Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

4 Superbowl appearances. 4 different head coaches.

Moose Of Woe

12 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't think his personnel was good up the middle of the defense, which is the most important place for a Cover 2 defense to be strong. We had bad DTs, merely average MLBs (Brackett was overrated, but very smart), and pretty good safeties when healthy. 

The Bucs defense is the ideal, and he put that thing together from scratch with a front office that gave him exactly what he needed.

Results are what they are, like you said: great offense and a lacking defense, with almost no special teams help. For seven years.

No help from the special teams is an under statement. How many games were the Colts in the lead or in a position to take the lead when the special teams gave up huge returns?

14 hours ago, Moose Of Woe said:

We had some juggernaut offenses, but he was a defensive minded guy. Our defenses, by and large, were NOT good. It was a design that played to "hang on" instead of to go out and WIN. It relied on the offense essentially killing the other team to get the most out of its design. It's was highly flawed.

You can argue we had some good SCORING defenses, which is true. Unfortunately we'd often give up long, time consuming drives and get run over all day. A problem that persists to present.

Thankfully, the defense showed up for a 4 game stretch in 2006 and kicked butt after being absent all year long. For over a decade, the offense dragged a bad defense (and horrendous special teams) to the playoffs.

That's why I think Dungy underachieved. Although thankfully 1 SB came of it.

If you think Dungy underachieved, you must really hate what the Colts have now. You forget that Caldwell, who you say is a terrible coach, got to the Super Bowl. It is not clear to me that the Colts will get to the Super Bowl in the next decade. Wasn't it thirty years between Super Bowls before Dungy took them there? I think Dungy was a very good to great coach everywhere he went.

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Dungy is being considered for the Hall of fame not because he was the first African American HC to win a superbowl but because he was an innovative coach that devised a defensive scheme that was an effective counter to the popular dink and dunk offense at the time.  It was so effective that the system was copied by many teams and his coaching tree became very popular.

That's a really good point. Not that he made up Cover 2, but he did pioneer it, and it worked well with the right personnel. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

No help from the special teams is an under statement. How many games were the Colts in the lead or in a position to take the lead when the special teams gave up huge returns?

Good kickers and punters. Every once in a while we'd get a big return.

2 hours ago, Live and let live said:

If you think Dungy underachieved, you must really hate what the Colts have now.

I'm not particularly a fan of Pagano.

That being said, our special teams have been leagues better in recent years than their former amazing levels of ineptitude. (Outside our kickers and punters.) Gone are the dark days of the crowd screaming, "KNEEEEEEEEEL!" whenever we received a football in fear of the doofus returner putting it on the ground or running 20 yards backward.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It always came up to bite us in the rear when a team with great special teams was the opponent.

Scifres on San Diego still gives me nightmares, and he's STILL really ,really good.

4 hours ago, jet1968 said:

I think Kubiak is the best coach for Manning at this time. Kubiaks offense  emphasis' the run game more 

The problem is, they can't run consistently. It's a combination of the backs and blocking.

Kubiak didn't exactly have stellar offenses in HOU, either.

Basically what happens every game is DEN runs 20 times for -2 to 2 yards, and then gets one or two plays a game that go for long (10+) yard runs. Sometimes a lot longer and even a TD.  Honestly though I don't think a couple of great runs offset a buttload of bad ones. When the run game clearly does not work, sticking with it seems rather foolish. I'd do what the Pats do at that point and stick with 3-5 yard easy short passes at a time as a run substitute.

Speaking of the Pats, they  kept trying to run last night when it clearly wasn't working. That was out of character for them...but I'm sure a lot of it had to do with Brady getting drilled non stop.

Back to the Bronco's run game, it's been good in a few games this year. However for those games where it is clearly NOT working, I really wish they'd get away from it.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The 06 AFC championship game I had to hold my breath every time we kicked the ball off...

12 minutes ago, Moose Of Woe said:

The problem is, they can't run consistently. It's a combination of the backs and blocking.

Kubiak didn't exactly have stellar offenses in HOU, either.

Basically what happens every game is DEN runs 20 times for -2 to 2 yards, and then gets one or two plays a game that go for long (10+) yard runs. Sometimes a lot longer and even a TD.  Honestly though I don't think a couple of great runs plays offsets a buttload of bad ones. When the run game clearly does not work, sticking with it seems rather foolish. I'd do what the Pats do at that point and stick with 3-5 yard easy short passes at a time as a run substitute.

Speaking of the Pats, they  kept trying to run last night when it clearly wasn't working. That was out of character for them...but I'm sure a lot of it had to do with Brady getting drilled non stop.

Back to the Bronco's run game, it's been good in a few games this year. However for those games where it is clearly NOT working, I really wish they'd get away from it.

agreed

i noted this elswhere

Vs Carolina, This may be a game Elway may come to wish he did that trade for Joe Thomas, diff was Browns wanted a 3rd round compensation draft pick Vs Elways offer of a 5th, the rest of the trade and the Cost was OK Elway had said

Man Thomas would Shore up that 0 Line, giving better pass protection, give Peyton time and a pocket to step up into  and superior Run blockage and get Harris back to RT helping entire O line adjustment

& carolina will have they said Jared Allen back for SB 50

On January 25, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

I think Peyton Manning is the first QB ever to go to the SB twice with two different teams.

Nope CD my friend. Kurt Warner did it with the Rams & Cardinals. 

Wait, I misread your post...My bad...Scratch that. You were right & I was wrong even though I initially believed I was right. Do 2 rights make a wrong or does my wrong elevate your right to new heights of praise? SW1 is giving myself a headache. Quit while I'm ahead or am I behind? Hades if I even know anymore man. Bye. :D