Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ben Rothlisberger

oldunclemark

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Ben will play.  He may not be as sharp overall as Big Ben can be, but will still be quite effective at times.  OTOH, I think throws on the run, those across his body, and deeper shots will look less impressive.  His injury is a pain and functionality issue.  Since the AC joint is not a weight bearing joint, he could also get an injection in it (like Toradol) to lessen swelling, which might lessen pain some as well.

I expect Ben to look much better in the first half, especially in the pass rush starts getting to him.  I think Tyrod Taylor suffered something similar in week 11 against the Pats, was limited in practice all the following week and played fairly well vs. the Chiefs; with most of the damage in the first half.

Peyton is rested (foot and arm), and should be able to step into his throws.  This should be one fun game to watch.

21 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

They say Ben has 2 injuries...Do you understand them.

Can you pain-kill a ligament tear...?  I dont know

When you have an AC joint separation, some soft tissue damage also occurs.  The MRI Ben had showed no additional soft tissue injury above the expected, so no need for further imaging/monitoring there.  Throwing in game may aggravate it some, but unless he lands on it again, or on an outstretched elbow/forearm, he should be able to soldier through. If he lands on it... the all bets are off to any additional injury and ability to continue. In any event, he will be OK for next year so no need to hold him back based upon long term prospects aspect.

Keeping swelling down and pain managed (especially on the throws follow through) is the fight here.  If they can do that without an injection, players are usually opting for that and enduring additional pain.  It is a pain and performance item at this time.

From what you're saying, I;m guessing he'll start the game (maybe each half) near 100% and his velocity may decrease as he gets further away from the break.

I'd guess he'd go without the pain killer and use it at the half if he feels he needs it.

I don't think the Broncos hare going to have any misgivings about hitting him to knock him out

49 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

From what you're saying, I;m guessing he'll start the game (maybe each half) near 100% and his velocity may decrease as he gets further away from the break.

I'd guess he'd go without the pain killer and use it at the half if he feels he needs it.

I don't think the Broncos hare going to have any misgivings about hitting him to knock him out

Well, he is injured, so no, he's not 100%, but at a level that makes him preferable over the backup.  He won't recover all that much at halftime, I feel, to be at a level at the start of the game.  But maybe he doesn't aggravate it much and doesn't get sacked on it.  He might be close.  But it is safe to assume as the game goes on his performance might deteriorate steadily.  We'll see.

55 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

No they should not try to target him like that. I don't think anyone here would be too happy if they tried to rough up Manning either who might still have some foot soreness.

This game has had me worried about injuries and I hope I am wrong. I just hope everyone can make it through in one piece regardless of who wins.

Just so much injury build up to this one it can make me nervous for player safety, especially after Bengals/Steelers.

as it will be a cold weather game there is a chance of the weather causing some increased stiffness

he is fine when reaching back, its the forward motion of throwing that gets limited or thats when the pain starts

As far as those saying he is a drama queen , well the injury was real, the exact extent we may never really know as this drama queen stuff maybe  part of his nature but  Brian Billick calls him one

However this injury looked real, that shoulder was driven into the ground hard, There always is gamesmanship with injuries so who knows exactly , Just Ben & Pit Staff

as noted in

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/1/16/10778482/brian-billick-calls-pittsburgh-steelers-quarterback-ben/in/10471025

Billick implies that Big Ben is talking up or being a 'drama queen' about his shoulder injury. He believes Ben will appear hurt before launching two deep passes for touchdowns.

There's no one tougher than Ben Roethlisberger by far in the NFL, but he's a drama queen. He's gonna come out on that field. That arm's gonna be limp. It's going to look like he can't even lift it. Then he's going to crank off a 60-yard bomb to Martavis Bryant. Then he'll carry it back into the huddle, holding it like it's in a sling, and then he'll crank off a 40-yarder

==============================

of interest is can Peyton's foot handle a full game , he is not 100% till way after the season is over

would Peyton even start , no matter what one reads if Brock was healthy, Brock was so banged up from all the sacks taken he hardly was hardly able to walk when Peyton went in for him , due to a knee injury from the gam,e he left, and didnt take a practice rep till Friday, in fact Kubiack was thinking of using a roster spot for PM, Brock & Trev Siemian the 3rd stringer up untill he saw Brock could throw on Friday

Both teams injury reports &

Osweiler showed coach Kubiak enough on Friday that he will be the backup quarterback for Peyton Manning and ready to play if needed on Sunday.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/1/15/10776404/denver-broncos-vs-pittsburgh-steelers-injury-report-osweiler/in/10471025

Before Friday

The news wasn't as good for backup quarterback Brock Osweiler. He missed his second straight practice today and still has a noticeable limp according to reporters who are at Dove Valley. Brock continued to work on the side with trainers, but it really looks like either he will be inactive, or the Broncos will activate three quarterbacks for Sunday's game. With that said, Kubiak expects Osweiler to practice on Friday.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/1/14/10770590/denver-broncos-vs-pittsburgh-steelers-injury-report-von-and-malik/in/10471025

Once the game starts and as it progresses only then will we know how Ben really throws

how Peyton can handle throws with accuracy, can either offensive line protect their QB  from worse damage

--

Edited by bayone
Tried to readjust sizing , sorry friends, been awhile since replying and not used to new site

42 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Nice to see you again Barry!

Appreciate, know its rare & iI am better off doing PT Etc & taking care of myself

just gonna relax upstairs and watch game, so wont be near computer to keep posting

Take care 

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:10 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Big Ben will play.  He may not be as sharp overall as Big Ben can be, but will still be quite effective at times.  OTOH, I think throws on the run, those across his body, and deeper shots will look less impressive.  His injury is a pain and functionality issue.  Since the AC joint is not a weight bearing joint, he could also get an injection in it (like Toradol) to lessen swelling, which might lessen pain some as well.

I expect Ben to look much better in the first half, especially in the pass rush starts getting to him.  .

You called it.., CBF!

Ben throw for almost 800 yards in 2 games against Denver

Some would say he is a drama king and plays up his injuries to make him look tougher.  That may be so, but this time his injury was real and he had to 'live up to' playing through the pain.  I do not know if he took a shot or not.  But when he was full practice on Friday, I knew was better than Landry Jones already, and thus still a very dangerous QB albeit with some small limitations. Funny thing is, uninjured and with Antonio Brown, I think the Steelers are headed to Foxboro. Alas, Peyton played well (not always his team mates though) and outlasted them.

I give props to Ben. He did step up.  And congrats to Peyton, as it seems he did well, but more importantly, was doing better as the game rolled on despite issues along the way.

14 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Some would say he is a drama king and plays up his injuries to make him look tougher.  That may be so, but this time his injury was real and he had to 'live up to' playing through the pain.  I do not know if he took a shot or not.  But when he was full practice on Friday, I knew was better than Landry Jones already, and thus still a very dangerous QB albeit with some small limitations. Funny thing is, uninjured and with Antonio Brown, I think the Steelers are headed to Foxboro. Alas, Peyton played well (not always his team mates though) and outlasted them.

I give props to Ben. He did step up.  And congrats to Peyton, as it seems he did well, but more importantly, was doing better as the game rolled on despite issues along the way.

I thought he did quite well and was pleased he lasted as long as he did and didn't seem to get hurt further in anyway.

I won't lie, it kinda sucked. I feel with him 100% and Brown that yes......they might have won. I like to see teams play at full strength in the playoffs if possible. I had picked Pittsburgh a long time ago to win the AFC but I can't account for injuries happening either.

Broncos have a good defense and the Steelers when healthy had the offense this year. They had met their match IMO with the injuries and were never able to punch in the TDs despite having some chances to move down the field.

And Manning looked better as the game went on then I had predicted as well.

If I was the Steelers I don't think I would feel let down by this postseason too badly. I think they did well winning a playoff game for the first time in years and making it to Denver and fighting so long in it. 

It's not the year of the WC team after all despite the first weekend road frenzy win streak lol.

On January 14, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Narcosys said:

Ryan Clark,  fomer teammate,  said Ben likes to exaggerate his injuries so he can play the hero and have an excuse if they lose.  

To tell you the truth, I'm not going to infer that Big Ben is a wimp or a pushover because he's not. No, I'm not a medical Dr. & I would never presume to know the severity of any injury he sustains on the field. 

But, anytime a former teammate who won Championships with you says  that. It does carry considerable weight with me as a frequent NFL game viewer. 

On January 16, 2016 at 10:10 AM, Mr Clueless said:

Of course he is going to play. All I can think about is this:

tumblr_inline_ny0k9c7llw1rqfc4i_500.gif

tumblr_inline_n4gw0bJO3w1squ7a6.gif

HA! HA! Great Monty Python 'Holy Grail' film reference Mr. Clueless. 

"None shall pass." 

"Look, you bloody fool. I cut  your leg off! 

"It's just a flesh wound." 

"Come on ya Pansy!

"Come back here! I'll bite your legs off!"

On January 17, 2016 at 2:47 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Nice to see you again Barry!

I second CBFL's sentiments here. It's wonderful to see a post from Bayone again. Welcome back! 

We missed you man. I know you have a busy work schedule brother. I hope all is well with you. 

Remember to set aside some quality down time for yourself okay. Just saying...

On 1/10/2016 at 9:12 AM, oldunclemark said:

I'm not exactly sure what I saw with him Saturday night..

...Big Ben got sacked and was carted off the field, indicating that it would have aggravated his injury more if he walked off

When he came back....he stood and watched aa his team turned the ball over in what should have been their final possession.

When Cincy was lucky enough to get the ball back....al of a sudden....with no further treatment, Ben went back in and threw short passes..

....Ben obviously told Mike Tomlin he could go back in and he wanted to...

But if it was bad enough for him not to go in on his first post-injury possession, how did he go back in 5 minutes later?

And what is that injury...because he's not talking about it.

It was a great, great come-from-behind moment for Ben and the Steeelrs....but how did he do it and what exactly did he do?

In all honesty, I think he just had to wait for the pain medicine to kick in.  Also it wasn't that great of a come from behind moment for the steelers or Ben, it was the refs giving them the game with 2 personal foul penalties that gave them 30 yards and a chip shot FG.