Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Free Agency and Mock Draft (Updated)

Here is my latest free agency and draft mock for the Colts. Let me know what you think...

Free agency

Cuts - Andre Johnson, Trent Cole, D'Qwell Jackson, Josh Mcnary, Jonathan Harrison

Resigns - Coby Fleener, Billy Winn, Adam Vinatieri, Jerrell Freeman, Dwight Lowery, Jack Doyle

Restructures - Art Jones

Free agent signs - OG Kelechi Osemele, CB Trumaine Johnson, CB Casey Hayward, C Stefen Wisnewski

Draft

Round 1 Pick 26 (SEA): Jaylon Smith, OLB/ILB, Notre Dame (B)
Round 2 Pick 26 (SEA): Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville (A)
Round 2 Pick 31 (ARI): Kyle Murphy, OT, Stanford (B+)
Round 3 Pick 19: Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia (A-)
Round 4 Pick 18: Paul Perkins, RB, UCLA (A)
Round 5 Pick 16: Yannick Ngakoue, OLB, Maryland (A)
Round 7 Pick 18: Leon Allen, RB, Western Kentucky (A)

Trades - Indy trades 18th pick to Seattle for 26th, 2nd round pick , Indy trades 2nd round pick to Arizona for their 2nd, 2017 3rd

Just now, danlhart87 said:

Try to do a mock without a trade

Alright next one I will, but keep in mind that I believe Grigson has made at least 1 trade every draft he has done.

And my mock draft is more along the lines of what I would do in the best interest of the team.

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Alright next one I will, but keep in mind that I believe Grigson has made at least 1 trade every draft he has done.

And my mock draft is more along the lines of what I would do in the best interest of the team.

Not sure about 2014....   If he did one here, it might've been a 7....  

But you're right that he's done one in '12, '13 and '15....

That would be a killer free agency! If Grigs can make that happen then he needs to do it.The draft is good, but swap Jenkins with Murphy in the draft order and it would be more realistic. I like Sheldon Rankins, but if there is a pass rusher there when we pick we need to seriously look at one. Ngakoue won't last till the 5th IMO. All in all I think this combo of free agency and the draft is one of my favorites.

This wouldn't help our pass rush at all. I mean if all we do is draft a pass rusher in the 3rd round then Grigson needs to be sent to the crazy house or nut house or whatever you call those places. And Jordan Jenkins isn't even that good at rushing the passer. I like the FA signings. A lot actually. We would be set on the O-Line and at Corner. But then we'd have to use 2 early picks on pass rushers. If we signed those free agents we should go Leonard Floyd in the 1st and Noah Spence in the 2nd. Plus I'd try and trade for Dion Jordon. I mean we need to be overly aggressive in addressing the pass rush this offseason. Don't just bring in 1, bring in 3. Then most likely at least one of those guys are going to produce early on.

59 minutes ago, crestmount said:

Why the love for Wisnewski?  Do we really want a Center who even Jacksonville wouldn't want to keep?

He was really good this year. And he's never been bad at all. He was kind of like slightly above average maybe. But I think this was his best year. Signing Osemele and Wisnewski could possibly give us a top 5 or top 10 offensive line.

I like it, except wisnewski. It would be nice to get Tashaun Gipson safety from Browns or eric berry.  And go after Boone or Foster ifwe cant get Osemele. I agree with your assessment, I would love to at least get 1 good corner in free agency and use the draft on pass rush.

Here is my updated 2 mocks, 1 with trades, the other without. The trades I did make, I tried to make them close to realistic and beneficial for the Colts.

Draft (with trades)

Round 1 Pick 28 (K.C.): Jaylon Smith, OLB/ILB, Notre Dame (B)
Round 2 Pick 17: Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky (A-)
Round 2 Pick 28 (K.C.): Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville (A)
Round 3 Pick 19: Kyle Murphy, OT, Stanford (A)
Round 4 Pick 13 (DET): Paul Perkins, RB, UCLA (A)
Round 5 Pick 12 (DET): Jack Allen, C, Michigan State (A)
Round 5 Pick 16: Deiondre' Hall, CB, Northern Iowa (A)

Trades - Indy trades 18th overall and 4th round pick to KC for their 1, 2, 3 round picks. (KC is very close to competing for a championship so there could be a player they are eyeing to move up for here.)

- Indy trades 3rd round pick acquired from KC to Detroit for their 4, 5 round picks. (Indy moves down quite a bit here so this is a realistic trade. Makes up for Indy losing their 4th to KC.)

Draft analysis - Jaylon Smith makes too much sense if Indy thinks he'll make a full recovery within a year. A long term ILB is much needed with Jackson getting old and the uncertainty with Sio Moore. A local kid with immense talent, Smith would be a very popular pick here. Spence is a great value in the 2nd, and falls due to his character issues. But with Pagano and Monachino's guidance, he could be molded into the next great OLB. You all know how highly I think of Sheldon Rankins. Could be the next Kawann Short. Kyle Murphy serves as the potential long term solution at RT. Perkins is an underrated speed and pass catching RB that is much needed especially if Indy switches to a ZBS. Jack Allen competes with Khaled Holmes right away for the starting C spot. In this scenario I don't have the Colts signing C Wisnewski. Deiondre Hall is a small school prospect with lots of talent at CB. He is also lanky at 6-1. Leon Allen serves as the power back to complement Paul Perkins.

Draft (no trades)

Round 1 Pick 18: Jaylon Smith, OLB/ILB, Notre Dame (B-)
Round 2 Pick 17: Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky (A-)
Round 3 Pick 19: Kyle Murphy, OT, Stanford (A)
Round 4 Pick 18: Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech (A+)
Round 5 Pick 16: D.J. White, CB, Georgia Tech (A)

Draft analysis - With this draft, some more free agents may need to be signed. A center, OG, starting CB, and RB are all needed. (Possible targets include Lamar Miller, Kelechi Osemele, Stefen Wisnewski, Trumaine Johnson, Casey Hayward.)

11 hours ago, BProland85 said:

But never in the 1st round. I don't see any reason why they would finally get a somewhat high pick just to trade down. Especially considering people want us to trade up when we pick in the 20's.

50 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Yes there is.  Youget 2 picks for one, and both players will be on cheaper contracts.  No one trades 2 picks to move up 6 spots, unless it's a 2nd and 4th or 5th to move up 6 in the first.....

I'm saying there's no value in that particular trade. If I'm a GM, I'm not moving down 8 spots and missing out on a much higher rated player just to pick up a 4th round pick. I'd consider it maybe for a 3rd if there will still be players I really like after trading down.