Denver wins in a close one IMO. Should be a heck of a game.

9 hours ago, bababooey said:
8 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

wow.....I dont see how he can play if his arm is really broken..

I'll have to see that to believe it

last night while they broadcasted a replay of the Bronco --Pat game

NFL network had news scroll saying he had surgery yest. Morning and unless there is a setback with a brace he should be able to play

I want Denver to win no doubt.  However, I always compare Cam to Andrew and how their team is built to how I'd kind of like our team to be built.  So, I would like that model to hold up against all other teams.  So, Denver this year and from here on out Colts vs Panthers in a new rivalry for a new era.

Carolina started fast against Seattle (then died) and against Arizona then trickled off so here's a question, should Carolina get off big in the first half and Manning not proficient at the long ball would Kubiack insert Osweiller only because of his long ball ability and mobility even of Manning has looked good in the first half?

12 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I hope so. I want Peyton to win. Carolina is a heck of a team, and Cam is playing out of his mind good. The Denver D needs to hit Cam a lot like they did Brady. If that happens and Peyton stays mistake free Denver wins in a close one IMO. Should be a heck of a game.

MODERATORS  - every time I quote 1 comment i get a different comment posted, I got the above when trying to quote MOOOSE OF WOE below when they are on 2 different pages yet

Moose Of Woe

Posted Sunday at 10:47 PM · Report post

Very good defense+very good offense

VS

Great defense+inept offense

Going with CAR, but hoping DEN pulls it off. CAR is unquestionably the more rounded/better overall team, but DEN's defense can make them essentially invincible if the offense doesn't put them in bad spots.

You like this  Unlike this

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moose 

heard how this is misleading by few so called experts saying Denver is forced to go into a full game mode as doesn't score many points

They say Carolina has the better D & , pass rushers and DBs etc when u consider they get big leads in first half and have averaged giving up 6.5 points in first half  and basically play prevent defense in second half which allows scores and distorts the stats

They have far more takeaways than Denver & win in the turnover category compared to Denver

I myself dont have the ability to check all the above out buts its an interesting hypothesis

22 hours ago, King Colt said:

Offenses sell tickets, defenses win games. Broncos will win primarily because the Panthers will spend four quarters celebrating and dancing.

Hope that's the case. But, very unlikely about the celebrations. Also agree with you about defense. No doubt this game will be won on the lines. Carolina has a very formidable defense as do the Broncos. A defensive struggle favors Denver. Experience at QB becomes much more critical during these types of games. Peyton has that, Newton does not. At least, not yet. 

Denver wins this IF they can protect Manning & disrupt Newton consistently. If not, it goes to the Panthers.

Don't know much about the brain trust people in Carolina but Denver has Kubiack, Philips, Elway and Manning to go over their strategy. I don't see this game going the way a lot of people expect from previous games. I am thinking why Carolina is so much better in the first half than the second half as in the games against Seattle and Arizona. Manning had a funny line in his interview today when he said Carolina has 14 on the board before the guy singing the national anthem is done.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Denver will win but I wont have a score until closer to game day. I want to see the health of both teams and their body language throughout the week. I do know Denver has the best Defense in the league and teams are 9-2 in SB's when having the #1 Defense in the league.

One of those losses was the team last year that could have handed it off to the best back in the NFL for 1 more yard.

10 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Don't know much about the brain trust people in Carolina but Denver has Kubiack, Philips, Elway and Manning to go over their strategy. I don't see this game going the way a lot of people expect from previous games. I am thinking why Carolina is so much better in the first half than the second half as in the games against Seattle and Arizona. Manning had a funny line in his interview today when he said Carolina has 14 on the board before the guy singing the national anthem is done.

Denver also has the number 1 D after playing 7 regular season games against a playoff team and the Colts. Carolina played 4 plus the Colts. Colts gave both a hard time (beat Denver and were winning in OT to Carolina).

17 minutes ago, bababooey said:

One of those losses was the team last year that could have handed it off to the best back in the NFL for 1 more yard.

Yes it was. You know what I don't know the other haha That would be a great trivia question. I knew last seasons Seattle was one of them but the other has me stumped and I don't even feel like looking it up.

16 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Denver also has the number 1 D after playing 7 regular season games against a playoff team and the Colts. Carolina played 4 plus the Colts. Colts gave both a hard time (beat Denver and were winning in OT to Carolina).

That win over Denver was an excellent team win. Andrew looked Great didn't he?